Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've thought about debadging my outback but i dont want holes to be exposed or pay someone $300 to fill in and repainted the trunk. I wonder if theirs an sli emblem product to cover the holes

(ran across this on google, this is just a decal) I registered on the SLI forum and someone has to vouch for me to post any questions:gasp: Any suggestions? other emblems?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,868 Posts
There are a number of people on this forum who have debadged their new OB's. From what I see...they are stuck on with adhesive. One person used a heat gun and dental floss to get their badges off. I don't think any manufacturer screws them on anymore. Cheaper to stick 'em on.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
+1, it's adhesive nowadays. Fishing line is a useful tool to remove.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a 2012 and its all adhesive! I debadged the entire rear hatch. Used fishing line, a hair dryer, Goof off, and wax. Took maybe an hour!

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
Prior to the 2010 OB's, the badges were held on with clips, using holes in the body. The only way to fill them is with either body-work or plugs. Years ago, I used the plastic plugs from the top of a cheap Bic pen to fill the holes in my '80 Celica.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
theres plenty of videos on youtube showing the process of debadging. My question was has anyone covered the holes using badges other than oem badges?

·
Registered
12 OB Prem
39 Posts
When I debadged my 2006 Forester, one of them ("Forester" or "Subaru") had holes behind them (from the posts on the badge - why?). I moved the OEM "AWD" from the RH side of the hatch to the LH side to cover the holes.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
177 Posts
My 05 XT Outback was just adhesive. When I bought it I had the dealership debadge everything besides the XT emblem. There were no holes. I think I'll debadge my 2013 this weekend. Fishing line, goof off and some wax afterwards works well.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
^ Take pictures after, please. Would be interested to see how it looks..

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback
110 Posts
I debadged mine a couple of days ago using the A string from a ukulele (crappy nylon Martin strings that I would have never used). The A string lasted for half the process, and then I moved to the E string.

One time, I broke a G string fingering A minor, but that's a story for another thread.

After removing the lettering, etc., I removed the bigger adhesive gunk with my thumb nail, and then I soaked the area with Goof Off so I could pick off the rest.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
^ Dang, that is one naked behind. Did you black out the Subaru logo too? Decal or replace the entire emblem?

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback
110 Posts
^ Dang, that is one naked behind. Did you black out the Subaru logo too? Decal or replace the entire emblem?
Ha, yeah, there aren't too many Outbacks in Houston, so I thought I'd keep people guessing when I pass them. I also wanted to hide the fact that I have a 3.6. It's my version of an Outback "sleeper."

I used Plasti Dip on the emblem. I've looked for something to put there, but I haven't found anything yet. I need to hit some head shops and see what kind of decals they have.

Something like this would work well if I could find the right size.

Minus the "Mr. Horsepower" of course. I don't want to be embarrassed by an SRT Jeep Cherokee.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
Might help considerably if the OP would state what year and maybe even trim level they have.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I debadged mine a couple of days ago using the A string from a ukulele (crappy nylon Martin strings that I would have never used). The A string lasted for half the process, and then I moved to the E string.

One time, I broke a G string fingering A minor, but that's a story for another thread.

After removing the lettering, etc., I removed the bigger adhesive gunk with my thumb nail, and then I soaked the area with Goof Off so I could pick off the rest.
Clean!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts