Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome to Omaha Nebraska! Your dial up speed is 24K.

Dial up sucks!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Mericet said:

Dial up sucks!
I agree totally, the annoying thing is I can't even get ANY type of broadband apart from Satellite (which costs an arm and a leg here) due to the local Telco using the modern version of party lines (without telling anyone they are of course) which also slows down dialup. Oh well, at least I usually get 28.8K, sometimes even 31.2.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I normally am on DSL. So this is testing my patience.:)

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Mericet said:

Dial up sucks!
Curious to know where you are using a computer in Omaha? Your hotel, work, friend's house? I don't think I know anyone in Omaha let alone anywhere that even uses dial up anymore. Its a relic of the 90's if anything.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Mericet, dial up? Wow, that does suck. I have Cox high speed here at home and it is quick. Welcome to ****, I mean Omaha!
Oh, and let us know about Thursday. Brian

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, Hero Boots, such is life when you travel and use dial up from your hotel room.

Brian, I will give you a call tomorrow about Thursday. Should be a go, will need to confirm the last details before I call you.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Very well then, call anytime before 2pm(CST that is):D It would be nice to send you off to Topeka with a full belly of Omaha food! Brian

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I am back in Ohio with a nice fast high speed DSL connection. It was great meeting both Brian and Kevin. I left Topeka Kansas yesterday at 1:15 pm (EDT) and arrived at home this morning at 1:15 am (EDT)

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
fast enough for me

I still have dialup and its plenty fast only seconds . Perhaps your computers processor and or operating system is slow. I do know some areas have really crappy hookups and at ridiculus prices. I only pay $9.95 month vs$ 23.00 plus for some other setups. I suppose if you have a business hi speed is great .but really do need to have it for home use. How many seconds are you saving? it's absurd to me . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Holy post resurrection Batman!!!

My dialup access is part of my DSL service. And at 56K surfing is OK. It sucks with pictures though.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I would love to get 56K, max I can get over my phone line is 31.2K (issues with the Telco & line sharing technology), compared with 100Mbit at work it's unbearable. I guess I shouldn't complain though, first modem I had could only go 14.4K and usually only got 9.6K connections LOL

·
Registered
333 Posts
Re: fast enough for me

scooby said:
How many seconds are you saving?
Quite a lot, depending on what you're doing.

I was helping my parents with their PC recently. Needed to grab a 1.8 meg program- what takes 15 seconds at my place took about 12 minutes there. Needed to perform some Windows updates- there's another 20 minutes to d/l compared to maybe 1 minute at home.

I do a lot of work from my home, so I can justify having the fast connection. But I agree, I wouldn't have it if all I did was play on the Web, I'd stick with the free dialup my employer provides.

I know too many folks with the costly fast connection & the most demanding thing they do is download MP3's from Russia or play "wide area" Nintendo, lol :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
MrEd
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing