Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like this is more than reasonable. I don't mind a premium because they know the cars best but how is it 4x the price of UHaul's quote? Is this typical?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
17,727 Posts
What year is your car? If it's a 2020 or newer the consensus is that the OEM genuine Subaru hitch is the best if you're going to do serious or frequent towing. If it's older than a 2020 then aftermarket hitches are more popular because the OE hitch was only 1-1/4" but since 2020 the OE hitch is a full 2"

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What year is your car? If it's a 2020 or newer the consensus is that the OEM genuine Subaru hitch is the best if you're going to do serious or frequent towing. If it's older than a 2020 then aftermarket hitches are more popular because the OE hitch was only 1-1/4" but since 2020 the OE hitch is a full 2"
It's a 2019. And I actually don't plan to do any towing at all. I really just want a hitch mounted bike rack...

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
17,727 Posts
Then you might be better off with a non-OEM hitch for a wider range of bike rack options that fit a 2" receiver. I browsed U-Haul's website and they offer several different hitches with 2" receivers from different manufacturers.

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Registered
'22 Outback Wilderness Magnetite Grey
67 Posts
Just for comparison, I purchased a subaru hitch from an online supplier for about $450, and dealership charged $390 (3 hour) for the install. Wiring is part of the standard installation.
I'd counter offer them the standard rate.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
1,943 Posts
I paid just at $600 for a dealer-installed, OEM hitch. This was about a year ago and it was obviously a bit more expensive than having ordered the car with it pre-installed ($505).

·
Registered
78 Posts
I feel like this is more than reasonable. I don't mind a premium because they know the cars best but how is it 4x the price of UHaul's quote? Is this typical?
take a look at the products and installation videos on etrailer. wiring on a gen5 is very simple, because subaru leaves a connector hidden in the cargo area for you to just plug in to. the receivers that bolt on under the bumper beam require no frame drilling, and I wouldn't say the job is harder than assembling ikea furniture.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
1,679 Posts
You are being priced out of it. They don't want that type of job so they present a very discouraging price.

Reactions: StanTheMan and Dubz

·
Registered
1997 Outback, 2016 Forester, 2022 Outback
157 Posts
$1,000 !?! It's no wonder people don't want to take their cars to the dealership. They probably won't even give you a parting kiss when they're done.
The hitch should be a bolt-on, and on a newer car, rust shouldn't be a problem. And as mentioned above, most of the wiring should be there already, either in the spare tire well, or behind the plastic trim somewhere. You'll need the OEM "pigtail" to get it to your trailer if you ever do want to use it that way; don't worry about it if not. Real easy to install if you change your mind; just plug it in.
Buy a hitch on-line and DIY. Manufacturer should supply instructions, but it just isn't "Rocket Science"; undo the bolts, fit the hitch, replace the bolts, make 'em tight. Or if you're not comfortable with 4, maybe 6 large bolts, take it to U-Haul or Midas for installation. I can't see it being more than an hours job; it certainly wasn't on the last one I did; an OEM hitch on a 2004 Forester. (It was a 1 1/4 inch receiver, and didn't come with a ball mount.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts