Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Limited 3.6R
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've been a lurker for a few months and just joined the forum. Thank you for your valuable information! I purchased a new 2018 OB Limited 3.6R in January (my third Subaru) and it now has 3k miles. I've been aware of an occasional odor since I purchased the car but attributed it to 'new car smell.' Well, I just had some accessories added over the weekend and was told by the dealer that I had an exhaust leak in the muffler. When he went to fix it, he realized it was a defective weld and would require the replacement of the catalytic converter. Of course, the fix is covered under warranty, but a defective weld has shaken my trust in the car.

I've attached three photos taken by the mechanic and I'd appreciate your input on how I should handle the situation. Should I contact SOA and complain? Should I demand something in particular for the fix/resolution? Should I be concerned about possible other issues? Or should I just get it replaced and be on my way? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Exhaust 1.jpg

Exhaust 2.jpg

Exhaust 3.jpg

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
If the problem is fixed for free under warranty, what is the concern?

Reactions: jsgntulok

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Really a cheap 3rd party exhaust item has shaken your trust in a vehicle compromised of 1000’s of parts? You must spend allot if money on anxiety meds. Way way more serious things in life to be shaken about than a car that got a bad muffler.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,352 Posts
What you should do is be grateful that you have a competent dealership service department that located and fixed a problem that you didn't even know you had. It's neither unusual or the end of the world when one part out of thousands has a production defect. If this was a bad weld on part of the car that might have affected safety or structural integrity in an accident I might be more concerned. Get on with life and enjoy your new car.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,252 Posts
... should I just get it replaced and be on my way?
Yes. That's what the warranty is for. ... and you might want to thank your dealer for spotting it for you.

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
I've attached three photos taken by the mechanic and I'd appreciate your input on how I should handle the situation. Should I contact SOA and complain? Should I demand something in particular for the fix/resolution? Should I be concerned about possible other issues? Or should I just get it replaced and be on my way? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!
Your car has thousands of welds. A bad weld is not uncommon and no big deal. Just get the cat replaced and be on your way........

If it shakes your trust you can always trade it in on something more trustworthy.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium w/Eyesight package #14
357 Posts
I understand that one might not expect any defects in any new car purchase. A vehicle is usually one's second largest purchase (aside from a home) and probably the most sophisticated marriage between mechanics & electronics you will buy during your lifetime. An imperfect weld in an exhaust should not be of too much concern. It sounds like you have technically astute & customer service oriented service department at your dealership. They listened to you, examined the car, found the culprit - then communicated to you fully and affirmed the issue will be taken care of. That's top notch! These things happen to Lexus, Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar and all other vehicles. In your place, I would not be at all concerned. Subaru vehicles are generally very well thought of, receiving "recommended" status from Consumer Reports magazine and other well-known review organizations. They also receive a high-level of consumer approval in most surveys. I hope you will free yourself from this worry and continue to enjoy and adventure in your new Outback Limited 3.6R. :)

·
Registered
17 Outback Touring 3.6R blue 18 Chevy Silverado High Country and a 11 Dodge Challenger SRT 8
322 Posts
Let them do the repair and move on life is to short to get upset over such a little thing. I would bet most dealers would not have caught it and you should be thankful someone is checking your car over that close. If they had to replace a engine or transmission at 3k I would get upset. Let them repair it and enjoy the car!!!

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
602 Posts
It sounds like the dealership is going to take care of the problem and get you back on the road. You are not out anything other than the time to drop off the car and pick it up.

If you want to ask for something get a free wash and wax or another keychain.

This does not rise up to the level of calling mommy to say that the other kids are being mean to you.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
453 Posts
When I bought my new 2016 OB Ltd back in April 2016, three weeks of driving it, I was informed that my steering column needed to be replaced under a recall. SOA was fast acting catching the defect and providing a replacement. Mine was replaced in three days. Auto makers like any major manufacturer are at the mercy of 2nd and 3rd party suppliers of sub-assemblies and components. Despite incoming quality control, some defects can get through. Key is the manufacturer or dealer catching the defect quickly and correcting the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,319 Posts
was told by the dealer that I had an exhaust leak in the muffler. When he went to fix it, he realized it was a defective weld and would require the replacement of the catalytic converter. Of course, the fix is covered under warranty, but a defective weld has shaken my trust in the car.
The photos are of a bad weld in the header, not the muffler. I was curious about why you would have to replace the catalytic converter from a bad muffler.... Big difference.

Anyways, a bad weld in the exhaust system does not equate to you driving a car that will self-destruct. It was noticed, fixed for free, move on with life and enjoy the car as you had planned on doing.

·
Registered
'18 Limited 3.6R
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, all, for your input. I do feel better hearing from you that it's not a big deal. I haven't bought many new cars, and so the thought of an issue, even minor, so early on bothered me. In any event, I'll get it fixed and enjoy the drive!

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,319 Posts
Thank you, all, for your input. I do feel better hearing from you that it's not a big deal. I haven't bought many new cars, and so the thought of an issue, even minor, so early on bothered me. In any event, I'll get it fixed and enjoy the drive!
No problem! If it makes you feel better, I have 60k miles on mine and haven't had a major issue.

I'm surprised that no one caught that at PDI, I would have assumed the boxer engine would have a louder growl and a seasoned employee notice!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi all, I've been a lurker for a few months and just joined the forum. Thank you for your valuable information! I purchased a new 2018 OB Limited 3.6R in January (my third Subaru) and it now has 3k miles. I've been aware of an occasional odor since I purchased the car but attributed it to 'new car smell.' Well, I just had some accessories added over the weekend and was told by the dealer that I had an exhaust leak in the muffler. When he went to fix it, he realized it was a defective weld and would require the replacement of the catalytic converter. Of course, the fix is covered under warranty, but a defective weld has shaken my trust in the car.

Nothing made is 100% If you are old enough to buy a car, you should know this. Don't make a mountain out of a mole-hill. The cat replacement will be (or has been been) recorded and is in (or will be) Subaru's part failure inventory. If multiple failures start occurring, They will initiate a recall.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,713 Posts
I haven't bought many new cars, and so the thought of an issue, even minor, so early on bothered me.
Actually, it's nothing that developed as an "issue" from driving it, that's the way it was built. So it's good that it was caught early on. You had an observant service tech who spotted it and did the right thing reporting it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts