Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback Limited AWD 2.5i
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me know if this sounds right. I took my 2012 Outback to the dealer to fix our keys getting stuck in the key cylinder and was quoted $600 for parts and labor to replace the cylinder and reprogram the keys that come with it. They’ve had my car for several days and have told me that they can’t get reprogram the computer to accept the key. I was told they contacted Subaru and still can’t get it reprogramed. Now they tell me that they need to use a locksmith to re-key the cylinder to accept my original keys. This will cost $250.

Does this sound right? Shouldn’t a dealership be able to reprogram the new keys without an issue? Maybe it's a new cylinder/keyset is faulty?

I’m okay with having 2 sets of keys, one to start the car and one to open the driver’s door (which is rare).

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
$250 seems better then $600.
@lockmedic maybe able to recall dealers needing to try cheaper plan B on keys and locks.

and remember this: all dealers are not created equal. some in service just plain suck, and need to be avoided.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
901 Posts
For future reference, get yourself a tube of graphite powder (the very best lubricant for keys and locks). Sprinkle a small amount on both sides of your key a couple of times per year, insert it into and remove it from the ignition switch several times in a row, then be sure to wipe your key off with a clean paper towel before you stick it in your pocket. If you do this, your key and switch are unlikely to give you any additional trouble for the rest of your ownership.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
449 Posts
Demand the car be returned to you, don't pay dime, and find a new dealer and/or locksmith! I'm guessing the dealer you are going to has only been selling Subaru's for a few weeks.

At the very least get in touch with SOA and file a complaint! A dealer that cannot do a relatively simple job? Pull his franchise!

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,287 Posts
I have been told by some Subaru dealerships that if one looses ALL the keys, the entire DASHBOARD must be shipped back to Subaru for reprogramming.

However, in your case, I believe someone is misleading you. The 'cylinder' has nothing to do with the PROGRAMMING of the keys to the dashboard.... unless getting a new 'cylinder' means you also need all new keys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts