Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback XT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm sure this sort of question gets put up a lot. I need/want your valued input!

Currently, I have an 06 OBXT 98k mi. Gone thru two turbos, the first with the owner before me and the second at about 90k mi. Warranty covered my new engine replacement (turbo broke apart and shot into different parts of the motor/engine and needed replacing). Now, I kind of want to trade it in for something newer, even though I have a brand new engine - I just dont trust it and want to start fresh.

Option 1 - I'm watching an 07 OBXT, which has a few more options then I currently have, less mi (65k), a color that I like better, leather, sunroof, nav. But I'm afraid of getting into another situation where I need turbo replacing. Option 2 is, I go with Gen. 4, a 2010 3.6 with a few more miles then the 07. I just dont know if I'll be happy with the 3.6, I test drove one and although I know they produce about the same HP, I feel like I'm not ready to stop driving a turbo.

What do you think? I assume the XT people out there will say XT and the others and more conservative will say 3.6 :)

Appreciate your experiences and thoughts.

Kevin

Edit: I dont see any gen 3 3.0s out there otherwise it would be an option 3.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,421 Posts
Edit: I dont see any gen 3 3.0s out there otherwise it would be an option 3.
Oh they are out there. Maybe not common in your area but the late 3rd gen outback 3.0R is a great option.

You get the classic look, an engine from the opposite end of the operating cost scale and most of the same shove when you put the pedal down.

Go find one!

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
I wouldn't trade up from a XT that you know the maintenance on to one you don't know. Unless it comes with every oil change record, I wouldn't consider it. You have a fresh start with a new engine and turbo, and what you save in sales tax on the newer XT you can put in to shocks, LCA bushing, etc.

But if you want better reliability and lower operating cost, I agree with rasterman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts