Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:17:Hey guys. I'll try to make this as short as possible: Our family has been in a crisis over our uncle in the hospital, and we could not afford a rent-a-car any longer after having one for 2 weeks. The car we had before was in an accident and is now fixed....but another member of the family is driving it.

Anyways we bought a used 2008 Subaru outback without getting it checked by a mechanic (stupid i know) from a Subaru dealer. It has 37000 miles. Carfax says the car had been in a fender bender, but it drove beautifully and still does.

The first problem was with the car swerving now and then, so we took it in and they replaced the struts for free that had gone bad..even though they marked that they had a slight leak to begin with, they only replaced them after we complained.

I was curious so I took the car to a mechanic to have it inspected and this was the report:

Front brakes 20%
Rear Brakes 40%

Suggested 4 wheel Alignment

Brake Pads $69.90

Rotors $113.12

Note: Paint spray found on L/R Spring / Suggest Alignment incase anything is bent, to prevent tire wear

Apparently they did a sloppy job putting the front bumper back on, so paint was on the L/R Springs and in the wheel well.

He said this can also make a car wheels wear down because of the heavy amount of paint in the wheel well!! :eek:

Also the front bumper that goes over the front right wheel was coming off slightly and he popped it back in for us free

Question is: did we buy a lemon, and under the lemon law (we still have around 2 weeks under lemon law warranty), can we return this car for a refund or at leas to get it fixed?

Thank you...Our family did not need this kind of crap to deal with at this time!:28:

Any help is appreciated.

It's NY State Lemon Law BTW:

60 day warranty

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Well, a 4-wheel alignment is a good idea in the case of a car repaired after collision, after changing struts for any reason, and to minimize tire wear. Sounds like you have all 3 reasons to do it.

As for the brakes, those are competitive prices unless you care to DIY. You can see that level of brake wear on many different cars by their 5th year of service, so there's nothing to be surprised about in that department.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with paint on the spring. They likely had the bumper covers removed when painting some metal, and the overspray settled on the spring. A little unprofessional but not the end of the world. At least they didn't get the paint meant for metal onto the plastic bumper covers.

As for telling you that too much paint on a spring could make a car swerve... any chance that was yesterday? April 1st?

The big question: have you had any control problems since the new struts went in? It doesn't sound like it in your post, but that point needs to be clarified.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, a 4-wheel alignment is a good idea in the case of a car repaired after collision, after changing struts for any reason, and to minimize tire wear. Sounds like you have all 3 reasons to do it.

As for the brakes, those are competitive prices unless you care to DIY. You can see that level of brake wear on many different cars by their 5th year of service, so there's nothing to be surprised about in that department.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with paint on the spring. They likely had the bumper covers removed when painting some metal, and the overspray settled on the spring. A little unprofessional but not the end of the world. At least they didn't get the paint meant for metal onto the plastic bumper covers.

As for telling you that too much paint on a spring could make a car swerve... any chance that was yesterday? April 1st?

The big question: have you had any control problems since the new struts went in? It doesn't sound like it in your post, but that point needs to be clarified.

Yes...It still swerves slightly from time to time..but not nearly as much as before.

Sorry I got it wrong. My mom said the mechanic said the paint is in the WHEEL WELL, and could be making the alignment bad and make the tire wear down quickly

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I can't think of any way that a little overspray is going to interact with the suspension in any meaningful way. I think someone was having fun suggesting it.

If you haven't had the car aligned since the strut work was done, you need to do that now. They probably should have done it for you, but if they didn't then they didn't. Take it somewhere else and have it done. You might as well get a second opinion on the brakes from the other shop. Once the car is trued up, and the tires have a few miles to settle in, you'll know if it is right. If it still isn't right at that point, try the lemon law thing. It can take a long time to get satisfaction from that process, so do all you can before committing to that.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
277 Posts
So by swerve, I assume you mean "drifts" side to side while driving straight? These cars have pretty bad wind-induced drifting, so I wouldn't worry too much about it assuming that the wheels are properly aligned.

Paint in the wheel wells is in no way going to affect the handling of the car, unless some chemical that was used during paint prep is eating rubber components, which I doubt.

BTW, I seriously doubt the brakes are that low with that few miles, unless the previous owner rode the brakes the entire time while driving. Ditto with the rotors. I don't trust mechanics in general. I took my car in for an alignment once and was told my by pads were "dangerously" low. They offered to replace them for $594.

I bought new pads ($99) and installed them that weekend. My old pads? Over 50% remaining.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if the first shop is overstating the severity of the brake condition. Lots of shops do it these days.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if the first shop is overstating the severity of the brake condition. Lots of shops do it these days.
Yeah. Getting it checked at another shop tomorrow...I've driven this car and it drives like ur on a cloud...but the bumper coming off slightly worried me mostly.

:(

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,072 Posts
To qualify for lemon law protections I believe you need to allow the selling dealer 3 attempts to repair the issue, provided they offer repairs as well (some may not). However, some of what they're telling you is BS as noted by other posters. There is no way in which paint in the wheel well is going to impact handling.

I suggest you find another vehicle of the same model and drive that to see how another example drives. It's entirely possible you're experiencing a normal driving behavior of the vehicle. Have you driven an SUV of any kind before? SUVs catch wind more than other vehicles.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
James, this is a used car so lemon laws don't apply.

You would have to prove that the dealer purposely mislead you to get anywhere. You would have to prove either breach of contract or that they did something illegal. Proving such things happens in less that 1% of cases so math is against you. Take it as a lesson and move on.

It sounds like the car is fine but needs a little maintenance like any used car would. Frankly things could be much worse and I think you got lucky.

Get the car checked out from a professional and report back. Something about the story so far doesn't add up. Either we are not getting the whole story or someone is very confused. Wandering can be caused by wind, bad tires, bad alignment, broken/bent suspension or any number of many things.

Non of this showed up in the test drive?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Yeah. Getting it checked at another shop tomorrow...I've driven this car and it drives like ur on a cloud...but the bumper coming off slightly worried me mostly.

:(
The bumper covers on these cars are giant pieces of heavy tupperware held on by little plastic buttons. The whole thing pops on and pops off.

They do a good job of staying on most of the time, but all it takes is catching it just right on a curb or a snowbank while backing out, and you can pop a fastener or two.

Since your car has collision history, it's possible that a fastener or two are missing or compromised, making it even easier to come off.

Even if it were completely missing there is no safety issue, it is strictly a decorative & aerodynamic part. All the structure is behind it.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
Lemon Law claims are tricky. Did you purchase from a Subaru dealership or from a wholesaler? Usually a dealership won't put a vehicle with a prior accident on their lot and will instead sell it to a wholesale lot. Warranty claims are going to be trickier through them since they don't have any factory backing. They essentially get it detailed then sell it.

As said before, paint in the wheel well won't hurt anything otherwise people driving through slushy snow and/or mud and dirt would be in rough shape. As for the brakes, it's not unheard of to have severely worn pads at 37,000 miles. The previous owner could have been very rough on them. Considering that the alignment was also off they may have hopped a curb or two or the repair shop just did body work.

Was the vehicle repaired before or after the dealership took ownership of it?

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
Most states have minimum brake pad % laws. Other than that, you bought a 5 year old used car. They already replaced the struts. Tell them about the brakes, and next time buy new, if you want perfection.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
As a former NY state inspector, in NY drum brakes have a minimum amount of material left to pass inspection, disk brakes (on cars) only need to not be metal on metal.

I really hope the car is drifting not swerving.

Although, if a spring is weak or a bushing is bad or even if the road is crowned, you can get pretty strong torque-steer in a subaru.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
As a former NY state inspector, in NY drum brakes have a minimum amount of material left to pass inspection, disk brakes (on cars) only need to not be metal on metal.

I really hope the car is drifting not swerving.

Although, if a spring is weak or a bushing is bad or even if the road is crowned, you can get pretty strong torque-steer in a subaru.
Yup......I looked it up. NY does not require a minimum of pad material.

OP, get your brakes fixed, and move on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts