Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium M6, 19mm,
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a dealer get upset because you installed a fumoto oil drain valve? Any warranty issues?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
No. If you're installing a valve it's because you're doing your own oil changes. If the engine locked up next week you'd install the original drain plug to make sure they don't get suspicious.

The only time this would be an issue is if there was engine oil starvation (and you didn't do the step in the last paragraph) and 36,000 miles oil starvation issues are extremely rare, so the chance of ever having an issue is really, really tiny. But if it did happen, that would be a risk.

A dealer is never going to say "oh you have an oil valve, we're not going to warranty your failed rear blinker lights". it doesn't make any sense on multiple levels.

If the engine runs low on oil that's not going to look good and you'd run the risk of having issues....but then back to paragraph #1.

A google search shows almost non-existent cases of oil starved engines in warranty periods or warranty voiding by dealers (not counting the turbo crowd LOL).

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
JimDod:
The reason they may get upset is purely economical. They cannot charge for the replacement of the oil drain plug's crush washer (although many of them do in spite of the fact that none was replaced). Plus they can see, that you may be changing your oil yourself - thus loss of revenue. No warranty issue!

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Another reason they could get upset is time. Oil drains slower though a valve and turn-over on the hoist could delay the next oil change.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
I have had my OB into Irvine Subaru half a dozen times for warranty issues, recalls, TSBs, and glass replaced after a smash and grab.

I have had the quick change valve in since change #1 at ~3k. Nary a word from the dealer, but they don't do my fluids. I can't imagine anyone going with a quick valve to make the dealer tech's job a bit easier and possibly a slower drain.

If it's an issue, take your car somewhere else.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,647 Posts
If I remember correctly, fumoto advertises it's valve as being okay'd under subaru warranty...listed as genuine parts by subaru.

FUMOTO ENGINEERING

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium M6, 19mm,
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I remember correctly, fumoto advertises it's valve as being okay'd under subaru warranty...listed as genuine parts by subaru.

FUMOTO ENGINEERING
Well that is nice,

My dealer gave me two years of oil changes (I read that as three oil changes). I'm going to change the oil at 1000 miles just because that is what I do. I'll put the Fumoto on at that time and let the dealer to the other changes. This keeps other fingers off of my drain plug.

Actually if I could talk the dealer into giving me the oil and filter I would be happier, fat chance of that.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,647 Posts
Well that is nice,

My dealer gave me two years of oil changes (I read that as three oil changes). I'm going to change the oil at 1000 miles just because that is what I do. I'll put the Fumoto on at that time and let the dealer to the other changes. This keeps other fingers off of my drain plug.

Actually if I could talk the dealer into giving me the oil and filter I would be happier, fat chance of that.
...just buy a lot of filters from subaruonlineparts.com, that is what I do.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Fumoto valve on this car. The reason is that it's too exposed on the underside of the pan. Given the miserable roads in my area, it's not too hard to imagine the valve being neatly decapitated by some road debris. Not really sure that having it saves me time or mess.

I'm using statoseals instead of crush washers. Not only do they seal better, they last through several oil changes (I've had the same one on there through three changes).

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
What is a statoseal?
Incidentally, another argument in favor of Fumoto is thread damage from removal and constant retorquing. Too much twist by an 18 yr old quick lube kid and you can damage the threads.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
Incidentally, another argument in favor of Fumoto is thread damage from removal and constant retorquing. QUOTE]

Yup. I have had to do repairs of one sort or another on 2 previous vehicles because the threads in the pan wore out. And I do all my own oil changes........I just keep cars for a really long time. (Both repairs became necessary at over 200k.)

If you don't use a drain valve, it is worth it to keep a second drain plug, and rotate them. The threads on the plug distort, and make the threads in the pan deteriorate even faster.

On mine, anyway, the plug was way over torqued, straight from the factory. Must have had at least 80 foot pounds on it.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
On mine, anyway, the plug was way over torqued, straight from the factory. Must have had at least 80 foot pounds on it.
OEM overtorquing on any fastener seems to be a common issue with Japanese branded vehicles.
Could be some conspiracy to frustrate the DIY'ers and surrender them to the dealer.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
......On mine, anyway, the plug was way over torqued, straight from the factory. Must have had at least 80 foot pounds on it.
OEM overtorquing on any fastener seems to be a common issue with Japanese branded vehicles.
Could be some conspiracy to frustrate the DIY'ers and surrender them to the dealer.
I think having the plug painted over at the factory contributes to the feeling of tightness.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
I felt the same regarding road debris and added the primitive racing skid plate. Wife's forester has it too, and noticed it sits higher than the frame does so its unlikely to be struck by something b

I'm not a fan of the Fumoto valve on this car. The reason is that it's too exposed on the underside of the pan. Given the miserable roads in my area, it's not too hard to imagine the valve being neatly decapitated by some road debris. Not really sure that having it saves me time or mess.

I'm using statoseals instead of crush washers. Not only do they seal better, they last through several oil changes (I've had the same one on there through three changes).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts