Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 outback-2006 Impreza
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not here to cause trouble or name names, but would like to know if anyone had this happen.

took my 2006 in for a Takata airbag recall, my normal shop recommended the dealer because this is something only a dealer can do. Everything went well , no other work done or suggested by dealer. A week later I get an offer in the mail to " extend the warranty on my 2006 impreza" , which has 145K miles and was rebuilt from salvage. No big deal, it goes into recycling bin.

Then I start getting a dozen marketing calls at my work phone a day, some are trying to sell me a vehicle warranty, others all kinds of other garbage. It's the only phone number I provided to the service dept. I've had this number for 15 years and never received a marketing call before , now they are constant. I did not give that number to any other entity besides doctors , dentists, and the private shop which normally services my vehicle. All of these people I've used for a decade or more.

I know this is impossible to prove, but there doesn't appear to be any other explanation for this "coincidence". Anyone else run into something similar? Any way to find out or prove they started this?

thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
30 Minutes after I got off the phone after putting in my factory order with a dealer, I get a call from a number I don't know, so I didn't pick up. I googled the number, and there were various reports that the number was associated with a company that tries to buy used cars. I definitely thought there was something fishy.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,380 Posts
State DMV records are usually the choice of snail mail spammers, since it's already in a database and usually pretty accurate. But you would appear to have a pretty compelling case against the dealer here, since they contacted you by telephone.

No way to prove it unless you miss-spelled your name or put some other unique marker on the form submitted for the service. I've been know to do that to trap someone I suspect might try this.

A dozen calls a day is pretty aggressive. Do you tell them not to call again?

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
not here to cause trouble or name names, but would like to know if anyone had this happen.

took my 2006 in for a Takata airbag recall, my normal shop recommended the dealer because this is something only a dealer can do. Everything went well , no other work done or suggested by dealer. A week later I get an offer in the mail to " extend the warranty on my 2006 impreza" , which has 145K miles and was rebuilt from salvage. No big deal, it goes into recycling bin.

Then I start getting a dozen marketing calls at my work phone a day, some are trying to sell me a vehicle warranty, others all kinds of other garbage. It's the only phone number I provided to the service dept. I've had this number for 15 years and never received a marketing call before , now they are constant. I did not give that number to any other entity besides doctors , dentists, and the private shop which normally services my vehicle. All of these people I've used for a decade or more.

I know this is impossible to prove, but there doesn't appear to be any other explanation for this "coincidence". Anyone else run into something similar? Any way to find out or prove they started this?

thanks
Could have been Subaru and not your dealer. Your recall repair would have been recorded with them.

Your contact info has been sold thousands of times. It's big business. Back in the 1970's I worked in IT for a mailing list brokerage. Millions of names bought and sold everyday.

Reactions: r3ds4nd

·
Registered
2012 outback-2006 Impreza
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
30 Minutes after I got off the phone after putting in my factory order with a dealer, I get a call from a number I don't know, so I didn't pick up. I googled the number, and there were various reports that the number was associated with a company that tries to buy used cars. I definitely thought there was something fishy.
well at least I'm not alone. I don't really have doubt anymore, it was the dealer. Hard to imagine Subaru of America doing it, but anythings possible. I had previous "recall repairs" done many years ago at a different dealer and this did not happen.
FWIW, that dealership has some reviews here already and none of them are good. People in the service area looked pretty miserable, and that says a lot. For anyone here that has to use a dealer in the Colorado front range, I did not have any issues with Boulder Subaru and thought they were ok. I guess I should have gone there again instead, went to this other place on recommend from a private shop.

A dozen calls a day is pretty aggressive. Do you tell them not to call again?
99% are robo-calls except for one person who cursed at me in a very heavy Asian accent. They've gotten it to where you almost can't tell it's not a real person, but it's a computer talking. I went and registered my number with the Federal Do not call list and that helped, then filed a few complaints, that helped more. It was really bad for a few weeks there., now it's down to once a day and usually when I'm not here.

I guess my advice is give them an e-mail instead of a phone number, or tell them you'll call back in a few hours when the work is supposed to be done, or maybe text, but I'm not a texter. It's a shame really, everything has gotten so predatory and ugly out there, some days I don't even recognize the society I'm living in.:|

1 - 5 of 5 Posts