Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I had my oil changed at a local Bay Area Subaru dealer and decided to have the tires rotated as well. When the service was complete, I decided to check if the tires were actually rotated and they were not. The reason I know is when I purchased the car there was a sticker on one of the wheels. Well that wheel was still at that position on the car. Also it was pretty clear the wheel locks were not touched.

I pointed this out to the SA and he went to check with the tech, who apparently admitted to it. The SA put on a show, and was stating how embarrassing that is and if he had any say the tech would be fired. They took the car back in, rotated everything as I watched, and I was on my way. He assured me his manager would contact me, that is not how they do business and I will definitely hear back. This happened yesterday and I haven't heard anything yet.

My question is, what would you all do in a similar situation? Should I contact Subaru corporate? Should I make contact with the dealer owner/service manager? Should I expect anything out of this(i.e. free service) or should I just be glad I realized it early on and go to a different dealer. Honestly this is Why I typically do all maintenance on my cars myself, it's the only way I know something was done right.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would contact the dealer to tell him why you're taking your future business elsewhere. Don't expect to get anything out of it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
which dealer was this, as I just moved up to the bay area and will need service in about 300 miles.

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
if you don't hear from the manager in a timely fashion - definitely post which dealership this was.

maybe consider contacting the Regional manager.

makes you wonder how many people paid for phantom work.

·
Registered
617 Posts
If they fire the tech, go back. If not, contact SOA, explain what happened, and ask them to recommend a dealer that doesn't lie to their customers and steal from them.

Sometimes it's a bad mechanic. If they keep that mechanic... then it's the dealership as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
which dealer was this, as I just moved up to the bay area and will need service in about 300 miles.
It was at Stevens Creek Subaru, I've been there one other time and thought the service was pretty good, though not the quickest. I'd really like to believe this to be a one-time situation, but it does make you wonder if it's a lazy tech or a bad dealer. From where I'm located Capitol Subaru and and Carlsen Subaru are a little further, though maybe worth a try.

I'll keep everyone updated on how/if this is resolved.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
if you want to continue using them, the question i would ask the owner, general manager, and /or service manager is '' why should i do business with you? your people lied and tried to cheat me! ''

if this does not get you free service nothing will.

if you do not want to do business with them, complain to every one all the way up the chain, all the way to SOA. you might ask SOA ''why should i own a subaru if i'm going to be treated this way? i was never treated like this when i owned a honda.'' or toyota or ford or chevy.

for all you know it was the boss who told the tech to not bother rotating the tires. he may have been trying to reduce the time spent on your car and increase his numbers. it may have been the tech's idea, but maybe not.

and finally, every time you take your car in there, tell the guy who writes your ticket about what happened. '' you know, one time (or the last time) when i brought my car in here, i paid for service i did not get and i felt cheated."

policies, written and unwritten, change as managers come and go. you just never know. but when ever i see a new face or manager when dropping off my car, a make sure to let them know that i have had problems in the past and i expect fair pricing and quality service.

and in most repair shops, especially chain stores, the service writer and the tech both make a commission on any ''extra'' service they sell to you while you are there. anything not on your original list.so they are always looking for problems and suggesting repairs. like at micky-d's, ''would you like fries with that.'' or at the movies, ''for 50 cents more you can get twice as much.''

·
Registered
297 Posts
It was at Stevens Creek Subaru, I've been there one other time and thought the service was pretty good, though not the quickest. I'd really like to believe this to be a one-time situation, but it does make you wonder if it's a lazy tech or a bad dealer. From where I'm located Capitol Subaru and and Carlsen Subaru are a little further, though maybe worth a try.

I'll keep everyone updated on how/if this is resolved.
I purchased my OB from Capitol Subaru. A few days after bringing her home I noticed a few minor cosmetic things on the car that I needed to address and called the service manager, but it was 5 minutes after hours so I called the next day. He was unavailable so they transferred me to his voicemail where I left him a detailed message including my cell phone number where he can reach me. This was 2 weeks ago, still no call...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased my OB from Capitol Subaru. A few days after bringing her home I noticed a few minor cosmetic things on the car that I needed to address and called the service manager, but it was 5 minutes after hours so I called the next day. He was unavailable so they transferred me to his voicemail where I left him a detailed message including my cell phone number where he can reach me. This was 2 weeks ago, still no call...

Good to know. Guess it's time to start doing my own maintenance on the OB. Usually I give the dealer a few visits to "build a relationship" with them in the hopes they help me if something goes out after warranty.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Good to know. Guess it's time to start doing my own maintenance on the OB. Usually I give the dealer a few visits to "build a relationship" with them in the hopes they help me if something goes out after warranty.
I'm gonna wait until my first free oil change and see how that goes. I'll address my issues then too. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Go figure, Stevens creek has a horrid reputation on the Impreza and legacy forums. I have been in the area 8 years and that has not changed.

Capitol Subaru is still fairly new, but have heard mixed from them. I go to Santa Cruz and they have been awesome to me, both Sales and service. And they tend to have the same rep on the other forums.

I would say call SOA and complain. If they finally get enough complaints, SOA will have to step in.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Personally, I think you are over reacting. Perhaps it was an unintentional oversight on the part of the mechanic, and you have not said anything that would lead us to believe it was anything else. Nobody is perfect and we all make mistakes occasionally.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Personally, I think you are over reacting. Perhaps it was an unintentional oversight on the part of the mechanic, and you have not said anything that would lead us to believe it was anything else. Nobody is perfect and we all make mistakes occasionally.
We do make mistakes but I don't think the OP overreacted at all. Imagine if the same mechanic had another unintentional oversight while replacing your wheels and forgot to tighten the lug nut and you are driving down the highway doing 70mph?

Something like this should not be oversight, especially when you have a work order in front of you.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Most dealerships are independently owned and SOA may have some influence but not a great deal. This means they run their business as they choose to run it. If the dealership doesn't provide adequate answers I would just go elsewhere. I can't determine if this was a deliberate mistake or fraud however I would just go elsewhere and not recommend these guys to anyone if that gives you satifaction.

There is a reason I do all my own work on all my vehicles except for what little is covered under warranty...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would be a little concerned as to whether the oil and any other services were actually performed. I would also like to know the Subaru dealer, as it could be one I would possibly consider for warranty work were it needed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry, but in this case the tech admitted not doing the service. This does not appear to be an oversight or a mistake. That is simply unacceptable.

Edit: I'm inclined to do things like mark my oil filter and stuff when I take my Subie in for service.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sorry, but in this case the tech admitted not doing the service. This does not appear to be an oversight or a mistake. That is simply unacceptable.

Edit: I'm inclined to do things like mark my oil filter and stuff when I take my Subie in for service.
I used to do this before I found the dealer's I have used. Carter Subaru in Seattle FTW in WA and Subaru of Santa Cruz FTW in CA.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Willt i have never really heard positive things about them. My car shopping experience there was also a bunch of smoke being blown up my back side. Redwood city subaru has a spotty sales team history but the service dept has done good work for me the very few times ive been there. And they seem to have a better reputation vs Stevens Creek.

By the way my moms dealer is close to loosing her as service customer they switched to the gimick mileage package high cost service offerings in the last few months. Fairfield Subaru.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just wonder if the mechanic knew for sure that he was supposed to rotate the tires. It may be that they asked him and he said no, not trying to hide anything. I had a Montero a long time ago with a blown engine at 59k. Took it to a dealer and it was obvious they didn't want to touch it until the warranty ran out. When a mechanic said he checked the vacuum in all the cylinders and they all passed it was an obvious lie but he would never admit to it. I had to contact the parent company who finally forced them to do the work. Point was, if the mechanic did it on purpose it sees he would have lied about it and it would have been your word against his. In that case you lose. That is what happened to me. Even when proven later that one cylinder was not even close to speck he made some ridiculous excuse as to why he was not at fault and the dealer stood behind him. Needless to say, the many new cars I bought after that were never from that brand. The point of this story is I would want to make sure that he did not rotate the tires on purpose. I would hate to make someone jobless in this society who didn't deserve to be fired. On the other hand, if he is dangerous then appropriate action need to be taken.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
24 Participants
willt
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing