Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 VDC Outback sedan
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had my Lincoln, the boys at one of the Lincoln forums had negotiated a standing deal with a Ford dealership. Actually I'm guessing one of the dealer employees was a member and probably offered to discount them. All you had to do was call them up with your part number, mention you were a member of the forum, and you got a nice discount off your part.

Are there any Subaru dealer's doing this for us? I looked in the forums but didn't see anything.

I need a cruise switch! lol.

·
Registered
2002 VDC Outback sedan
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Speaking of cruise, i notice (when mine is working) that it doesn't do the 'tap up for +1 mph and tap down for -1 mph like all my other vehicles. Is it just mine or is that not a feature Subaru had in 2002?

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
Speaking of cruise, i notice (when mine is working) that it doesn't do the 'tap up for +1 mph and tap down for -1 mph like all my other vehicles. Is it just mine or is that not a feature Subaru had in 2002?
My 2001 seems to work that way...

·
Registered
672 Posts
When I had my Lincoln, the boys at one of the Lincoln forums had negotiated a standing deal with a Ford dealership. Actually I'm guessing one of the dealer employees was a member and probably offered to discount them. All you had to do was call them up with your part number, mention you were a member of the forum, and you got a nice discount off your part.

Are there any Subaru dealer's doing this for us? I looked in the forums but didn't see anything.

I need a cruise switch! lol.
Do you need the cruise MAIN switch on the dash, or the one on the steering wheel?

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
My '13 OB cruise doesn't work that way either. If I tap up, the set speed goes up 5 mph and if I tap down the set speed drops by 5. During my test drive the salesman said that's how it's supposed to work. Stupidest thing I ever saw. None of my past cars with cruise ( nor any rental cars) works this way.

Anyhow, after a few weeks with my new car I figured out that if I hold the lever for about two seconds, the speed only changes by 1 mph. If I continue to hold it, the set speed slowly changes up or down 1 mph at a time. I have no idea why it was implemented this way, but at least there's a way to change the set speed by one. Maybe yours works the same way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2002 VDC Outback sedan
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks budaru I'll try that.

Redgemini its the main switch on the dash.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
occasionally, subaruonlineparts (in the Vendor Forum) subarupartsforyou , subarugenuineparts , rockauto and other sites will offer discounts or free shipping.

·
Registered
3 2001 Outbacks, 2 AT, 1 MT. 1 2006 Outback AT, 2000 Outback AT, 2008 Outback Sport MT
93 Posts
I have a good working relationship with my local dealer's parts manager. I called him awhile ago and said up front: "I can get stuff on-line for less and because it's a long drive into town for me, it's just as convenient. That said, I would prefer to keep my money as local as practical". It has worked out well for both of us. His department makes some money that he would have otherwise lost to another dealer. I can usually get a part for the same price as on-line, get it quickly, and without shipping costs. As such, I try to only buy my Subaru parts from him unless it's something like a belt and it's a weekend.

JP

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
I have a good working relationship with my local dealer's parts manager. I called him awhile ago and said up front: "I can get stuff on-line for less and because it's a long drive into town for me, it's just as convenient. That said, I would prefer to keep my money as local as practical". It has worked out well for both of us. His department makes some money that he would have otherwise lost to another dealer. I can usually get a part for the same price as on-line, get it quickly, and without shipping costs. As such, I try to only buy my Subaru parts from him unless it's something like a belt and it's a weekend.

JP
this approach has worked for me in the past. Plus, I even got labor discounted 15% once!

I have no proof, but at 2 of 3 different dealerships, I've detected hints that, if they know or maybe suspect you are active on the internet Forums, you seem to get VIP service. I've never pushed the issue, but wore an old USMB t-shirt into a dealership once, another time, I posted about having my wrecked car moved from the collision center to the dealership to solve a problem, and the dealership's Web/media guy responded to the post!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
occasionally, subaruonlineparts (in the Vendor Forum) subarupartsforyou , subarugenuineparts , rockauto and other sites will offer discounts or free shipping.
I order parts (and get discounts) here. If you know the P/N insert it into the right hand side box. If not, contact them and they are very helpfull to help.

www.subaruonlineparts.com/catalogs.html

·
Registered
2002 VDC Outback sedan
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's great, thanks for the link.

Ill wait and see what redgemini wants to do with his switch.

Bt I'm sure but ill be doing lots of ordering in the future.

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,113 Posts

The cruise on my 02 doesn't do the speed tap thing either.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Weird... my '01 seems to work that way. Just a tap seems to go up or down about 1 MPH. I use it quite often, since I live in a rural area, and taking the highway is almost a daily thing.

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,061 Posts
tap for + - 1 works on my 2003.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts