Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 OB, ugly, low kms, rust free
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster, figured I would try to contribute to the body of knowledge - recently completed a front seat swap on my 99 OB, putting a pair of junk yard Limited leather seats in. The seats were pulled, sat around for months until I reconditioned the leather and cleaned/lubed/de-rusted/painted the mounting points.

Learnings:

• Of the two seat retaining nuts that mount on the drive shaft tunnel the lower bolt (either side) is retained not by a machined and welded tab, rather is it retained by a 17mm nut that has been tack welded in 3 places. This nut and the stub end of the bolt get to hang out in the elements and rust the eff up.
  • These welds break easily (esp at -4 C): I broke the welds on both sides and spent an hour drilling the bolts (didn't want to use a cutoff wheel and throw sparks). The hour does not include the time spent going the Cdn Tire to buy some better drill bits.

• When the seats are out, good time clean/lube the fuel door release and collect the mad $$$ lurking under the seats.

• Keep all of the "good bolts" from the junk yard seats, you know the two leading edge bolts on both seats will be rusted to shite.
  • Subaru seems to have used at least two different types of seat belt latches. CHECK THIS BEFORE you install the seats. Lest you get in the car and the belts don't fit/won't latch. (see P/N on pictures)

• Hanging out in the back seat with a 5/8ths box wrench trying to undo the latches in the car, in a snow storm, at 1/6th of a turn per attempt, takes 25 minutes, and sucks. You will drop the nuts. You will put one of the latches on backwards. You won't care that it is backwards. You will just cut the latch wire rather than remove it properly.
My $0.61 (mad $$$ found) on this topic.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Were your orriginal seats heated or did you have to wire that up? Reason I ask is I have a pair of near new heated seats to instal once I figure out what seat rails I need. Not sure if I want to spend the time wiring up the heat feature.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon
311 Posts
I was just looking for a thread like this the other day. I second the question on the heated seats. Those leather seats should have the heated parts inside but did your car have the wiring for them?

·
Registered
1999 OB, ugly, low kms, rust free
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

My cloth seats were heated - All Weather Package! - so it was plug and play.

No idea if the connectors are there if not taken. IIRC the cars101 write up on OBs stated that if no AWP then the dash could have had extra 12V sockets as an option. (Everything Subaru Outback Archives 1998-1999: options, prices, history.)

I would hazard a guess that the fuses/wiring are directed to the extra sockets rather than the seats. If you pull junk yard seats it would be worth it to rip up the carpet and get the connectors/figure out where the run to.

I believe, without looking/grabbing the Haynes, that each seat heater has its own 20A circuit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts