Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I had to go back to the dealer this afternoon to finish up the paperwork from Saturday (they got too busy and were closing) and they offered me a bunch of "add-ons" which I wasn't really sure of. Hoping you can help me out here!

1) The dealer told me they charge $69.95 for a standard synthetic oil change which is every 7,500 miles. However, they told me the price for each 7,500 mile maintenance is $210 which includes all the factory recommendations. Is it me or is that a bunch of crap?? The only thing that is recommended every 7,500 is Oil, drain gasket, and tire rotation. Can someone explain the drain gasket (doesn't seem hard)? I can't imagine that plus a tire rotation is an additional $140.

They also told me the 15k is $500 and the 30k maintenance is over $900 to complete. I'm pretty handy and can do most of the fluid changes and maintenance myself, but I don't want to void the warranty if it's not in their computer.

They tried to sell me a Subaru package for $940 which would complete all maintenance up to 30k miles free of charge. Is this worth it?? They said the package is from Subaru and is good for any dealership.

2) The second package they tried to sell me was a 7-year 100k bumper-to-bumper extended warranty for $1,900 (normally over $2k but they said they would discount it). I've never bought one on a previous car nor wished I had, and these cars seem really reliable so i'm thinking NO on this one. Let me know if you feel otherwise.

3) Next on the list is 5-year Multi-Shield protection for $479 which covers free windshield replacement, unlimited free removal of all scuffs, dings, dents, and unlimited flat tire repair and alloy wheel repair (including curb scuffs). This one seemed some-what reasonable, but I just wasn't sure.

4) Finally on the list was Xzilon for $399. This supposedly puts a coating on the outside and inside of the Outback to protect against UV fading / cracking and protects the paint leaving it wax-free and shiny for 4 or 5 years.

Believe it or not, there were a few others which I already made up my mind on saying no, but these were the four I was looking for some insight on. I apologize for the long post and appreciate any advice - this is my first Subaru!

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,303 Posts
Congrats on you new Subie. You are gonna love it. :D

This is just a general routine list of "what to do".

AT EACH STOP FOR FUEL
Check
Engine oil
Add as required
Windshield washer solvent
Add as required
Clean
Windshield and wiper blades

ONCE A MONTH
Check
Tires
Check tire pressure and look for unusual wear or damage.
Fluid levels
Check fluid levels of coolant reservoir, power steering, and transmission. Add as required.

Inspect
Battery
Clean and tighten cables as required. Check electrolyte level and add water as needed.
Lights
Check all lights and all other electrical items for correct operation.
Wiper Blades
Inspect and replace as necessary.

SERVICE AS REQUIRED

Lubricate
Locks & hinges
Transaxle linkage
Parking brake cable

SEVERE SERVICE

Use severe service intervals if you primarily operate your vehicle under any of the following conditions:

Driving less than 8 Kilometers (5 miles) per trip or in freezing temperatures.
Driving less than 16 Kilometers (10 miles) per trip.
Driving in temperatures over 32°C (90°F).
Extensive idling or long periods of stop and go driving.
Driving roof-top carrier or driving in mountainous conditions.
Driving on muddy, dusty or de-iced roads.
NORMAL SERVICE

Use the normal service intervals if the vehicle is primarily operated under conditions other than those listed above.

Notes on "Severe Service"

Some vehicle manufacturers provide separate maintenance procedures for vehicles operated under Severe or Special circumstances. Other manufacturers provide recommendations for service at more frequent intervals for vehicles operated under severe conditions. For any vehicle operated under severe conditions, as defined by the vehicles manufacturer, always check the regular maintenance schedule for procedures that may not appear at the similar interval under severe service.

Example:
Manufacturer recommends tire rotation at 10,000 mile intervals under regular maintenance.
There is no tire rotation recommendation shown in the severe service schedule, which has 3,000 mile intervals.

At a minimum, recommend rotation at 9,000 and 18,000 mile intervals etc., or as close to the regular schedule as possible. Depending on vehicle usage and obvious tire wear, this recommendation should be increased as necessary.

Now, as far as their "maintenance package", do the math on the oil changes and ask if they top off the fluids for free between services. They can't hold the warranty over your head as long as you have documentation that the required service was performed on time/mileage it was due. Receipts are a plus.

On the extended warranty coverages; You can purchase an extended warranty from a variety of insurance providers. The dealer is selling the same coverage for the insurance company, only the salesman/woman gets commission on the sale. It can be a useful item. Some companies cover a wide range of items up to 150k miles in one policy and the repairs do not have to be performed at the dealership. Some you will have a deductible, some without. I have had customers that have paid as little as 1500 for a policy and it covered a lot. A LOT. Speakers, brakes, lights, door hardware, windows & motors/regulators, radio/stereo, HVAC, suspension including struts and more. Its not just the drivetrain components. Just shop around for this one.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the explanation, but I'm still curious of anyone thinks any of those packages are "worth it".

Especially number 1 - those projected costs seem incorrect to me.

What is "drain gasket" ?

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
I've always heard of that as the "crush washer".

I was thinking the OP was talking about Subaru's Added Security plans which I will remind everybody that you can haggle on those prices as well..

Jay

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's freaking amazing. So your telling me the dealer wants to charge $210 + tax and disposal charges for a $69.95 oil change, $0.05 washer and a tire rotation.

What a joke.

Where do you buy this washer? Why couldn't Subaru use a normal drain plug like on every other vehicle? I used the same plug on my Jeep the entire time I owned it.

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
That's freaking amazing. So your telling me the dealer wants to charge $210 + tax and disposal charges for a $69.95 oil change, $0.05 washer and a tire rotation.

What a joke.

Where do you buy this washer? Why couldn't Subaru use a normal drain plug like on every other vehicle? I used the same plug on my Jeep the entire time I owned it.
The actual drain plug is reused but the crush washer is replaced if you do the change by the books. I've reused them before but they are there so if you overtorque the drain plug, it hopefully doesn't mess up the oil pan... I think most people buy a bunch at a time so you have a bunch on hand when you do your own oil changes...

Jay

·
Registered
2013 Outback
18 Posts
When we bought our 13 Outback, we got the 7 year bumper to bumper, it did not add much to monthly payment! You are supposed to get a coupon for the first oil change to discount it, after that, any good mechanic can do the rest!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will doing your own oil changes and general maintenance void the warranty?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts