Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my outback a week ago and I couldn't get the dealer any lower he just wouldn't budge an inch more. Now, a week and one day later they have 3 of the exact same model, same options and MSRP on their website for $600 less then I paid! :mad:

I don't think they are going to write me a check, but maybe I can get them to install puddle lights and illuminated sill plates for free instead?

There's another Subaru dealer same distance from me, maybe i'll threaten to take it to them for service instead if they don't cooperate :p

What do you guys think? Day late and buck short?

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
See if you can use the situation to negotiate a super-low price on the Subaru 7/100 extended warranty. And don't take no for an answer. I doubt they'll give you free accessories or be scared by loss of service work.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
I think you are totally wasting your time.
Not to offend but you agreed to a deal and now see it lower and want a better deal.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I bought my outback a week ago and I couldn't get the dealer any lower he just wouldn't budge an inch more. Now, a week and one day later they have 3 of the exact same model, same options and MSRP on their website for $600 less then I paid! :mad:

I don't think they are going to write me a check, but maybe I can get them to install puddle lights and illuminated sill plates for free instead?

There's another Subaru dealer same distance from me, maybe i'll threaten to take it to them for service instead if they don't cooperate :p

You could try laying on the guilt and see if that gets you anywhere. Alternatively, tell them you will let SOA know of your experience and the whole WWW as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I bought a loaf of bread at the store last week. This week it's on sale.

What a bunch of liars and thieves. I'm going to drive across town to buy my groceries from now on. That''ll show em.

I'm bound and determined to make sure they never make a profit from dealing with me, so they''re really going to regret losing my business.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a loaf of bread at the store last week. This week it's on sale.

What a bunch of liars and thieves. I'm going to drive across town to buy my groceries from now on. That''ll show em.

I'm bound and determined to make sure they never make a profit from dealing with me, so they''re really going to regret losing my business.
First off, a $.99 loaf of bread is way different then a $30k car. We bought a new refrigerator last year and it went on sale for $400 off a little after a month of buying it and the store made it right when we went back there with our purchase receipt.

Second off, it's not like I'm going to burn the building down, I'm not mad, more curious if anyone has come across this situation before. I could understand if it was a month or more, but I just bought the car last Saturday and feel a little taken advantage of that they were so addament about the price and so soon it drops (but I understand that's life).

I don't think a phone call would hurt anything - I'll let you know how it goes. Again what's the worst that could happen? They say no and I move on - no big deal. But if I get lucky they make it right and I walk away happy.

And for the record I never called anyone a liar or thief. I get that it's business, sometimes you win and other times you loose. I'm just trying to play the game like they are. You never know until you try. I got 15% off a brand new High Efficiency washer and dryer just by asking the associate at best buy two months ago.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Coleman Subaru.

I just found out something interesting though. If you go to their website colemansubaru.com with a normal computer the prices are the MSRP prices. If you go to iphone.colemansubaru.com (mobile version) it has the discounted prices.

I've been doing all the web searching on my iPhone. Interesting.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts

Just bite the bullet - there is nothing that you can do. These things happen every day all over the country. A deal is a deal!

·
Registered
814 Posts
In my opinion Op you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. As someone who personally sold cars, so many factors involved with why you paid $XXX a week ago but now the car is selling for less at $XXX today. Things like cars that are now over 90 days old on the lot, some sort of different promotion going on?? Competitor lowered their prices?? Different manager working this week?? Bad weather hence poor sales week earlier, need to now move a ton of cars to make up the difference etc..

How about you open a business, sell a few hundred customers your product at their demanding invoice or below price. Then the following week put everything on SALE for less than what you sold all of that product for. Then "Kindly" out of the goodness of your heart issue a "refund" check back to all those customers that missed out on your "FIRE SALE"

This dealer will probably tell you to pound sand and rightfully so.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
Meh, we all know how that goes. But I’m not surprised, buying a car between Thanksgiving and 12-16-2012.
And by the way, appliances typically have extended/30-day price match guarantees (in writing).

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
If for some reason - as mentioned by pool runner above - the price of your OB were to increase by $600 the week after you purchased yours would you go back to the dealer and offer to write them a check? Of course not. You would have considered it a shrewd move on your part to buy before the increase.

Maybe you could have gotten some goodwill if you asked them specifically if there was going to be a price reduction in the near future and if they said "yes" then you would have waited and if they said "no" then you might have some leverage but I wouldn't be surprised if they would deny unless in writing.

·
Registered
2012 Ouback 2.5 CVT
417 Posts
I understand where the OP is coming from, absolutely nothing wrong with trying to get what you can while you may have time.

As mentioned here maybe get them to break a nice deal on the extended warranty. Or a discount on your choice of an accessory item but that's about all you can do along those lines I'm afraid.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I completely agree, there's no harm in trying. Sometimes, there's no harm in being blatently, over-the-top pushy :)

I'm not one who cares for the process of haggling but sometimes, if I judge the other party to be of good humor and of reasonable mindset, I'll try, just for fun.

Case in point: I bought our current OB used, at a local dealer. Turns out they made a significant error in the price on the ad and had to honor it. As we walked to the car, I said to the salesman "you know, what would really complete this screaming deal is if you would take the roof rails, floor mats and cargo mat from the other OB over there and put them in mine". He just looked at me slack-jawed for a moment then laughed and said "why not?".

He did, and I drove away with a big grin. However, he has secured my business and when we are ready to purchase the next Subaru to replace the OB, we will go right to him.

·
Registered
18,723 Posts
Mike:

In line with what others have said, if your purchase relationship with the dealer was good, there's no harm in asking.

I wouldn't threaten; just express disappointment, and ask if there's anything they can do to dispel the feeling. If they offer something, such as (typically) a free oil change or a set of floor mats etc, then there's probably room for negotiation. The dealer will not likely refund the $600 in cash or provide goods or services for the full value, but if you can reduce the difference, I think you'd be doing good.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not making a big deal about anything, I just didn't see the hurt in asking and thought I'd see if anyone else had similar experiences.

I know sometimes other posters can often get angry when it comes to this type of thing, but I'm totally calm and just thought I'd take a chance.

Anyway, I called the dealer up and he actually was pretty cocky towards me. I wasn't rude or ignorant, I used a friendly voice and even laughed a little.

He explained to me the sale price online doesn't include destination charges (understandable) and if I were to include that, I would actually owe THEM over a hundred dollars. He then proceeded to ask me how I would like to pay them - cash or credit. I laughed it off and thanked him for explaining it, but still continued with a few more comments and finished by saying I owe him lunch for him actually saving me money. I just again laughed it off and hung up.

I found it to be unprofessional but it's whatever, I don't take things like that personally and honestly didn't see the hurt in asking.

Also, per my original post - I never expected a cash / check refund - I was hoping to just reduce the difference with a service package or maybe a lower-cost option add on like puddle lights.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I found it to be unprofessional but it's whatever, I don't take things like that personally and honestly didn't see the hurt in asking.
That's not bad, actually, and I personally don't see it as unprofessional. He has a sense of humor.

It's like a role reversal to my previous post, so I would have to take it in stride - he's the one asking for the roof rails, floor mats and cargo mat.

At least now this won't be eating at you, so that's a good thing.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
You could try laying on the guilt and see if that gets you anywhere. Alternatively, tell them you will let SOA know of your experience and the whole WWW as well.
Libel and slander lawsuits are on the rise - companies are not shy anymore about going after people who slander and libel them on the web. Which is what your suggesting above.

Most dealers will agree to discounts on various things the owner might want to make the earlier buyer happy that they didn't get a fair price etc.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's not bad, actually, and I personally don't see it as unprofessional. He has a sense of humor.

It's like a role reversal to my previous post, so I would have to take it in stride - he's the one asking for the roof rails, floor mats and cargo mat.

At least now this won't be eating at you, so that's a good thing.

Idk - one or two comments I could see a sense of humor, three or four comments is a little much IMO. Oh well it is what it is, and yes it's not eating at me anymore.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts