Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who thinks Subaru will implement DI on the FB 2.5 for 15. I think at some point due to CAFE regulations this is a must, also how much power and FE will the engine gain? I'm guessing a 10 to 15 more HP and TQ with a FE at 26/32?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I sense that they've only held off because of their unique engineering problem. A horizontally opposed engine stuffed between the frame rails in the front of the car means the cylinder heads must be very compact. So whatever fuel injection hardware they use needs to fit in less space without being so weird it breaks the bank.

If they can do it using the same components as a mass-market Nissan or Hyundai, the costs will be low. If they have to talk an injector manufacturer into making a whole new design that nobody else uses, then the price of DI goes way up.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
Not knocking the question at all but -

Why does it matter?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,074 Posts
Fuel efficiency

Not knocking the question at all but -

Why does it matter?
It matters greatly I think. DI means more Power and/or efficiency...so there can tweaking for economy models and more power out of smaller displacement for performance models.

Manufactures are doing it for a reason, same as the CVT. Subi has never been ahead of the curve of MPG. Although, right now with the 2.5CVT and the new 2.0CVT combo are actually at the top. DI would be a leap ahead.

:2cents:

·
Registered
232 Posts
I sense that they've only held off because of their unique engineering problem. A horizontally opposed engine stuffed between the frame rails in the front of the car means the cylinder heads must be very compact. So whatever fuel injection hardware they use needs to fit in less space without being so weird it breaks the bank.

If they can do it using the same components as a mass-market Nissan or Hyundai, the costs will be low. If they have to talk an injector manufacturer into making a whole new design that nobody else uses, then the price of DI goes way up.
Hi,

If Subaru could implement DI in the turbo 2.0, they probably could in the 2.5 as well. I'm assuming the 2.5 has a longer stroke so your observation may be right on target. Anyone know the dimensional difference between the two engines?

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
...how much power and FE will the engine gain?
DI should increase torque to the mid-high 70's lb-ft per liter
(about a 10% +/- improvement over the FB25). Horsepower
increase will be about the same % -- IF peak rpm is similar.

Harder to predict FE. Too many variables. They could use
the higher specific output to boost performance ...OR to
reduce displacement ...OR something in between.

The 2014 Honda Accord and Mazda6 4-bangers are probably
fairly typical examples of what you might expect. Compared
to Legacy 2.5i: 7% more power, 2-3 more mpg (EPA comb).

Looby

1 - 7 of 7 Posts