Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium w/ power moonroof, dimming mirrors and power hatch. All weather package
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 2017 Premium in june last year.

Today I got an email from the dealer. They really want me to trade in my almost brand new 2017 to trade "up" to a 2018 because they want used 2017's. Really? They say I can be almost the same monthly payment. As it is I'd pay cash if not zero%.

Anyway, I said no. I had just replaced the stock speakers with some quality aftermarket ones, JL and Focal, and I've read here the head unit on the 2018 has no idea how to properly play songs/albums on a USB stick in the correct order.

I have 7500 miles in the 2017.

What is their real motive here?

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
903 Posts
hey really want me to trade in my almost brand new 2017 to trade "up" to a 2018 because they want used 2017's. Really? They say I can be almost the same monthly payment.
My family used to own dealerships and I have a lot of experience in the industry. I can't think of any reason they would specifically be looking for used '17 models unless they can get one for the right price. It's going to be especially hard to sell a lightly used '17 for top dollar considering the huge discounts on '18 models and the 0% financing.

That doesn't mean they can't get you into one for "almost the same payment". Almost being the key word...that could be $5 or $50 depending upon who you're asking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same here. I told them I want even trade for what I already paid in with my current 0% interest. They said no. I said no more soliciting mail or emails or calls. Thank you and bye bye.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium w/ power moonroof, dimming mirrors and power hatch. All weather package
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Figured. If they were doing smart marketing they would see that I purchased a 2000 Outback from them and kept it for 17 years. I hope that this one lasts 17 years. I have no interest in a revolving, perpetual payments plan.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tricks to get you in the door, nothing more. Not a big deal moving from 17' to 18' anyway. Now 2020 maybe if the turbo is available...

·
Registered
2017 BBP Outback Touring 3.6R, 2003 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD
35 Posts
My dealer offered me an 18 Outback Touring 3.6 for my 17 Touring 3.6 at $60 less a month.

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts
Looking to go all out on my trade, looking at NADA vs NADA.
I have a 91 Legacy turbo sedan to trade in, looking for a 03-06 Baja.
NADA is almost the same miles vs miles. I should get into a Baja for only a few hundred dollars since they go by NADA.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,139 Posts
What is their real motive here?
Maximize profit. Adam Smith had it right.

And I'll mention here, because I haven't seen this pointed out yet - when they say it will be the same payment - and perhaps it will be, who knows - you will still have the payment schedule extended by at least 8 months. That's a loss to you.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Looking to go all out on my trade, looking at NADA vs NADA.
I have a 91 Legacy turbo sedan to trade in, looking for a 03-06 Baja.
NADA is almost the same miles vs miles. I should get into a Baja for only a few hundred dollars since they go by NADA.
Lol your 91 is worth less to a dealer than the transport charge to the Auction lot. Just sayn

·
Registered
2013 O.B. and 2018 O.B.
100 Posts
Some people just look at the monthly payment but tend to avoid the total overall cost. That's a pure sales tactic and individual choice.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
549 Posts
Same goes with home refinancing, you are left with 25 yrs mortgage and then lender offers you reduced payments with another 30 yrs loan...

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring WG/JB
148 Posts
I still get offers to trade in my 2015 Forester for the current MY, with claims to lower my monthly payment. That's on a car that's been paid off over a year ago, financed by Subaru Finance.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,112 Posts
A call or email costs the dealers nothing, as their guys have plenty of idle time. Bring in a few thousand, it's more than paid for.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited with Nav, Premium Audio and Eyesight
81 Posts
Lexus used to do that to us regularly. They will tell you it's worth xxx.xx and they are in high demand to get you on the lot. When they get you there, its not worth as much as you expected and they push you to spend more. They will try to make you think you are getting a great deal and all you are doing is spending more money or extending your payments longer. Don't fall for it.

David

·
Registered
2017 OB Limited 3.6
114 Posts
My dealer offered me an 18 Outback Touring 3.6 for my 17 Touring 3.6 at $60 less a month.
Require a down payment? Financing for how many more months than your current note, if applicable? There's a little more to consider than just the monthly payment.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,072 Posts
Yup.. Still getting these from my dealer, for my 2011. I'm there semi-weekly (depending on the weather) for car washes anyway, always looking at what's in the showroom and nobody ever approaches me to ask about trying to get me into one of the vehicles - including chatting a bit with the salesman that sold me my OB.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,139 Posts
Yup.. Still getting these from my dealer, for my 2011.
Here's how I dealt with this: When I bought my current OB, mostly through only one test drive and then through a series of email exchanges with the sales rep, I made this simple request at closing: All of this contact information - email, phone, snail mail - is for necessary communication on mandated recalls and service notifications only, nothing else; please don't spam me. And to their credit, they honored my request. I sometimes have initiated contact myself with them through email, and even then they seem to remember not to regress and start it up again.

Now Toyota, on the other hand - the dealer that we bought my wife's Prius from was warned three times after disregarding this request, each time with me talking to someone at a higher level. The last time was a very senior person at the dealer; he actually admitted they had my request recorded, but admitted that they had put it on a database anyway, and blamed Toyota corporate for the transgression. I told him that he just talked himself out of any future business, ever. Three strikes rule.

While that probably does register with them at some level, I think they just consider this a cost of doing business. Apparently, it does pay, otherwise, they wouldn't be doing it.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring WG/JB
148 Posts
Lexus used to do that to us regularly. They will tell you it's worth xxx.xx and they are in high demand to get you on the lot. When they get you there, its not worth as much as you expected and they push you to spend more. They will try to make you think you are getting a great deal and all you are doing is spending more money or extending your payments longer. Don't fall for it.

David

My wife and I each had a 2011 WRX STi. Subaru kept sending up letters that our STI was worth 28,000 in trade. We didn't need two STIs. I had started doing a lot of cycling and needed something better for hauling bikes, so we thought a Forester would be a good fit.

We took one of the STIs to the dealer and told them to put their money where their mouth is. We ended up getting a fully loaded 2015 Forester Touring and they gave us $27K in trade on the STI. After I got them to include the trailer hitch installed we came away owing $4K on the new Forester. So they claimed it was worth $28K in the letter and actually gave us $27K. Not too bad if you ask me.

Last month we finally traded our other STI. After doing brakes front and rear we decided we didn't want to start facing the expense of maintaining what is essentially a race car with high end components, and we don't need something that high performance. I traded it at the end of January for our new Outback.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts