Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...while it is very difficult to get 30+ mpg on the 2013 2.5i Outback there are some good ways and it is possible. First thing don't start complaining until you have at least 10K miles because it takes that long to get things broken in. Second thing dont expect to get 30 MPG on cruise control unless you live in Kansas and drive at 62 mph it ain't happening. Ok here are my tips. Some are the ones you have heard before (I recently was able to get 30.5 MPG on a 145 mile round trip of mixed hwy and interstate driving in central to eastern Indiana):
1. Drive it like an egg is between your foot and the gas pedal
2. Make use of rolling hills, i.e. accellerate and "put a little more stretch in your slingshot" to get you up the hill
3. When driving in town allow space for stopping and accellerating. Don't be in a hurry

The issue with the Outback and the reason why peple are complaining about not getting the MPG is that while it has a very efficient drivetrain it is a monster of a big honking heavy awd wagon. You have to manage that inertia. Its all physics. Manage your Outback, become one with it and let your foot communicate with the gas pedal. You dont have a 300 hp Audi twin turbo v6 to work with, you have 174 hp. Its not about the transmission, its all about the weight to power ratio (usually you say power to weight, but ya know we are talking more about the power deficit).

Love your Outback and it will love you back with MPG's

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I like the egg comment. Accordingly, I haven't floored my car since I've owned it.
I seldom see more than 2500 rpm either..and my mpg is fine.
And I don't use cruise except going downhill.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited
29 Posts
The thing is, when I see "Highway" MPG, I immediately expect the use of cruise control. If I have to constantly think about these things, basically hypermiling just to get the EPA estimated highway, then that is BS. I had a 2012 Sonata 2.0T and it would constantly get higher than EPA estimates, and would easily get 27 MPG on the same stretch of highway that my Outback only gets 23 at most. Granted it's only at 1600 miles, but I'm not very happy that my highest has only been 23.6 MPG when that is 70-80% highway. Maybe it's the cold or the gas, who knows, but my turbo car performed much better, with WAY more generous use of the gas ;) even during freezing temperatures.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
619 Posts
Best I've gotten on my 2011 was 36.1 MPG.

I went 611 miles on one tank of fuel for that number... Once. Never again, though...

That was 60 MPH on a road trip, going easy up hills (not too many, at that) with the A/C off. Used my light foot, not the Cruise control. I don't have the patience to try it again.

And regarding that 10,000 mile thing... Nah. I had about 4500 miles on the car at the time.

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
Cruise works for me, the only time I actually avoid it is going up steep hills.

Today's cars are not like that cars of yesterday, just about everything is tied together and even things that you'd never suspect will have an effect on MPG, take the heater temp control for example, I leave the house in the morning and fire up the car, take off and about a mile later I'm at a short highway section that allows me to get up to 45, I look at the tach and it is right at 2100 RPM, I reach over an turn the heater temp knob down to just under about 3/4 and the tach will drop and settle at 1700 even though I am still doing exactly 45 MPH, turn the knob back up and the tach will go back up, this will happen until the car is fully warmed up, not just the blue Subaru thinks I'm too stupid to read gauges so gave me an idiot light going off warm.

Pay attention to what your car is telling you, if you look at the tach and some little brain cell cell says hmmmmmmmm why so high for this speed, lift you foot slightly and see if it maintains the same speed at a lower RPM, you will be surprised that the computer doesn't always make the best decision.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight
218 Posts
* Keep your tires properly inflated.

* Buy Top Tier (fresh) gasoline.

* Don't speed.

* Avoid jack-rabbit starts / heavy acceleration.

* Keep even / smooth pressure on the gas pedal.

* Get rid of unneeded junk in the trunk.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight
218 Posts
Adam07:

Your engine is not broke-in yet. Wait until 10,000 miles before raising MPG expectations.

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
I guess I just don't understand why people that are so concerned with MPG buy Outbacks in the first place. Especially when you live in an area without snow etc. There are plenty of cars out there that get better mileage. Can't have your cake and eat it, too.

·
Registered
09 OB 2.5i Limited. 2010 OB 2.5i Limited
40 Posts
The OP is providing useful, but also very generic, tips for improving mileage.

There is nothing offered specific to the 2013 MPG gripes. So this fails to address the question of whether or not the 2013s are really seeing lower MPG than prior model years.

I'd like to see a full year of data before reaching any conclusions. Anecdotes are useless IMHO and there is too much noise in the data from fuel blends, weather conditions, etc......

R

·
Registered
25 Posts
I guess I just don't understand why people that are so concerned with MPG buy Outbacks in the first place. Especially when you live in an area without snow etc. There are plenty of cars out there that get better mileage. Can't have your cake and eat it, too.
People aren't complaining because their Outback doesn't do as well as their diesel VW Golf. They're concerned because the car isn't performing the way Subaru told them to expect. That's real money out of their pocket and also raises the question - "Is something wrong with my car that I ought to get fixed while it's still under warranty?".

Having said that, our first 3 tanks were pretty abysmal (less than 22mpg) but two were mostly city, one had a couple hundred highway miles but with a cargo box on top. Sure, the car was new but I was starting to worry too. The most recent was 29. All highway and we stayed at 65-70mph, but it reassured me somewhat that there isn't anything broken in the engine/electronics.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And...we need another thread for this???
I started this given that the thread with the thousands of comments is mainly negative (maybe only 5% constructive)

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
I bought this car to be comfortable. I average 27-30mpg, depending on the time of year and differing destinations, by using cruise control 90% of the time. that includes PLENTY of hills and lots of stops. my car is slightly heavier and has wider tires than your average outback. all you need to do is briskly accelerate to your cruising speed, around 3K rpms, and then set your cruise control. I drive between 6-11 mph over the speed limit unless its in an area with ******* cops. when exiting the freeway or coming to a red light or stop sign, you coast as much as possible. the brakes are your enemy. they are only there for emergencies or hauling a bitchy wife. you also do not need to come to an almost complete stop to go around corners the way most people do. also, who complains about the fuel consumption estimates of the outback? its pretty **** close. the impreza on the other hand is difficult to achieve the high numbers like advertised.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts