Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
What Forester (year) is that picture from? I had 2010 Forester XT that I have traded in for 2013 OB. There were some issues with turbos in earlier Foresters (and some recalls) and most owners wisely purchased extended warranty on those vehicles. Most (if not all) US turbos are manufactured by Garrett for many years now and they have pretty good reliability record. Most fauilures of Garrett units were due to abuse or failure to properly change oil at proper intervals with proper oil.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,432 Posts
Most (if not all) US turbos are manufactured by Garrett for many years now and they have pretty good reliability record. Most fauilures of Garrett units were due to abuse or failure to properly change oil at proper intervals with proper oil.
Garrett does make a good turbo, but I think Subaru's been a lifelong customer of Ishikawajima- IHI.

John, Thanks for the picture- sick burn!!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Interesting... my 2010 Forester was still made in Japan and therefore the Japanese unit might have been there, as you have pointed out - not sure though, as I have never checked the manufacturer on mine and as I had no problems during the 3 years that I owned XT.
One would think that cars assembled in Indiana would outsource those to a local Garrett - but I am not sure of that as I don't have a turbo.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,432 Posts
That plant in Indiana is technically in Japan. Trade laws are weird. The cars produced there are complete knockdowns as far as I've read. So cars produced there actually have to be "imported" on paper and have tariffs paid before they go to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Well, one exception is the roof rack; that is designed and manufactured in the U.S. And so are the car seats....and leather/vinyl combos.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
What causes that kind of damage? Heat or oil starvation?
Would a pyrometer help prevent turbo melt down?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Typically, something related to oil and lubrication.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
That plant in Indiana is technically in Japan. Trade laws are weird. The cars produced there are complete knockdowns as far as I've read. So cars produced there actually have to be "imported" on paper and have tariffs paid before they go to the dealer.
Looking at the sticker, engine and transmission are from Japan, then 40% of components are from Japan and 40% of components are US/Canada origin. Not excatly "knocked down kits" being imported here....

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
Pretty much all oem subaru turbos are IHI.

I'd hate to see what that failure did to the rest of the engine.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What causes that kind of damage? Heat or oil starvation?
Would a pyrometer help prevent turbo melt down?
Usually the bearings become starved for oil, start to bind, and then shed metal. Then the clearances open up due to wear and the shaft gets loose and moves radially. At that point the impeller and turbine start banging around in their housings and you get battering damage and metal shards headed into the engine and out the tailpipe.

The stuff going into the engine is the biggest problem since it destroys the heads and pistons for sure, and maybe scores the cylinder walls.

Change your oil on schedule and use nothing but synthetic! Check and clean, or remove, the banjo filter!

I would put a pyrometer on a highly tuned engine just to keep track of the combustion temps, but it wouldn't have helped in this case, IMHO. Someone ignored the warning signs here and kept flogging the car after the turbo started to go! This kind of damage doesn't happen in a couple of seconds - probably it was many minutes, with really bad noises from the engine compartment and black smoke pouring out the tailpipe. If he had shut it down as soon as he saw smoke (when the seals failed) he might have saved the engine.

Here is the discussion - I didn't post a link because they don't really say much worth reading. ... http://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledi...hink_this_might_be_your_problem_turbo_out_of/

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,860 Posts
...looks like a turbofan blade after sucking in a bird...:gasp:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Usually the bearings become starved for oil, start to bind, and then shed metal. Then the clearances open up due to wear and the shaft gets loose and moves radially. At that point the impeller and turbine start banging around in their housings and you get battering damage and metal shards headed into the engine and out the tailpipe.

The stuff going into the engine is the biggest problem since it destroys the heads and pistons for sure, and maybe scores the cylinder walls.

Change your oil on schedule and use nothing but synthetic! Check and clean, or remove, the banjo filter!

I would put a pyrometer on a highly tuned engine just to keep track of the combustion temps, but it wouldn't have helped in this case, IMHO. Someone ignored the warning signs here and kept flogging the car after the turbo started to go! This kind of damage doesn't happen in a couple of seconds - probably it was many minutes, with really bad noises from the engine compartment and black smoke pouring out the tailpipe. If he had shut it down as soon as he saw smoke (when the seals failed) he might have saved the engine.

Here is the discussion - I didn't post a link because they don't really say much worth reading. ... I think this might be your problem, turbo out of my brothers poorly maintained Forester XT : Justrolledintotheshop

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
I occasionally flew turbo charged aircraft. One of the shut down procedures was to allow the engine to idle for a minute or two before pulling the mixture.
This allowed the turbo rpm to slow and cool down with positive oil pressure. Once the engine is shutoff, oil pressure stops yet the turbo is still spinning. This supposedly helps prolong the life of the turbocharger bearings.
Does anyone with a XT (or GT)let it idle a bit before shut down?
Would some sort of pressure oiler be helpful to continue to feed the turbo with oil after the engine is shut off?

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,432 Posts
Does anyone with a XT (or GT)let it idle a bit before shut down?
Would some sort of pressure oiler be helpful to continue to feed the turbo with oil after the engine is shut off?
The turbos in our cars are pretty small, and de-spool pretty quickly after last use. I don't have a turbo-timer or anything, but I often let it idle briefly before shutdown.

One of the differences in the XT setup is the radiator cap- it is not on the radiator, but rather on a small reservoir over the right side of the engine. Coolant can continue to circulate from this reservoir, through the turbo bearing block and back again after engine shutdown. This is apparently an anti-coking system to prevent oil from burning and leaving solids in the turbo.

I think Subaru decided that coking was a bigger problem than starvation, since they could have easily built in a timer instead of adding all the extra plumbing to the cooling system.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Vitaliy: I thought John E Davies put up that picture for our entertainment ... and it's not really his turbo. Kind of doubt that folks blogging here would let their turbos deteriorate to such extend....we all know better, right?

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Hmm, I don't see the problem. :p You should have included the other pic, the one with half the teeth gone. That tells it didn't just fail, it shredded.

How many miles on that?

·
Registered
75 Posts
oops.. sorry. I thought it's his turbo.. sorry.
Looks like a melted catalytic converter. Looks like was in inferno.
...as misfiring.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts