Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'07 outback
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... inner-right front constant velocity joint perched, directly over the starboard side exhaust, grease from a torn boot subsequently flashes, inducing an engine bay fire. Have a look-see the attachment - Samuel, '07 Green Bean

Attachments

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts
it sure cooks the boot good, you can fasten a little pan down there and heat soup too.
Make a license plate deflector shield between exhaust and boot, works.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,490 Posts
regular post here, its not just the 2005-2009 plain jane H4, more out there that do it.

make a bracket and bold a piece of steel there.

nice OEM green cap axle there to reboot with a OEM boot.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
Welcome to owning a 2000+ Subaru.

Heard of a bazillion cooked passenger boots. Had 5 myself.

Never heard of it causing a fire though, just plenty of bad smell and some smoke.

Reactions: traildogck

·
Registered
'07 outback
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... my '04 Prius, 170 thousand miles on its odometer, nary a problem, and the local Toyota dealership treat me like royalty.

My Subaru, not even 45 thousand miles on its odometer, already I'm replacing an axle? To fix the thing, masters of the universe at our local Subaru dealership, here in the Southern California High Desert, quoted US$900, and they can't get to it until Thursday. Reputable local independent repair shop, US$225. And, they'll have her done first thing in the morning.

I'm disappointed. This, my 3rd Subaru, I deserve not being treated like a chump. Principle of the thing, Subaru should have fixed this, free - Samuel, '07 Green Bean.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,490 Posts

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
Since it isn't a safety concern, I doubt they'll care.

But you do you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.