·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,879 Posts
THREE mistakes were made.

Service requested was not done.

Service not done was charged.

Call to customer was not made.

And is there ANY other car that needs tires rotated as religiously as a Subaru?

We make mistakes where i work, but we don't lie or dodge the issue and we go to extreme efforts to correct the problem. Rule-of-thumb in business is, it costs 8 times more to get a new customer than to keep an old one.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Onyx XT; 2014 Tribeca
399 Posts
1_lucky_texan is 100% right and from all the posts I have read on stevens creek subaru's service department, they don't subscribe to this. They think that the flock will just go there becasue of their locatoin (middle of santa clara valley, very convienent) or they just don't care much. They are a perficet example why some people don't come back to a brand because they believe that all dealerships are the same. If enough people call and complain, which most don't because it takes time, then they can't be corrected. If enough people call about bad experiances SOA can go as far as santion them and even stop selling cars/parts/renew tech certifications, etc...

I used to live in Kirkland Wa and for about a 15 years there was Kirkland Subaru which had the worst service I have ever seen and enough people finally called and SOA investigated them and took santions on them as they were the Last deliership to get new cars and could not order cars for them selves and could not order parts. The deliership went under and a new owner has come in and from what I have heard it is a lot better.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 LTD
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
THREE mistakes were made.

Service requested was not done.

Service not done was charged.

Call to customer was not made.

And is there ANY other car that needs tires rotated as religiously as a Subaru?

We make mistakes where i work, but we don't lie or dodge the issue and we go to extreme efforts to correct the problem. Rule-of-thumb in business is, it costs 8 times more to get a new customer than to keep an old one.

This basically hit the nail on the head. The tech did actually admit to not doing it, no mistake or accidentally forgetting about it. The SA happened to be pretty apologetic about it though and did seem understandably embarrassed. I did give them a chance to make good on it and so far they have chosen not to.

I don't really think it's an overreaction, because every future service I would have at this place, I would always wonder if it is really being done. Plus let's say as mentioned it was something more serious that caused a bigger issue down the road. I could mark the oil filter which is a great idea, but in the end we shouldn't have to, especially at a dealer.

Never thought of trying Subaru of Santa Cruz, thanks bajanut for the tip.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 CVT
128 Posts
I was not defending them, just wondering if it was certain that it wasn't a mistake. If the place has a bad rep then it's an easy problem.

·
Registered
2012 outback limited
237 Posts
Money $$$$ is the root cause probably. Squeezing in some other emergency case, tires really not due for a rotation? Lets add the "factory certified check list", do you really thing 80% of this stuff is looked at on a car likely less then two years old ? Look at any advertisement for service, "our check points of # number done"; 98 % of it is ignored most likely. But a great selling point. We check the freon in the a\c, chances are the guy just turns it on, might put in a thermometer which really is a random guess for performance because so many other factors are involved, not just a set temperature range. Humidity, out door temperature, shop temperature, dirty condensor, air filter condition, all effect any a/c. I am in the service field, and "I don't trust anyone"! For me to really call in for service on anything, just scares the **** out of me. Toyota serviced my new car, added graphite to oil, never mentioned about it, and stated it was their standard procedure ! Last time they saw me ! Back to the issue, it is the floor managers' job, to check on all service tickets done! Usually they are overrun with other unrelated jobs, so they cannot do the real job; like most of america right now ! Oh, free oil change, then add $30 disposal fees you must pay, nothing is free. Where should I send a bill to ? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 CVT
128 Posts
Wow, I am always leery of service depts but if you feel that way and work in one, well that is down right depressing. There are a lot of crooks out there, agreed, I have had enough experience with them, but I did not think they constituted the majority.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,879 Posts
Even if the tires did not need rotating, that's when you call the owner and let them know.

Oh, you also don't charge them for it.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2003 Baja,
32 Posts
We do make mistakes but I don't think the OP overreacted at all. Imagine if the same mechanic had another unintentional oversight while replacing your wheels and forgot to tighten the lug nut and you are driving down the highway doing 70mph?

Something like this should not be oversight, especially when you have a work order in front of you.
We can imagine all type of scenarios but none apply to what happened. Get over it, move on, or talk to the dealership again. If like most techs, working on 10 or more cars per day in a busy dealerships things are forgotten. As far as a call back, well pretty typical in all businesses today.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,284 Posts
send the sales mgr, business mgr, service mgr and the owner of dealership this thread link...explain to them why you are NOT spending another penny there!!!
How's that for spike! I assume you mention which subaru dealer it was (sorry too lazy to read thru' all the posts!)

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
I used to live in Kirkland Wa and for about a 15 years there was Kirkland Subaru which had the worst service I have ever seen and enough people finally called and SOA investigated them and took santions on them as they were the Last deliership to get new cars and could not order cars for them selves and could not order parts. The deliership went under and a new owner has come in and from what I have heard it is a lot better.
Actually Kirkland Subaru is gone 100%. Eastside Subaru took over the "area" but the old location is no more.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 LTD
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Stevens Creek Subaru may not be a good place to buy based on these comments.
Stevens Creek Subaru - Subaru - Dealership Ratings
I would have to agree with some of the negative purchase reviews. The sales team was very shady here, and had a take it or leave it attitude judging from my experience during a test drive. Ended up getting a great deal significantly lower than other local dealers via email from what appears to be the only decent person there.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts