Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Premium
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched, but did not find any relevant posts. Just a quick question, I plan on detailing my engine bay as it hasn't been cleaned since I bought my 2018 Outback two years ago. I park outside so it definitely needs it. I'm going to disconnect the batter and remove it, any major issues having the battery out for a few hours? I know the computer will have to relearn a few things when I reconnect it, but any significant issues I should be aware of? FYI, no eyesight on my car if that makes a difference.

Thanks again for your patience with this pretty basic question.

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
347 Posts
I suspect the answer will be minimal issues. Consider how long a battery is disconnected during recall work on our 2018 for headunit issues(think I lost presets during distance to empty though that repair was less than 20 minutes).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
347 Posts
@Schroeder thank you for answering, just wanted to make sure I didn’t mess anything up.
Full transparency, I am not a mechanic or authority. I am responding based on assumption from past experience. The best option may be to call a Subaru dealership in the AM and ask for a service writer to bounce the idea. Several people here have talked about disconnecting their battery during periods of storage etc. Your scenario is shorter than that as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,681 Posts
I would simply avoid any issues altogether by leaving the battery in place. If you want to clean around the area of the battery, remove the hold down hardware (and be very careful of course around the positive post), and wedge a 2x4 underneath it to raise it for a bit of clearance. At times that's how I've change spark plug #2; this gives much more clearance to swing a wider arc on the ratchet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts