Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This all comes down to speed. Treat a street truck like a dirt bike and stuff will break.

Very telling that they decided to slow down to 20 after breaking things.

I drive about 200 miles of rough washboard per year, and most of the route is 5-15mph. And that's enough.
Agree for sure but within 15 miles on trucks with off road package :smile2:

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Agree for sure but within 15 miles on trucks with off road package :smile2:
Ah but they weren't off road, and they weren't driving at off road speeds.

You've got me thinking that automakers are missing an opportunity here... the "car commercial package."

That's where the car is so massively overbuilt that you can do all the things you see in car commercials without needing to go car shopping again the next morning. Way tougher than any mere "off road package."

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,706 Posts
Doesn't surprise me at all that they had this heat buildup, but does surprise me that the manufacturers did not select dampers that could handle it. Racing shocks are generally subject to the same sort of velocities, but for off-road ( even gravel roads) the cycling distance and frequency is much greater than for paved tracks, and the dampers are WAY more robust in both their physical strength and the ability to dissipate heat.

Shame on both manufacturers for not building this package to the reliability level it needs.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,121 Posts
new forum sponsor @Crawford Performance

might know that particular racetrack road stretch in death valley that edmunds went to..

...and glad they went with a dorky ridgeline again. ...so as to stop others from breaking stuff there too,...

someone with a rent-a-stripper might make a video of plastic ballons popping out of a button up top on such a road. (for the naisoc crowd). :jump3::jump3:

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cannot believe they damaged three vehicles over 11 miles. Were they going 80?
They were doing 25mph the article said. Also they are not total noobs as the guy doing the test used to work at Toyota and was in the engineering team that built the Gen 1 Tacoma. Who knows maybe he had some past scores to settle :)

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
I think Myhbusters did a show on a simulated washboard or something similar - I agree about there being a less-than-ideal speed that seems to be most damaging, in between mild/slow suspension excursions and inertia being great enough to 'limit' suspension excursions.

and I think I once read some scholarly study about washboard roads - their periodicity being linked to speed and wheelbase?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,121 Posts
I think Myhbusters did a show on a simulated washboard or something similar - I agree about there being a less-than-ideal speed that seems to be most damaging, in between mild/slow suspension excursions and inertia being great enough to 'limit' suspension excursions.

and I think I once read some scholarly study about washboard roads - their periodicity being linked to speed and wheelbase?
I know ABS sensors don't like being shaken like that....and put a complaint light on the dash board which cancels itself when you get back on smooth pavement. (I type of generic ABS sensors, as I have not driven one of my subarus on long stretches of washboard to light that up).

I think on old topgear they drove a long ways on washboard in Africa on a stretch that was made of sharp rock fragments. (3 wagons, impreza wrx, volvo850, bmw 5?).

impreza AWD saving the day sometimes towing the others on mud.

Reactions: dianer

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
...and I think I once read some scholarly study about washboard roads - their periodicity being linked to speed and wheelbase?
I think there's something to that. I've also had a (less scholarly) construction engineer tell me that the spring tension in the grader blade has a big influence on eventual washboard right at the start of the process when they first cut the road.

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
5,023 Posts
They were doing 25mph the article said. Also they are not total noobs as the guy doing the test used to work at Toyota and was in the engineering team that built the Gen 1 Tacoma. Who knows maybe he had some past scores to settle :)
25 mph was too fast for this road!
And I'll bet a Happy Meal they were going faster!
Where I live, I drive the forest service roads all over the Red River Gorge here in Kentucky, I don't have to go to Death Valley, because they're the exact same condition roads.
I'm out there all the time in my 2015 Outback and have NEVER had a problem, but then again, I drive 5~10 MPH, because 25 MPH would destroy the suspension!
This is nothing more than a contrived anti-Honda, Nissan, and Toyota video, nothing more.
If I were Honda, Nissan, and Toyota, I'd have a field day with this!
When he said; "I noticed the traction control came on several times" I knew what was going on...

I just had to show this! If I told you, Y'all would say I was lying! This is a snapshot from the website showing this video.
Cast your attention to the ad on the right...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,810 Posts
Thanks, that was a good one.

So...:from the original article:

"As it happens, its Bilstein rear shocks are the skinniest ones the company offers. Things might have been different if Toyota used the next size up."

Very interesting...so the Toyota offroad package is something like the BRZ sport package? All the looks and little if any of the function?

EDIT: well, here is an OB trip report, they drove it at night:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/96-outback-unpaved/42075-death-valley-trip.html

And here is the Foz report I was looking for earlier.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f114/death-valley-camping-trip-12-2014-a-427546/

Either these guys drove the trucks there in some incredibly bad moment (it can happen) after a long time since the last maintenance etc and/or they chose the worst possible speed and/or there is something untold in the piece and/or...? The article seems keen to highlight the capabilities of the Honda but I still do not understand how every vehicle suffered some damage on a road driven by all sorts of vehicles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts