Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just wanted to rave about Diablo Subaru in Walnut Creek, CA. My first attempt for purchasing a 2013 2.5 Outback w/Eyesight was through the Costco Auto Program. I filled out the form and heard back quickly from a participating dealer. The quote I got was worse than most of the prices that I saw posted on this website :(

I next visited two dealerships and didn't get too far or better than the Costco deal. After reading hours and hours of postings here I stumbled onto a post about Geno Genrikh at Diablo Subaru. On a whim, I emailed him and he was very prompt and gave me a great price, even though the color I wanted was at another dealership that was three hours away. There must of been over 20 emails over the course course of a week and a half and he was always patient with my questions and concerns.

By the time I put down a deposit, the car got sold. Long story short, Geno, responded to all my emails even on his days off and when it was time for me to pick up the car, on a Monday (his day off) he made it a point to come in and finish up the paperwork and the walk through of the car!

-kelly

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I've been to them a few times never bought a car from them though. They have seemed pretty fair for all the other stuff.

Keep in mind ALL CA DEALERS can easily BEAT the Costco purchase pricing program. If they feel like it.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
401 Posts
I price shopped them as they are the nearest dealer to me. All I got was a "we can't touch that price" and don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I price shopped them as they are the nearest dealer to me. All I got was a "we can't touch that price" and don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out.
Another dealer that was closer to me, I had a bad experience. I told the sales guy that I wanted to feel the difference between the 2.5 and 3.6 and he said okay. As we left the driveway said, that I could only go around the block...(no freeway no hills no nothing)

After testing both cars and got back to the office, I gave him my list of gotta have items and then another with nice to have list. He told me they don't have that car and then gave me a price that was higher than MSRP! We walked out as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
I agree the Costco program is useless if you want to save money.
Depends on how you use it.

I recommend everyone use the Costco program, to use it to get your first quote and use that quote to get a dealer to beat it. Using Costco is great in that you start negotiations at invoice and can drive it down from there.

If you see it only as "I want to go to one dealer and get the best price when I walk in..." well then yea... it's not good for that.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think that because Diablo Subaru is located in an affluent community, they probably have enough suckers with money come in that will pay the full Moroni...So why should they deal?
I ended up buying at Stevens Creek Subaru in San Jose (an hour from my home), and I paid $1400 back of invoice.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Stevens Creek has been up and down over the years. Currently they seem to be focused on the Volume numbers vs the nailing every car for the most possible profit they can squeeze out of the buyer.

Dealers seem to switch things up every so often. The dealer I bought two cars at has dramatically changed from a little ma and pa type joint to the fleece the customer for every possible money making opportunity all over about a two year period.

Also keep in mind CA dealers many are owned by massive Auto Groups which by design buy up specific brands in a given region in some cases like toyota they own nearly every Toyota dealer in a 400+ mile area and they do set the price the cars sell for. They dance dangerously close to price fixing. Before you buy a new or USED car from any dealer research the dealer and find out if they belong to a massive Auto Group. If they do and the dealer sits smack in the middle of the region they own your not going to get a good deal regardless of how hard you try.

One of the largest Autogroups in CA is based in LA and owns nearly every Toyota dealer in and around the Bay Area. I even had one sales manager say flat out the price we list on the car is non negotiable your welcome to drive 600 miles to find a better deal. Reading between the lines "They control the price on that vehicle in the region given every dealer is owned by the same parent company" To justify his asking price he had identical vehicles listed by sister dealerships all for the same price. Yep you guessed it price fixing. I bought a lower mileage 3 year newer vehicle for $4000 less than what he and his sister dealers were asking for their older higher mileage vehicles.

This is particularly bad with used cars right now given the auto maker has some say on how much a dealer can mark up prices on a new car. But used cars are the wild west regarding what price they might ask.

Personally I would not purchase a new car from any Auto Group owned dealer period. And would never EVER! Buy a used car from a dealer.,..

·
Registered
'13 Outback Premium 6MT
110 Posts
Gino at Diablo Subaru is offering some great deals these days on new OBW's. Get on his email list by requesting a quote and he will periodically update you with sale prices. I just got one for $3500 off MSRP for in stock Premium Outbacks. He can also facilitate out of state purchases with a minimum of hassle.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback
86 Posts
I checked with many bay area Subaru dealers too, I ended up with Stevens Creek Subaru, they gave me the best deal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I won't recommend to buy from diablo Subaru they suck...

from their sales staffs to manager completely sucks....I hate to go there and I am not recommending any of my friends either.............

I think they don't even care customers....hvn't seen any dealer like that in my life....

has all the bad reviews in yelp wish I had checked it before I visited there....

·
Registered
401 Posts
Took my '12 OB in to Diablo Subaru because I had a low pressure oil sensor that was leaking and I wanted to have it taken care of before the warranty ran out. I also had some wear showing on the upholstery on bolster of the driver's seat. I was planning on having a hassle about the seat, but the service writer just wrote it all down and called me later that day after confirming the sensor leak. They had to order the parts. When they called me later that week and told me the parts were in, I scheduled a Saturday appointment. I dropped the car off and they asked if I needed a ride home, which I replied in the affirmative. The service writer said he would call me when it was ready and send someone to pick me up. The sensor had been replaced along with the complete driver's seat back, along with a free multi point inspection. I was impressed with the friendliness and great customer service and attitude. Never thought I would find myself writing a positive review for a dealership service department, but there you have it. I might also add that the dealership had been somewhat recently purchased by Lithia Group, which owns a ton of dealerships here on the west coast. Seems like a change for the better.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Outback Limited
46 Posts
My experience with Diablo Subaru has been much less than satisfactory regarding the service department. A few months after buying a new 2014 Outback from them, I brought the car in to address a brake caliper rattle in the left front. The service intake guy drove with me and confirmed the noise. It took four trips to the dealer to get it corrected. The fix as I suggested to them initially was to add more grease to the caliper pins, but it took them four visits to do this simple fix correctly (after ordering parts from Subaru which weren't necessary).

Recently, they failed to fix a problem I have with the AC. When I first turn on the AC, I hear a low frequency moaning noise that is present at about 1200 rpm. Above or below that, the noise goes away. I told them that I'm pretty sure the sound is coming from the AC compressor when I stick my head under the hood to listen. When I picked the car up, they told me they'd replaced the serpentine belt per a service bulletin from Subaru and that this fixed the problem. It didn't; the noise is still there. When I read the service bulletin, it described a completely different noise, so I wasn't surprised that the belt replacement didn't work.

I have absolutely no confidence in this dealer's service department and I won't be going back for future service. I'm really happy I declined to purchase their up-front service contract when I bought the car even though the finance manager really pushed it.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
From a service point of view Diablo tends to be fair and has been this way for as long as I can recall. Their sales dept has had its up and downs though regarding reputation my guess is that both salescand service quality are greatly impacted by the people that come and go that work there.

Generally speaking I doubt I would ever buy a car there Ive experienced there sales team in 2001, 2009 and 2011. Every time I walked away and ended up going some place else. However I have taken cars to there service dept and they always did what I asked and never pushed the dealer created max profit mileage based service packages. A service dept that isnt driven by mileage based packages is a rare very rare thing today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts