Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone in the Gen5 section posted that he was able to get his EcoHitch installed by his selling dealer. Does anyone know if this would be unusual? I had assumed that a dealer would only install OEM accessories, although I believe that installing an EcoHitch is 90% the same as installing the OEM hitch (i.e., pull bumper fascia, bolt to existing bumper mounting points).

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,499 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they refused, but why do that, anyway? Any competent body shop could do that easily, every bit as well, probably more conveniently for you, and likely for less money.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ununsual. In my experience, dealers are stuck doing OEM stuff only. Contractual, liability, etc.

That said... at one point, I inquired. And my sales girl said some of the techs have worked after hours, in the dealershop, on their own accord to do third party accessory, hitch, suspension, etc installs. I just did the ecohitch myself.

It's entirely a YMMV situation.

As skipw noted, any body shop can.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't be surprised if they refused, but why do that, anyway? Any competent body shop could do that easily, every bit as well, probably more conveniently for you, and likely for less money.
Thanks. EcoHitch does have a "designated installer" in the area, but they overcharge, are some distance away, and want to have the car for 4 hours. I was trying to think of a general repair shop that I would trust to do this and thought of a couple of local body shops that I've done business with and might be willing to do this. They would certainly have the experience in removing bodywork to get at the bumper bar, which I would certainly not trust myself to do (too many clips, etc.). Plus I could take the car to either one and ride my bike back home on a local rail-trail.

·
Premium Member
'16 Outback 2.5i Limited - Eyesight
83 Posts
We did inquire at our local dealer; they would only install OEM parts..... so we did it ourselves. The job wasn't difficult; just tedious.
I found it easier to just take the rear wheels off to remove the mud guards. Install was not difficult, putting the bumper cover back on, however, was a genuine PITA.

Take your time and everything will be OK

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Someone in the Gen5 section posted that he was able to get his EcoHitch installed by his selling dealer.
I'm the guy (or one of them) who tried to have the dealer install an EcoHitch. No luck. We did it ourselves with minimal swearing in a few hours; the hardest part was getting the bumper cover back on.

Do it yourself and save the bucks for something else!

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
What specifically did you find challenging about re-installing the bumper? I'm getting ready to do the install of our hitch.

Thanks!
Todd
Todd-
Getting all the clips (on the rear quarters) was a MAJOR pain... other than that; not all that hard.
BTW - I just jacked it up and removed the rear wheels; it made it MUCH easier to remove the rear mud guards.
YRMV

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ EyeSight - Lapis Blue Pearl
69 Posts
Todd-
Getting all the clips (on the rear quarters) was a MAJOR pain... other than that; not all that hard.
BTW - I just jacked it up and removed the rear wheels; it made it MUCH easier to remove the rear mud guards.
YRMV
Thanks for the reply! I did my install this weekend. I chose to re-attach the Styrofoam piece to the bumper bar, so it was a snugger fit placing the bumper fascia back over it. Next to that, yes, removing/re-mounting the wheel-arch moldings and mudflaps was more work than expected. In hindsight, jacking it up and removing the wheels would have given me easier access.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OP here again. The install will be done by a local body shop that I've done business with before and whose workmanship I totally trust. Plus it's just a couple of miles from my house so I can drop it there and walk home along a local rail-trail. He was also cheaper than the nearest "certified installer" that is in a very inconvenient location.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts