Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
398 Posts
I am looking to purchase a 2010 OB and am afraid of getting a shaker (among other things). So my question is: What does SOA do with buybacks? Do they go back to Subaru dealerships to be re-sold, or to auctions to be purchased by and re-sold from, non Subaru dealers?

·
Registered
'11 OB Premium 2.5 CVT Sky Blue
67 Posts
Had a buyback

Becker Subaru in Allentown PA. I strongly suggest purchasing there to anyone in eastern PA-I had a shaker with binding steering, appeared after about 1k miles. On the 3rd visit the service manager said "we'll fix this car, but we'll also fix you, the customer." Enough said, I got in the queue for a buyback. It was in for service 7 times, finally fixed and felt perfect, mgr. said if I wanted to keep it they would give me a free extended warranty. I felt since many factory torque settings were disturbed among other things, it was a no-brainer to get a new one, he agreed. In an agreement w/Subaru we were in no rush, so we logged over 6K miles on it and had it for 7 months. When the buyback came through, we replaced it with an identical Premium, but I added a moonroof/camera and we got 1.9 financing vs the original 2.9. All payments/interest were applied, I lost nothing and had the use of the original and new loaners. I feel I actually came out ahead. I never got angry during the problems, never had to, Becker was up-front and honest every step of the way.

Dealer told me on a buyback, Subaru takes the car back to corporate for its internal use, as the title now has a 'lemon' status. If resold from Subaru it is sold with the lemon title. HOWEVER, if I would've persued a lemon law suit; the car would have to be destroyed and the VIN is tracked by the Feds.

Hope this helps?

I really love the utility of this car, it is much bigger than my 04 OB, I've had 10' molding and pipe in it. Also a huge pile of 2x4 and 6s. Also bags of cement. The passenger seat and rear seat both lay down enough to handle 8 ft lumber and the flexible 10 ft stuff tucks under the dash.

Oh yeah, NOTHING stops it in snow.

Best of luck...

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
398 Posts
JLFlick: Thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for! Now I can resume my search....

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5 Wilderness Green
150 Posts
I know the list of parts and the process for the TSBs but that didn't fix 100% of the cars, so I still believe there was something else done to the frame to stop it in its tracks as evidenced by No reports of 2012 so far.
The TSB is only as good as the tech installing it. It is 30 pages long and must be followed exactly. How do we know that there would not be a 100% fix if the TSB was performed correctly on every one?

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i
14 Posts
Hello all. This will serve as one of many fallows ups to my dealing with my shaker. As far as the dealership I have been working with; up until this time I have attempted to keep them anonymous. Reason being is I did not want any hard feelings towards my issue to become misunderstood as animosity towards this dealership. On to my praise.

BILL BRYAN SUBARU: Leesburg, Fl

I am just now back from trading out my Outback 2.5i that has been nothing but heart ache. I would like to point out that Bill Bryan Subaru and the crew that I have been dealing with are well above par. If you have ever had any past dealings with this dealership, I would advise that you try them again. There has been tons of restructuring made to insure that the customer comes first and not the other way around.

All of the attempts to fix the Outback have proven to be an uphill battle. But I will say that the effort from Bill Bryan Group in ensuring that it was taken care of to its fullest nothing less then stellar. In some situations they have gone above and beyond. But always maintaining a forward momentum.

Special thanks to:
Rob Audette - Without his direct intervention I may still be wondering the service department like a unwelcome ghost.

Mark Highland - Proof that customer care is alive and well at Bill Bryan. Even if its hiding in a body shop.

Tim - "Integrity" This is one guy that you can be sure is not pulling a fast one. He means to shoot strait and he will. I know from experience.

Jonathan - If you don't laugh at least once with this guy around you don't have a sense of humor. Great to do business with.

There are plenty of other people I would like to thank but because of anonymity I am not going to say there names. These people due to position in he dealership or otherwise (SOA Rep) will not be directly named out of respect to privacy. But thank you all none the less. This is for sure not the only time you will see my thanks.

THANK YOU BILL BRYAN SUBARU OF LEESBURG!!!!!!!!

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Well things have come full circle with me and my shaker problems...

Webster Groves Subaru of Saint Louis, Missouri: This is the dealership I had originally purchased my 2010 Outback from and they performed TSB# 05-50-10R about a year ago for me. They had no issues with doing this other than having to send my Outback to a tire shop for balancing. After having found that this TSB did not fully resolve my shaker problems I asked if they would perform TSB# 05-48-10R and they would not do so. I spoke with the service manager and she told me that it wasn't neccesary and to essentially "ride out" any issues. In fact I mentioned to her that I knew of hundreds of people who were complaining about this on the internet (although didn't mention Outback.org or my connection to this site) and one of the mechanics piped up and started going on about paranoia and BS on the internet. My shakes still weren't fixed, I would not recommend Webster Groves Subaru for shaker services.

Green Subaru of Springfield, Illinois: They were incredibly easy to deal with, I simply emailed their service department and informed them that Webster Groves Subaru had performed TSB# 05-50-10R and my shaker issues were not resolved. I asked if they would perform TSB# 05-48-10R and without hesitation they agreed to and set up a service appointment. They had my Outback in their shop for 1.5 days and afterwards they gave me a detailed list of all the work performed AND all the parts used as well, very impressive. Also they were kind enough to call and email me with updates, they get an A+ for customer service. I would HIGHLY recommend Green Subaru for shaker services.

·
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Ignatius...Can we deduct from your post that the problem is now resolved?
Well I just picked up my Outback yesterday and I'm not for certain just yet. I took it on a drive down Interstate 72 and could still feel shakes above 70 MPH. Maybe its road feel, maybe its paranoia, but I'll give it a while before passing final judgement.

I will say that overall I am much happier after having TSB# 05-48-10R performed. The steering feel is vastly improved and everything that had been an issue has now been minimized to a great extent. Perhaps my Outback is one of those that simply cannot be "cured" of the shakes, for now I am satisfied and will wait to pursue further action if at all necessary.

When I say full circle I'm referring to the fact that I had issues with Webster Groves Subaru and their seeming refusal to perform the second TSB, with Green Subaru I just asked and they obliged. Feels good to finally have this done!

·
Registered
2010 Outback Limited
29 Posts
Delta Imports in Grand Rapids MI just gave me what appears to be the standard fix: get new tires. They wanted $800 for new tires and if that didn't work $1500 for the vibration kit. I showed them the NYT article as well as the TSB but it didn't matter. They said to call SOA if I wanted any further assistance with this problem.

I will say they didn't seem pleased with me showing them the TSB. They said they know about this stuff and don't need customers bringing it in. From that point on I knew I was in for a fight.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Delta Imports in Grand Rapids MI just gave me what appears to be the standard fix: get new tires. They wanted $800 for new tires and if that didn't work $1500 for the vibration kit. I showed them the NYT article as well as the TSB but it didn't matter. They said to call SOA if I wanted any further assistance with this problem.

I will say they didn't seem pleased with me showing them the TSB. They said they know about this stuff and don't need customers bringing it in. From that point on I knew I was in for a fight.

This dealer needs to be reported to SOA. SOA should yank their franchise if this is the way they treat customers.

·
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

Addressing the bolded part, is your Outback still under warranty? They cannot charge you if it is and shouldn't even hint at it if it isn't (as a TSB should be covered free of charge by the manufacturer).

Sounds incredibly shady, I'd report them to SOA and start looking for another dealership. If they think replacing the tires alone will solve the issue, they're simply trying to sell you a set of tires on a false premise.

·
Registered
2010 Outback Limited
29 Posts
Addressing the bolded part, is your Outback still under warranty? They cannot charge you if it is and shouldn't even hint at it if it isn't (as a TSB should be covered free of charge by the manufacturer).

Sounds incredibly shady, I'd report them to SOA and start looking for another dealership. If they think replacing the tires alone will solve the issue, they're simply trying to sell you a set of tires on a false premise.
I'm going to take this a step further with Delta. I have serious concerns about their business practices (service area). I was told by them that my tires needed to be replaced. However, I have two tire shops saying I have 6/32nds left. The dealer ship is sticking by their position and wont do anything with the shaker issue until tires are replaced. The tire company's (Discount, Belle) should be the bias ones since they sell tires, but they both told me I could make it through the summer no issue.

This comes across looking very suspect.

·
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I'm going to take this a step further with Delta. I have serious concerns about their business practices (service area). I was told by them that my tires needed to be replaced. However, I have two tire shops saying I have 6/32nds left. The dealer ship is sticking by their position and wont do anything with the shaker issue until tires are replaced. The tire company's (Discount, Belle) should be the bias ones since they sell tires, but they both told me I could make it through the summer no issue.

This comes across looking very suspect.
Your tires may need to be replaced in the near future, okay that is understandable. That doesn't mean they cannot perform the TSB. I've taken as much interest in the shaker issue as anyone and am the primary moderator for the 4th Gen Outback & Shaker forums, I have NEVER heard of any dealership refusing shaker services while being adamant about tire replacement.

Like I said, find another dealership and you'll save yourself headaches. Its good to see posts like this which make this thread into exactly what it was intended to be :17:

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited, 2.5i
100 Posts
Subaru of Sherman Oaks - No Go So Far

So far, it's a no-go with Subaru of Sherman Oaks, though I will keep folks updated here.

My shake is intermittent at 70mph...and very subtle...but there for the first time at 20K miles.

I asked the dealership if they had ever heard of the wheel shake problem, and they said, "no". I told them it was a common, well documented issue, but they still claimed not to know about it. I sent them the TSB's.

Then, the service guy said, "Unless you can demontrate it, we won't be able to do anything." I reminded him this was a common problem, and that it was intermittent...we might have to drive on the open road for an hour or more to experience it. He wasn't pleased.

So far, they are completely washing their hands of this issue. Any suggestions out there?

I live in So Cal - Hollywood. The only other dealers are pretty far away.

Thank you.

·
Registered
150 Posts
So far, it's a no-go with Subaru of Sherman Oaks, though I will keep folks updated here.

My shake is intermittent at 70mpg...and very subtle...but there for the first time at 20K miles.

I asked the dealership if they had ever heard of the wheel shake problem, and they said, "no". I told them it was a common, well documented issue, but they still claimed not to know about it. I sent them the TSB's.

Then, the service guy said, "Unless you can demontrate it, we won't be able to do anything." I reminded him this was a common problem, and that it was intermittent...we might have to drive on the open road for an hour or more to experience it. He wasn't pleased.

So far, they are completely washing their hands of this issue. Any suggestions out there?

I live in So Cal - Hollywood. The only other dealers are pretty far away.

Thank you.
Just my opinion, but if the shake is very subtle as you state, it could just be the car needs wheel balance. True shakers are not known to be subtle in nature. That said, for the dealer to deny any knowledge of this well documented issue is ludicrous. Did you go to the dealer and tell him you have a shaker and want the TSB done? OR did you tell them you have a high speed shake and let them try to diagnose the issue. Sometimes customers come across as demanding and tell the dealer what they should do to correct their problem. I'm not saying this is what you did, but it may have been interpreted that way. Maybe try giving them another chance with no preconceived notion as to what might be wrong. Again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Very good suggestions, sserenity! I will try to be a little less aggressive. However, I have a good feel for out of balance condition. This is different...sort of like an oscillation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2011 2.5 Limited

For my first attempt I went to Delta Improts in Grand Rapids, MI. They blananced the tires. After that attemtp it actually got worse.

After that we moved to Indianapolis, my wife is actually at Falcone Subaru right now. All they are saying is that it need Road Force balanceing and an Alignment and they are trying to get us to pay for it. Granted the car has 30k miles on it, but It's still within the factory warranty and we have the 6 year/10k warranty on top of it.

I will be calling SOA here shortly.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Subaru of Sherman Oaks - Excellent So Far

This is an update to my earlier post. Subaru of Sherman Oaks really hadn't heard about the shaking. Maybe it's because they are a small dealer. When I gave them the TSB's and the link to you YouTube, they became very responsive. The TSB says the first step is a balance with a special balancer that had to be shipped in from another dealer.

After the balance, my Subbie appears to be better. We'll see how she does on the open road.

The dealer gave me a loaner car, but ended up performing both recalls, fixing a weak A/C issue (recharged it), fixing a dead USB port, AND the balancing in one day.

I don't recall better service. I will check in if there's another chapter in this.

·
Registered
2010 2.5i LTD
137 Posts
Carlsen Subaru - thumbs up!

While we have had some mild steering wheel shake, I always believed we didn't have a shaker, because the shake was only present half the time, as we rotated the wheels from front to back of the car. Instead, I assumed that we had a bad tyre or a bad wheel.

Last time we had the tyres rotated (which put the "bad" pair of wheels on the front), we got particularly bad shaking, just as we were setting out on a long road trip. Our local dealership (Carlsen Subaru, Redwood City, CA) did an RFB at zero notice on a busy day to make the car bearable to drive, but they wanted to take a deeper look at the next service.

When I picked the car up after the service, they told me they considered that it was a shaker and should get the shaker TSB. Note that I had not requested the TSB - the dealership actually volunteered to do this. What's more, our car was out of warranty by 1,500 miles at that point (37.5K service), but they said they would handle it as a warranty issue.

This is not the first time these guys have gone "above and beyond" for us - early on I broke the trim above the rear hatch handle, and they replaced that under warranty even though I said it was my fault and I was OK paying for it. Maybe there really is something to that Subaru "love" thing...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shaking in Hartford

I've had my 2010 Subaru Outback in to Bertera Subaru of Hartford, CT 2 or 3 times now because of a shaking steering wheel issue and general vibration.

Let me just say that they have always been VERY nice and VERY sympathetic especially the service reps named Jason, Jeff and Dave.

Unfortunately, they never told me that there has been on going problems with shaking Outbacks and repeatedly attempted to balance, align and road force test my tires as a way to solve the problem. Once they told me my tires were out to balance, another time they said the tires were defective and another time they said the car was out of alignment. They then proceeded to "fix" all of these issues but the vibration continues (although not as severe).

I wish they would keep up on these issues and inform their customers about this so that people like myself don't go crazy trying to fix a problem that can't be solved OR continue to try and fix a part of the car that is not actually defective.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts