Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 OBXT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

so I can't find any aftermarket midpipes for the Gen 3 XT anywhere? or for the LegacyGT if they're the same.

I'd like to get the nameless axle-back but that'd leave me with a stock mid so I'd like to replace that as well. So far it looks like my only option would be a borla catback and trying to sell the axleback part of it by itself.

Anybody know of any midpipes out there I could purchase?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,318 Posts
you can look back through the classifeds here and on Legacygt.com and may come up lucky.

but beware with nameless some people talk of drone vs. good noise.

and have then had misgivings for their XT/ LGT as it had a baby seat in it, ...and then went back to the previous exhaust.

(so yeah, ...cast offs and whole car part outs may produce the parts you are looking for,....and plenty of opinions,

even some youtube before and after videos.

@traildogck even made some.

·
Registered
'09 OBXT with SpecB 6MT/BTS-5056/DOM1.5XTR and '02 WRX w/loads of JDM parts
292 Posts
I was one of those people that bought a Nameless exhaust and ending up selling the 5” “mufflers”. When I bought mine they made a cat back exhaust and I kept the mid pipe which is well constructed but the y-pipe is extremely close to the rear sway bar so you need to use extended hangers, or it’ll make contact over bumps resulting in a nice “clang”. AVO should still have a midpipe available.

·
Registered
2005 18psi supercharged U5 Outback w/207k+ miles
758 Posts
I do not think the Borla is compatible with anything else. That is, you can't take the Borla mid pip and use it with the Nameless mufflers. Take a look at the pictures: https://www.amazon.com/Borla-140123...sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=borla+legacy+gt+exhaust

Look how long that pipe is coming out of the muffler, It seems like there'd be plenty of room to cut and clamp on a turn down on it.

You could buy the Bosal and see if it works for you, or get the Borla and cut off the straight tips and put turn downs on them?

More Information for BOSAL 286975

My Bosal resonator is rattling pretty badly though - I believe it is an internal rattle and going to have to now cut out the resonator and weld in a new one.

I also do not like the dual exhaust, it is pointless as far as I can tell and keeps failing at the "Y", but no good options for single exhaust. I have asked Nameless if they will sell me a single driver's side 5" "muffler" , haven't heard back. I would probably just cut off the Bosal unit right before the "Y" split, and have someone run a pipe, but custom work is never cheap even for something short and easy.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Nothing wrong with a stock replacement or equivalent midpipe unless you have a much bigger turbo or simply must have excessive noise and love the sound of exhaust drone while cruising. But yeah, lots of options if that's what you're after

·
Master Caster
16,144 Posts
Nothing wrong with a stock replacement or equivalent midpipe unless you have a much bigger turbo or simply must have excessive noise and love the sound of exhaust drone while cruising. But yeah, lots of options if that's what you're after
100% agreed.

A decent DP and Muffs and you really don't need the cabin noise..

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT limited
386 Posts
I LOVE THE DRONE!!!!! Avo mid pipe. Otherwise order an OEM midpipe from Quirk parts - think they were $275 or $300.
If you could find an LGT SPT exhaust, with some mild exhaust tweaks by a shop you'd have one great sounding exhaust.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT limited
386 Posts
Showoff!!! HAHAHAHA I have to get a cam sometime. Silly to say, I've had complaints and some thumbs up but either way I don't have people following too close hahaha. Though I pray I pass inspection in March now that MA has passed new regulations.

·
Master Caster
16,144 Posts
Showoff!!! HAHAHAHA I have to get a cam sometime.
My Red car is stock quiet, if that is any consolation. Until the BOV, which is a screamer if I run the backside bugal to atmosphere.

But Cherry has zero exhaust note...

·
Registered
2005 OBXT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well thanks everybody, I shouldn't of taken the word from the guys at nameless I suppose. I didn't bother to follow up myself except for here.

For me, the outback is so quiet and dampened I'd like to have some sort of exhaust note, even with the COBB downpipe and the 16G turbo it doesn't sound that great with the stock mufflers. It won't ever get close to the drone of my other car so...off I look for the Avo Mid...

·
Master Caster
16,144 Posts
..off I look for the Avo Mid...
So. I bought directly from AVO America. I was told the Mid-pie would take 6 to 8 weeks. It had to be built in Japan. It took a little more than 10 weeks if I remember. I had purchased the entire system from them and the install was well into the future. The wait did not pinch me.

The AVO sh*t is expensive, so some things are not stocked.

Beware, many online retails will show they have something...but 5 days later you get an email saying the don't. The very thing happened with me trying like h*ll to find an AVO up-pipe with a bung in it. I was't willing to wait for that at the time.

And the COBB DP won't sound much different out the tail pipe. I assume it came with a reducer at the mid-pipe connection for the OEM pipe.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So. I bought directly from AVO America. I was told the Mid-pie would take 6 to 8 weeks. It had to be built in Japan. It took a little more than 10 weeks if I remember. I had purchased the entire system from them and the install was well into the future. The wait did not pinch me.

The AVO sh*t is expensive, so some things are not stocked.

Beware, many online retails will show they have something...but 5 days later you get an email saying the don't. The very thing happened with me trying like h*ll to find an AVO up-pipe with a bung in it. I was't willing to wait for that at the time.

And the COBB DP won't sound much different out the tail pipe. I assume it came with a reducer at the mid-pipe connection for the OEM pipe.
Very willing to wait right now, but yes I am debating on if I want to spend about....$1,400 on just a cat-back from AVO. That's the same price of nice set of headers.

Will probably browse the classifieds and LGT Classifieds as well as ask in local Subaru groups for a couple of weeks first.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT limited
386 Posts
Honestly, you could go to a custom exhaust shop and probably get something of equal quality with a warranty as well for the same price as avo. The 3" is nice - but to note, it hangs down lower so don't off road the old girl or you will take out your exhaust. If avo had done a 2.75 tapering to the 2.5 mufflers it would have been super clean. The 3" is just bazooka big.

Get the avo mufflers. If you want grumble - get a UEL header, decatted up pipe and a 3" downpipe - WITH A TUNEEEE and call it a day. You'll get the grumble from the mufflers but with out the drone.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honestly, you could go to a custom exhaust shop and probably get something of equal quality with a warranty as well for the same price as avo. The 3" is nice - but to note, it hangs down lower so don't off road the old girl or you will take out your exhaust. If avo had done a 2.75 tapering to the 2.5 mufflers it would have been super clean. The 3" is just bazooka big.

Get the avo mufflers. If you want grumble - get a UEL header, decatted up pipe and a 3" downpipe - WITH A TUNEEEE and call it a day. You'll get the grumble from the mufflers but with out the drone.
You know, you make a point. I should look at exhaust shops near me. The up-pipe and downpipe are already checked off :) just need the headers and the cat-back... Trying to do headers, cat-back, intake, and AOS all at the same time before I go in for another dyno/tuning run. Doesn't help I'm trying to settle a place to live right now either. Lot's going on! lol

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT 5 speed
50 Posts
Found this thread looking for feedback on the AVO system for the Outback XT. Hoping traildogck can give more details on what was installed on the car in those videos from a year ago, was it the AVO midpipe/resonator, AVO Y pipe, and AVO mufflers? If not, which mufflers (if any) were on there, and was it a stock DP or other aftermarket DP? The Y pipe on my XT rusted through, I'm considering replacement options of either stock midpipe/resonator/Y with AVO mufflers, or the full AVO cat back system. My car has a COBB catted 3" DP and is running COBB Stage 2 91 octane tune. Looking for some added rumble on acceleration but definitely not at the expense of any drone during cruise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried a couple options and AVO was impossible to attain and the magazine options had many reviews about behind too loud.

So... I started with a 3” custom mid and y pipe to dual 2 1/2” magnaflow mufflers it was too loud and had a ton of drone for my daily driver. 98db in the car at 70-80 mph...

After adding a 3” vibrant resonator in the mid pipe and replacing the straight through magnaflow mufflers with some factory sti chambered mufflers (did a little trim on the bumper for dual straight out like the old legacy). I think the car sounds and feels great. All in the custom project was around $600. The side benefit for me was also adding v band clamps so I should never need gaskets again.

Now running a gt30 with ewg so the noise doesn’t become a factor until I want it to.

It’s not the popular thing to do around here but my local shop Is great and appreciated the business. I hope this helps. The Outback is a weird animal.

Oh yeah and the 08-14 Wrx spt mid and axle back is not a bolt up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts