Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 LTD
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I had my oil changed at a local Bay Area Subaru dealer and decided to have the tires rotated as well. When the service was complete, I decided to check if the tires were actually rotated and they were not. The reason I know is when I purchased the car there was a sticker on one of the wheels. Well that wheel was still at that position on the car. Also it was pretty clear the wheel locks were not touched.

I pointed this out to the SA and he went to check with the tech, who apparently admitted to it. The SA put on a show, and was stating how embarrassing that is and if he had any say the tech would be fired. They took the car back in, rotated everything as I watched, and I was on my way. He assured me his manager would contact me, that is not how they do business and I will definitely hear back. This happened yesterday and I haven't heard anything yet.

My question is, what would you all do in a similar situation? Should I contact Subaru corporate? Should I make contact with the dealer owner/service manager? Should I expect anything out of this(i.e. free service) or should I just be glad I realized it early on and go to a different dealer. Honestly this is Why I typically do all maintenance on my cars myself, it's the only way I know something was done right.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 LTD
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
which dealer was this, as I just moved up to the bay area and will need service in about 300 miles.
It was at Stevens Creek Subaru, I've been there one other time and thought the service was pretty good, though not the quickest. I'd really like to believe this to be a one-time situation, but it does make you wonder if it's a lazy tech or a bad dealer. From where I'm located Capitol Subaru and and Carlsen Subaru are a little further, though maybe worth a try.

I'll keep everyone updated on how/if this is resolved.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 LTD
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I purchased my OB from Capitol Subaru. A few days after bringing her home I noticed a few minor cosmetic things on the car that I needed to address and called the service manager, but it was 5 minutes after hours so I called the next day. He was unavailable so they transferred me to his voicemail where I left him a detailed message including my cell phone number where he can reach me. This was 2 weeks ago, still no call...

Good to know. Guess it's time to start doing my own maintenance on the OB. Usually I give the dealer a few visits to "build a relationship" with them in the hopes they help me if something goes out after warranty.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 LTD
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
THREE mistakes were made.

Service requested was not done.

Service not done was charged.

Call to customer was not made.

And is there ANY other car that needs tires rotated as religiously as a Subaru?

We make mistakes where i work, but we don't lie or dodge the issue and we go to extreme efforts to correct the problem. Rule-of-thumb in business is, it costs 8 times more to get a new customer than to keep an old one.

This basically hit the nail on the head. The tech did actually admit to not doing it, no mistake or accidentally forgetting about it. The SA happened to be pretty apologetic about it though and did seem understandably embarrassed. I did give them a chance to make good on it and so far they have chosen not to.

I don't really think it's an overreaction, because every future service I would have at this place, I would always wonder if it is really being done. Plus let's say as mentioned it was something more serious that caused a bigger issue down the road. I could mark the oil filter which is a great idea, but in the end we shouldn't have to, especially at a dealer.

Never thought of trying Subaru of Santa Cruz, thanks bajanut for the tip.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 LTD
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Stevens Creek Subaru may not be a good place to buy based on these comments.
Stevens Creek Subaru - Subaru - Dealership Ratings
I would have to agree with some of the negative purchase reviews. The sales team was very shady here, and had a take it or leave it attitude judging from my experience during a test drive. Ended up getting a great deal significantly lower than other local dealers via email from what appears to be the only decent person there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts