Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Replace all parts in timing belt area

Votes: 13 86.7%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Subaru dealer service dept says to change the timing belt and maybe the tensioner; replacing the rest in that area is not needed. Many have the opinion that changing everything in the area when its open is the way to go. What are some other opinions and experiences.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Subaru mechanic who did the service on mine, changed all the idlers, tensioner, and timing belt, cam & crank seals. It is usually worn out bearings in idlers or a weak tensioner that will snap a belt first. Water pump doesn't have to be changed since they are very durable.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
The risk in not changing everything is that the idler or tensioner or water pump may fail halfway through the next belt.

Will you still own the car in 50k miles?
Are you sensitive to the sounds the car makes? Usually you can hear the bearings go and that's your warning. Not always, though.
Does your mechanic handle enough Subarus that he can properly evaluate the tensioner? I know you said dealer service dept- is this a specific person or just whoever drew the ticket?

Lots of people have gotten away without changing the other parts until the 2nd belt change. I can't imagine many cars surviving into their 3rd belt without the extras being replaced.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Change it all. A tensioner or WP failure will destroy the engine the same way as a snapped belt.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I'll just say timing is something you DON'T want to gamble on with an interference engine.

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
The parts guy at my dealer told me that the cogged idler down by the water pump is under the most tension and the most common failure. If they skip that one, you might as well not do the job at all. Cheap insurance to do it all at once.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5i manual. 103,000 miles. My very first!
29 Posts
I just had my timing belt replaced by the dealer and the water pump too. The cost of the water pump was about $150. To me, that's cheap insurance and peace of mind knowing that I won't have to touch (or worry about) the water pump for many miles to come. I would just do it.

Here's the break down......
Belt Tensioner $157.45
Timing Belt $86.35
Oil Seal $13.62
Water Pump $146.95
Water Pump Gasket $7.69
Thermostat and Gasket $39.53
Oilseal for Camshaft [email protected]$14.67
Larbor $363.75

And this was all done by a Subaru dealership.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
As much of a PIA as it is to get to the stuff, if you were doing it yourself, you'd definitely do it all at once. Why not give the mechanic the same thrill?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,322 Posts
The Dealer's advisor is mistaken. If anything, the tensioner could go longer, but risking the bearing life of the idlers is risky business.

Its always best to replace all the parts, including the seals. That way, you don't have to go back in or pay someone to do it twice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts