Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I need help diagnosing a front suspension noise in my 2017 Outback 2.5i Premium with 5000 miles on it. It's a relatively loud creak or almost crunch sound as the suspension is deeply compressed going over large bumps.

Parking lot speed bumps, steep rain gutter driveway entrances, and some really big freeway dips cause the noise to occur. It doesn't seem to occur when the suspension drops or the wheel falls into a pothole, only when it compresses.

I've had it at the dealer twice and they've had trouble figuring it out. They just replaced the front left strut and mount and aligned the car, but the noise is still there.

I've washed up in the wheel well area twice over the last month with a hand wand car wash, hoping to dislodge anything that might be causing the noise.

It's been cold in Minnesota, but the noise has persisted even when it's been up into the 40s a few weeks ago.

Any guesses? Need more info?

Here are three videos of it happening on different days, the third one is after the strut was replaced:

youtube.com/watch?v=QF0nGmvqlv4

youtube.com/watch?v=xEl3ZkVM5rQ

youtube.com/watch?v=m8VbLOBoOPE

(Copy and paste links to watch, I need more posts before I can post hyperlinks)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any ideas out there? I have an appt. in two days to see if they can figure it out. Thinking suspension arm bushings, steering rods, what else?

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
I would look at sway bar links, they commonly cause squeaky noises and clunks over larger bumps if they're a bit loose.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,832 Posts
can you make the noise bouncing a front corner of the car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion on the sway bar links, I'll mention that.

I can't make the noise happen by bouncing the front end but I think it is because I can't apply enough force to compress it to the point where the noise happens. Small bumps don't create the noise while driving, only big bump that compress it pretty far (almost to the limit)

I suggested lowering the car from the hoist kind of quickly as a way for the dealer to make it happen, but I don't think they did that.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,832 Posts
if possible, find some spot near the dealership that exhibits the problem and take the service writer or tech for a demo ride.

there are products like 'chassis ears' that can help pinpoint the area a noise originates;

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback H6 VDC
6 Posts
Very hard to pinpoint but sounds bushing related if not struts.

Such a new car though it shouldn't creek like that. Be sure to show those videos to your dealership.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts