Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6r limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was the happy owner of a 2018 3.6 Limited Outback at the end of January.

On Friday someone's door was caught by the wind and slammed into my passenger mirror. They found me and gave me their insurance information.

Today I took it in to the dealer I have been using for years to get an estimate.

They evidently backed it into a low hanging door which just caught the Shark fin Antenna and nearly ripped it off, denting the roof and leaving the antenna no longer flat.

While they assure me that they will fix it I wanted to get some opinions. How can you fix a nasty roof dent to be like new? I spent a lot of time and effort to get this car and intend to keep it pristine but everything seems to be fighting me. From a Dash bolt the factory didn't screw in all the way (dealer had to re-tap the hole) to the Rear view mirror and immediately this Antenna and roof damage.

Opinions?

Picture of Outback and the Antenna included.:crying:

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,863 Posts
Can't really see the damage to the roof itself in that picture so it is hard to say if a decent repair can be done.

Is this a dealership with a body shop or do they use an independent shop for their work?

Sucks about the problems so early on in ownership. But I know from personal experience that stressing out over it isn't worth it in the long run. Then again that is easy to say when it happens to someone else.

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,045 Posts
If there's a dent or other VISIBLE distortion in the roof panel, I'd suggest calling SOA while you see what the dealer does.......roof panels are prone to flexing and vibration in normal use.......PDR (Paintless Dent Removal) is NOT an option on the roof, just in case the dealer tries to handle the situation with that process.

I agree that stressing over it may not be worth the trouble BUT if the dealer or whomever the dealer uses, fixes the roof, a less than perfect job can troubles for you a year or two later........what's your recourse then? Sitting in the hot summer sun, a "repaired" roof dent might just become more obvious even if worked on.

If you're going to stress at all, NOW's the time to do it. Push the dealer to consider an even trade new car.........you have to be 110% assured that the roof wasn't in some way stressed by the antenna bring yanked upwards.......how do you get that assurance? It was in the care of the dealer, it's now his/her problem to rectify. Don't get in the way, just oversee the process and don't help the dealer out by being too agreeable.

Sorry for your trouble BUT they have to satisfy you NOT just "fix" this damage........if the dealer can't guarantee your satisfaction in writing for the life of the care as long as you own it, it's up to SOA to get involved.

My two cents.......if your car was in perfect condition before the dealer visit, it HAS to be afterwards.....period

Steve

·
Registered
2018 3.6r limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply,

I have opened a case with SOA. I appreciate the advice.

If there's a dent or other VISIBLE distortion in the roof panel, I'd suggest calling SOA while you see what the dealer does.......roof panels are prone to flexing and vibration in normal use.......PDR (Paintless Dent Removal) is NOT an option on the roof, just in case the dealer tries to handle the situation with that process.

I agree that stressing over it may not be worth the trouble BUT if the dealer or whomever the dealer uses, fixes the roof, a less than perfect job can troubles for you a year or two later........what's your recourse then? Sitting in the hot summer sun, a "repaired" roof dent might just become more obvious even if worked on.

If you're going to stress at all, NOW's the time to do it. Push the dealer to consider an even trade new car.........you have to be 110% assured that the roof wasn't in some way stressed by the antenna bring yanked upwards.......how do you get that assurance? It was in the care of the dealer, it's now his/her problem to rectify. Don't get in the way, just oversee the process and don't help the dealer out by being too agreeable.

Sorry for your trouble BUT they have to satisfy you NOT just "fix" this damage........if the dealer can't guarantee your satisfaction in writing for the life of the care as long as you own it, it's up to SOA to get involved.

My two cents.......if your car was in perfect condition before the dealer visit, it HAS to be afterwards.....period

Steve

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
355 Posts
Not to make light of your situation, but sometimes I admit I feel relieved when a car picks up its first scratch or ding so I can stop obsessing about it. I clearly remember when I inflicted the first scratch myself on my BMW with careless handling of a lawnmower. But it does always suck when it happens so soon after taking delivery. Our Mazda picked up a parking lot dent in the first two weeks we had it, then never another damage incident in the past three years!

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,045 Posts
Thanks for the reply,

I have opened a case with SOA. I appreciate the advice.
I don't mean to appear to be a curmudgeon or nasty old geezer BUT I would never assume that the dealer, no matter how good it appears to be or has been in the past, will do the "right" thing when they're responsible for damage to your car........they run a business not a friendship relationship.

Our NH dealer, who we now have purchased new Subes from twice, is great....BUT, several months ago, we sent a friend to them to get a new Forester. The deal went well and all was good. On the drive home after picking the new car up, the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree and the engine died on the side of the road. It was a cold, rainy N.E. night. After a 2.5 hour wait, Subaru Roadside Assistance showed up and flat bedded the new car to the dealer they picked it up from. Dealer response was that they'd have to get someone to see what happened and it might take several days.........our friend demanded a new car and they were happy to give it to him.....but, bottom line, had he not demanded an exchange, they'd have not offered it.......in fact, the sales person agreed with them that a new car would be the best thing to do......

You buy a new car, it craps out and the only fair thing for a dealer to do, IMHO, is to offer a new car. Why should the customer (and a new one to Subaru!) lose confidence in their new purchase much less wait to see what the troubleshooting process would find?

Ditto the dealer damages the car while it's in their care......

Please report back and let us know how it works out.

Steve

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
So long as it is just a dent and not a crease, a good PDR guy will make it good as new.
Second that. You'll probably always know it's there, but we have a guy here that makes door dings look like they never happened. A roof ding you may have to drop the headliner, so be careful about broken clips. Other than that, it's not an issue to repair a roof that got hit by hard rain such that you can't tell it ever happened. Lord knows we see enough of that around here.

·
Registered
2018 3.6r limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lord knows we see enough of that around here.
Sad thing is after living in Tuttle, OK off and on over the past decade I avoided all the hail damage out there only to have this happen to my new car in Ohio.

I opened the case with SOA. I won't be accepting less than perfection over damage the dealer caused.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
737 Posts
Not to make light of your situation, but sometimes I admit I feel relieved when a car picks up its first scratch or ding so I can stop obsessing about it. I clearly remember when I inflicted the first scratch myself on my BMW with careless handling of a lawnmower. But it does always suck when it happens so soon after taking delivery. Our Mazda picked up a parking lot dent in the first two weeks we had it, then never another damage incident in the past three years!
Crap that's funny my 1st scratch was the same way lawnmower while turning it while walking backward... sucked but it was very minor.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My wife did the same thing to her car. You should see the dent in the garage door!

A couple things of which to be aware. The shark fin is attached to the roof via a post which sticks down through a hole in the roof. The post is threaded and a special nut with integral washer is used to tighten down the shark fin. During the accident the nose of the antenna rotates down while the aforementioned washer pulls upward. So the roof is deformed in opposite ways at two points under the antenna. This is relevant because the water sealing is achieved via two o-rings under the antenna - one near the outer perimeter, and a second nearer the threaded post. The roof must be reasonably flat for the o-rings to achieve a seal to provide water tightness. So it has to be fixed right.

That said, it doesn't appear too difficult to do so. I performed some amateur PDR, which was sufficient to fix the wife's car and it has been admirably watertight through some recent downpours.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited w/Eyesight
9 Posts
I’ve notice that when washing our Outback that the roof antenna doesn’t seem to have much substance on the back side of that panel - lots of panel flex in that area. It almost seems as though there is little to no reinforcement of the panel itself. If that is the case, then PDR will be challenging. Not saying that it can’t be done, but my dad did PDR for a number of years and roofs were always a challenge. The key to PDR is to have some resistance to push the dent against and if the roof flexs too much during the repair, it just gets flat out difficult to get the repair done right.

SOA and the dealer need to make this right. Through no fault of your own, the dealership has done damage that may or may not be reparable to your satisfaction. Press for a replacement if it does not meet your standards/expectations.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,863 Posts
I am very picky considering I have had this car 2 months.
I won't be accepting less than perfection over damage the dealer caused.
This happened to my '09 Toyota Matrix that was less than six months old with about 5,000 miles on it. Pretty sure it happened in the parking lot at work but being on the passenger side I didn't see it right away. Left side is the dent and the right is after it was repaired. PDR wasn't an option with the cracked paint and the crease. Very nice job on the repair and they blended the paint into the rear door and front fender. Door handles and headlight were removed rather than painting around them. A quality repair went a long ways in helping me get over the damage but it still sucked.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
They admitted fault so that’s good. The key with a repair at this point is to have zero effect to your resale value (Carfax etc) pdr with no insurance claim gets pretty close if they can do it. Accidents in service bays are pretty common. I think it’s the nature of piece work - always in a hurry for $$$$.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
What I find refreshing about your post is that both parties admitted fault and reported it to you. Wish the same person that slammed my wife's Cherokee passenger door had been so honest. In this case, I know the damage happened while she was parked at work. The damage was done by one of her co-workers.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
If the dealer has an accredited body shop then it's not a terrible issue to repair back to normal. I would maybe leverage in a discount on future services or an accessory due to the inconvenience.

I think maybe contacting SOA was a bit premature unless they made repairs and it wasn't satisfactory. Not entirely sure of the procedure, but if SOA opens a work order of some kind for the dealer then this may show up as an accident on your vehicle history rather than the dealer just fixing it pro bono and not recording it.

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,045 Posts
If the dealer has an accredited body shop then it's not a terrible issue to repair back to normal. I would maybe leverage in a discount on future services or an accessory due to the inconvenience.

I think maybe contacting SOA was a bit premature unless they made repairs and it wasn't satisfactory. Not entirely sure of the procedure, but if SOA opens a work order of some kind for the dealer then this may show up as an accident on your vehicle history rather than the dealer just fixing it pro bono and not recording it.
Normally, I'd agree w/you and let the dealer take his best shot BUT, given the nature of the damage (and I cannot see any surface damage but believe that the vertical twisting tension on the shark fin could easily distort the sheet metal!), I never want to assume that the work will be done flawlessly (I say this from some painful experience in the past, NOT a Subaru, BTW!). A fender or door panel is ne thing, a roof panel is another level of complexity. Also think that it's important to document what happened before any repairs are attempted by the dealer or their sub-contracted body techs, while any panel damage is visible.

No matter how good a given dealer is, knowing that SOA is aware and in the background always helps guarantee a better outcome. As for the dealer, it'll almost surely think about this damage and the resulting costs to them as they continue to shuttle cars around in their lot.....

In any case, I would try to get some future maintenance visits picked up as a gratuity to compensate you for the trouble and time.....

Again, hope that they do the right thing whatever you deem that to be!

Steve

1 - 20 of 104 Posts