Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'll try to make this quick and see what everyone's opinions are.

I bought a new 2017 Outback and after signing and handing over the down payment (already did an inspection) I walked out to get my car and the sales guy told me that it had gotten dented during the detailing... I was a bit angry but they promised to fix it so I decided to suck it up and accept it. Anyways I scheduled a time to fix the dents and before then I got an email notifying me of the Starlink system having a warning light on that needed dealership attention. I notified the dealership about the Starlink problem when I dropped it of to get the dents fixed and they said they would take care of that too.

I was given a new loaner while waiting for the repairs but have since waited 18 days for my new car to be fixed. They said they have repaired the dents but the Starlink problem was more extensive than though. They have now replaced the antennae (which didn't fix it), the telematics chip (also didn't work), and now they are replacing the wiring for the Starlink which requires taking apart parts of the roof and dash. I'm pretty pissed that this is all required on a new car and have requested the Added Security Gold Plus plan as reassurance that I didn't get a dud, but have not gotten a response yet.

How would any of you react in this situation? Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this matter? It's not like they are going to give me a new replacement but I don't want to get screwed either.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
As soon as I saw it was dented I would not have taken delivery but now that you have done that you've lost some of your leverage.

Asking for the extended warranty is a good starting point. Next thing you need to do is learn your state's lemon laws. In my state if it were out of service for another 12 days it could be considered a lemon.

You should also open a case with SOA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
z28Doug, yes I guess I'm a bit of a pushover in trusting the dealership, but at the time it was just the dent which to be honest I will probably put some of my own on there soon enough. The starlink thing happened later. AZ lemon law is 30 days working on it or 4 attempts to fix it unsuccessfully. They are at 3 attempts and 20 days and they just finished today. So if the fix worked I won't reach the lemon law. Can I still start a case with SOA? I did contact SOA but they just contacted me and said they had referred me back to the dealership.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Touring
43 Posts
Get Subaru involved! Yesterday. So easy for them to get you another car and auction that junker off. Call your lender too. Just my two worthless pennies

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,179 Posts
Name and shame the dealership. To have them take your money then say by the way we dented it is unacceptable............

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I definitely like the lender idea and tomorrow I'm going to push a lot harder on Subaru also. If I had more time I would definitely be putting more pressure on them but as a full time student with a job most of my free time is after regular business hours.

But let me get this right, some of you believe I should automatically go for a new car despite not reaching the lemon law criteria yet?

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,021 Posts
Look at the bright side. You are driving a new car at the moment for free!

I don't think I would worry about the starlink....but I would have refused the car if it was dented!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I definitely like the lender idea and tomorrow I'm going to push a lot harder on Subaru also. If I had more time I would definitely be putting more pressure on them but as a full time student with a job most of my free time is after regular business hours.

But let me get this right, some of you believe I should automatically go for a new car despite not reaching the lemon law criteria yet?
At this point I do not think you should automatically be going for a new car. That will be an uphill battle if it has not reached the point of being considered a lemon in your state. The time for that was BEFORE you took delivery.

Hopefully the dealer has successfully resolved the problem and you will have no further problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't say I'm diving a new car for free. I have a loaner that had less features than what I paid for and basically lost a month worth of subscriptions because of that.

My main concern is that in repairing the vehicle by taking apart so many components that should never need to be replaced/repaired that the likely hood of accidental problems just increased due to human error. Also, that they may not have actually fixed anything but just covered the symptoms. The service department person told me that they did not do any diagnostics to see what the underlying problem was. They only followed Subaru standard protocol and started replacing parts related to the problem starting at the most inexpensive. They say it is "fixed" now, but I'm a bit sceptical.

·
Premium Member
2019 2.5i Limited PZEV, EyeSight, Magnetite Gray Metallic, Black Interior
220 Posts
Many of us went through some similar concerns with the steering column recall, and even more without realizing it since the dealers had to repair a lot of in-stock cars prior to sale as new. I don't see many complaints about unexpected rattles or other broken things from having the dash etc. removed on many brand new cars, so I'd start by having some faith that a dealership can pull off this repair without breaking something else.

At some point, buying a car is like getting on an airplane. Once the door closes, the flight is out of your hands and worrying about crashing is pointless because there's nothing you can do about it. Same with plunking down the deposit on a car. Accidents happen, things get dented, systems fail, and 'dems the breaks as they say. Your dealer is making a good-faith effort to fix things and it feels terrible, but this is how life works.

Knowing what state you reside in would help, but in my scan of Lemon Law summaries at https://www.carlemon.com/lemons.html I couldn't find a single state that would invoke a Lemon Law for less than 30 days out of service and/or multiple attempts at repair. And that's a lawsuit/complaint between you and the manufacturer anyway.

I think the fair thing to do is ask for compensation from both the dealer (for denting the car) and from Subaru for the manufacturing defect. An extended warranty might sound reasonable, but is actually a pretty hefty demand: why should Subaru potentially take on the burden of a multi-thousand dollar engine/transmission swap years down the road because of a broken Starlink system? The remedy doesn't fit the fault.

More appropriate: free Starlink for life from Subaru and a dealer credit or a gift card for future parts and accessory purchases. Waiting for a new car is tough and we always want it perfect, but you're buying an extremely complicated machine that navigates the real world where people and the environment provide ample opportunity for bumps and scrapes and things to break. The sooner you learn to deal with that and relax, the happier you'll be. It's a car - a commodity - not a priceless work or a one-of-a-kind object that gets locked in a vault for protection.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,698 Posts
Ok, a buddy of mine is just finishing this very issue up with SOA so let me share how it worked.

He purchased a 2017 with certain packages and features but noticed within the first week that the car just wasn't right. Took it to the dealer who identified the likely problem but it wasn't something they couldn't repair on their site but they got the OK to send it to an outside shop. My buddy is given a loaner.

The problem does not qualify for lemon law since it's not a safety issue and the is no risk of loss of life or injury if the car were to be driven.

About a month in, SOA says this isn't the new buyer experience they want him to have and offer to replace the car. They start their search for an identical car but because it was a closeout 2017 with a certain package and features, there are none nationwide.

A couple of weeks they say they'll put him in a 2018 for the 2017 price and terms. He accepts.

The dealer is able to fix the car but the new car will be delivered next week and all parties agree that the 2017 will be exchanged.

No lemon law but the amount of bad press that SOA could incur over this makes them eating the cost a no brainer. Bad press is free these days and Subie could spend far more in time and effort and still never get ahead of the bad press.

That was his path and perhaps there are nuggets of info that will help you.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
738 Posts
Ok, a buddy of mine is just finishing this very issue up with SOA so let me share how it worked.

He purchased a 2017 with certain packages and features but noticed within the first week that the car just wasn't right. Took it to the dealer who identified the likely problem but it wasn't something they couldn't repair on their site but they got the OK to send it to an outside shop. My buddy is given a loaner.

The problem does not qualify for lemon law since it's not a safety issue and the is no risk of loss of life or injury if the car were to be driven.

About a month in, SOA says this isn't the new buyer experience they want him to have and offer to replace the car. They start their search for an identical car but because it was a closeout 2017 with a certain package and features, there are none nationwide.

A couple of weeks they say they'll put him in a 2018 for the 2017 price and terms. He accepts.

The dealer is able to fix the car but the new car will be delivered next week and all parties agree that the 2017 will be exchanged.

No lemon law but the amount of bad press that SOA could incur over this makes them eating the cost a no brainer. Bad press is free these days and Subie could spend far more in time and effort and still never get ahead of the bad press.

That was his path and perhaps there are nuggets of info that will help you.
And this is the reason I Love Subaru,, I don't believe any other manufacturer is as concerned about GOOD customer service.. #subaruambassadors

Reactions: Dnp1970
1 - 12 of 12 Posts