Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking of debadging the car for a sleeker look on the rear, but I seem to have found that the badges actually insert into the rear hatch? They aren't just glued on as they initially appear...is that correct?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
So I was thinking of debadging the car for a sleeker look on the rear, but I seem to have found that the badges actually insert into the rear hatch? They aren't just glued on as they initially appear...is that correct?
You're talking about the "Outback" and "Legacy" badges on the rear hatch, right?

I'm almost positive they're just attached with some strong adhesive. I know for sure that's the case on my 2004 (which has an "Outback" and "H6-3.0" badge on one side and an LL Bean Edition Emblem on the other). Pretty sure it's the same with the 1st gens, too.

We actually have two '98s (an Outback Limited and a Legacy GT Wagon), but neither are home right now, so I can't check them. One would be really easy to check, too, since part of the inside of the hatch is disassembled to try to figure out a latch issue. I'll look for you if one gets home before dark.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I too had a latch issue last year. Let me know if you need some tips w/ that! I had to examine it moving several times and figurer out where it was catching, because the latch wouldn't unlock after being locked some times. Something just need a little tweeking and I haven't had the problem since.

·
Registered
303 Posts
On Gen 2's, the "Outback" has holes in the hatch. The rest: AWD, Limited, and most likely the LL Bean, and 3.0 badges are just double sided tape.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Gen 1's have alignment holes for the legacy badge only. The outback and AWD badge are just adhesive.

I learned this after pulling them all off mine and I ended up lighty smoking the legacy badge and glueing it back on.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, well I guess I'll leave 'em alone for now. :( I suppose I could find/fashion a little plug for that hole...any opinions on that? Any suggestions on common household hardware stuff you can buy that can be modified for that?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Not totally. There are 2 holes and I was more worried about water intrusion.

Did think about putting a vinyl sticker over them. That would seal it up and not look too out of place.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, well I'll probably just leave them alone. I wouldn't want water intrusion either. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
kirtydandra
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing