Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations for a detailer product that will not harm the clear coat on my new Outback, thank you.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Looking for recommendations for a detailer product that will not harm the clear coat on my new Outback, thank you.
If you don't mind mixing your own, I recommend Optimum No-Rinse. It's a super versatile and well-regarded detailing product. I use that for frequent wipe-downs or as a rinseless wash when the car is moderately dirty (not muddy!)

If you want to buy stuff in a spray bottle pre-mixed, I've been using Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic 3-in-1 Detailer.

Both of the above products are safe for cladding/rubber/plastics etc.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT, w/ PP2+
185 Posts
CarPro cQuartz original (not UK) ceramic coating. Put four coats (over two days) on the Tesla M3, and two coats on the 2020 Outback XT Limited. Every other wash, I spritz them with "BeadMaker" detailing spray - to add extra "slickness". Love the setup. No clearcoat issues, whatsoever. In fact, the cQuartz adds a microscopic glass layer on top of the soft clearcoat. :whistle: (y):D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Any modern quick detailer will not damage the finish. Finish damage is usually caused by not making to sure to use a clean microfiber towel which creates scratches in the clear coat. I usual turtle wax ICE on all my vehicles and not one issue. Works great, lasts relatively long. The Ceramic coatings are awesome but to do them properly, they need a good auto detailer to do the prep of the paint before hand. If they do, you get a excellent finish for years to come.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited (Magnetite Gray Metallic)
441 Posts
CarPro cQuartz original (not UK) ceramic coating. Put four coats (over two days) on the Tesla M3, and two coats on the 2020 Outback XT Limited. Every other wash, I spritz them with "BeadMaker" detailing spray - to add extra "slickness". Love the setup. No clearcoat issues, whatsoever. In fact, the cQuartz adds a microscopic glass layer on top of the soft clearcoat. :whistle: (y):D
Bought a bottle of Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray Coating. Will try it on my uncle's Outback tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Bought a bottle of Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray Coating. Will try it on my uncle's Outback tomorrow.
That's what I use as my main protection. Turtle Wax has come a long way. Liked it so much that I bought their entire Hybrid Ceramic range except the polishing wax. Still use ONR as my main rinseless cleaner and interior detailer.

·
Registered
441 Posts
That's what I use as my main protection. Turtle Wax has come a long way. Liked it so much that I bought their entire Hybrid Ceramic range except the polishing wax. Still use ONR as my main rinseless cleaner and interior detailer.
I tried the Turtle Wax ICE Seal N Shine with my own car after watching youtubers raving about it. Loved the slickness(my TW bottle actually slid off the roof of my car while I was finishing the other half ?) and durability for the price. The newer ceramic spray formula I heard is a further improvement of Seal N Shine (Looks like it from the Model 3 youtube video above).

We're getting really warm weather this weekend. I told my Uncle to give me the Outback so I can put on some TW ceramic spray to get it through the Winter. Going to pressure wash it and apply the ceramic coating spray only since he needs the Outback within an hour for work. Normally I would clay bar & ironX a brand new vehicle but the Outback is too big to do everything within an hour.

For my own car, I use...
  • Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer for interior
  • Meguiar's Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner for glass
  • 303 Aerospace Protectant for interior & exterior plastic UV protection, tire shine, headlight/tailight lenses
  • Turtle Wax Seal N Shine or Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax for exterior paint/glass/wheel protection Going to replace with Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray Coating once I use up my leftover supply
  • Eagle One for alloy wheel cleaning
  • Meguiar's 3 in 1 wax for polishing to remove swirls, water spots, and light scratch marks without cutting too deep into the clear coat.
  • IronX to remove rail dust embedded in the paint

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
We're getting really warm weather this weekend. I told my Uncle to give me the Outback so I can put on some TW ceramic spray to get it through the Winter. Going to pressure wash it and apply the ceramic coating spray only since he needs the Outback within an hour for work. Normally I would clay bar & ironX a brand new vehicle but the Outback is too big to do everything within an hour.
You're such an awesome nephew. I have to say it again. You're treating their car as if it were your own, or even better. You're not even using old product on their car while you use the new stuff on yours.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You're such an awesome nephew. I have to say it again. You're treating their car as if it were your own, or even better. You're not even using old product on their car while you use the new stuff on yours.
My aunt & uncle returns the favor in other ways. :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Just finished applying the TW ceramic spray on the Outback and handed it back to my Uncle. I'm going to do the same to my car later today after seeing how well the water beads plus the stuff smells great. I'm surprised I still have majority of the bottle left after applying it to the Outback. Used up only the amount shown in the red box below.

Screenshot_2020-01-11 Amazon com Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating-16 Fl...png

Took me 1.5-2 hours to wash and apply the ceramic spray which was longer than the 1 hour I estimated. I would've taken a picture of my work if I wasn't rushing to drive the car back to him. On the bright side, I did get to drive the Outback for 30 minutes. The Outback soaks up the bumps on the road so well and definitely has more sound insulation than my Honda Insight. The engine S/S didn't seem annoying to me except when parking. Keep in mind I only did a quick 30 minute drive so I might've a different opinion if it was my daily driver.

The only criticism I have is the steering wheel but it could just be personal preference. My Honda has what feels like a larger steering wheel or maybe it's just thicker which I like better. I also wish the Outback had regen braking(prevents brake pad wear) similar to my Insight but the Outback would need to be a hybrid/EV to get that capability.

P.S. I got a complement on the Outback from a military vet as I was drying the car. He said "I love that color on your car". Gave him the thumbs up, a smile, and thanks without letting him know it's not my car. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts