Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Gas is in very short supply here on Long Island. My friend has a late model (2010?) Outback that has been totaled by a falling tree. The car has a full tank of gas. I have been using a Bosch electronic fuel pump from an old Porsche to pump gas out of my jet ski and boat. I want to pump the gas out of the Subaru for him to use in his generator ( he still has no electric).

What is the mechanics of the anti theft device that prevents putting a hose down the gas filler? Can I punch that out with a steel rod? If not, where is the best place to tap into the fuel system? We are not concerned with damaging the car as it has already been declared a total by the insurance company.

Thanks in advance for any help. This fuel will save him from waiting many, many hours on the fuel lines. Long Island now looks like something out of a bad disaster movie on TV.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
If it's like the older models, look under the right rear seat for an access panel for the fuel pump. A few bolts out and you should see gas.

I duuno about the filler pipe.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
You could try and power the subs fuel pump and take it out the supply line.

that's probably a lot easier than my way. pull the relay , jumper a coupla terminals and the fuel will likely flow. I suppose a car crushed by a tree 'could' have a dead battery.

worth a try if the battery is still juiced and the hood opens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw the car this morning. The rear of the wagon is crushed flat to the beltline so the rear seat cannot be accessed. I'm not a Subaru guy so I an not familiar with the fuel delivery system. Looking under the hood I was not able to identify the fuel supply line. Any hints?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
1 Lucky Texan
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing