Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
I did on my 03 H6, they looked like they could have gone to 80K .

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
449 Posts
Running just fine at 70K+ on our 3.6 Legacy but most of that was blasting down the Interstate.

·
Registered
438 Posts
These factory spark plugs are half iridium, the ground electrode is still a platinum tip.

There is a blurb from Ngk where they state that 80-100k is their expected lifetime for the platinum/iridium hybrid plug. Subaru rated these a little more conservatively at 60k miles.

https://www.ngk.com/learning-center/article/202/how-long-do-iridium-plugs-last

There are double iridium plugs available that should last longer if your engine continues to run well otherwise - an ngk engineer told me that these plugs will outlast most engines, laughing at the change interval the OE's have suggested. I think Toyota has rated their factory installed double iridium plugs at 120k miles.

·
Registered
17 Outback Touring 3.6R blue 18 Chevy Silverado High Country and a 11 Dodge Challenger SRT 8
322 Posts
Did anyone notice any better fuel mileage or performance difference with the change of them?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,204 Posts
when I read posts like this it reminds me how people are just reluctant to maintain their cars. like are they asking for permission to run "their car" until its actually misfiring.

and why I change all fluids and spark plug, thermostats, rad cap, pcv, when I get a used car.

can't wait until subaru makes a full electric plug in. (no gas engine to avoid taking care of).

·
Registered
05 Outback, 15 WRX
46 Posts
Should I not say I've changed all of my subaru plugs around 30k? Ya I don't wait for misfires.

·
Registered
17 Outback Touring 3.6R blue 18 Chevy Silverado High Country and a 11 Dodge Challenger SRT 8
322 Posts
I follow Subaru's recommendations not the dealers. I am curious if the fuel mileage goes up with the change since the car still runs great.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,399 Posts
Did mine (dealer) a week or two ago.

It was a required maintenance item. Why do you ask?

Yeah, I know, i have a '13 and this is the Gen 5 neighborhood.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,114 Posts
FWIW, my old Infiniti had NGK Iridiums from the factory and they were due for change at 100K per manual.
Don't think I'd bother until then.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,204 Posts
FWIW, my old Infiniti had NGK Iridiums from the factory and they were due for change at 100K per manual.
Don't think I'd bother until then.
do you have a different schedule,...measuring in months? ??? (just wondering).

2015 Outback specs, options, colors, prices, photos, and more
30,000 mile replace engine air filters, brake fluid, and gear fluid as needed, oil and filter change, rotate tires
36,000 miles/36 mos oil and filter change, rotate tires, cabin air filter
42,000 miles/42 mos oil and filter change, rotate tires, cabin air filter
48,000 miles/48 mos oil and filter change, rotate tires, cabin air filter
60,000 miles/60 mos repeat 30,000 service, replace spark plugs/wires
90,000 miles/90 mos service with complete fluid, filter change. Inspect all hoses, belts
120,000 miles/120 mos repeat 30,000 service, replace spark plugs
137,500 miles replace Super Coolant Radiator Fluid. The 1st replacement is 11 years, 137,500 miles, or 220,000Km. The 2nd replacement is 6yrs, 75,000 miles

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,114 Posts
do you have a different schedule,...measuring in months? ??? (just wondering).
No, just won't do it unless I feel it's indicated. I will likely survive.

Reactions: dat2109

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,204 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6r
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The car just hit 60K yesterday. I'll likely be paying the dealer or other mechanic to do it. I had an unexpected financial drain this month, and was hoping to wait 5-10k more miles bf changing them.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,204 Posts
when I read posts like this it reminds me how people are just reluctant to maintain their cars. like are they asking for permission to run "their car" until its actually misfiring.

and why I change all fluids and spark plugs, thermostats, rad cap, pcv, when I get a used car.

can't wait until subaru makes a full electric plug in. (no gas engine to avoid taking care of).
Eh, my engine is still full of oil, why would I need to take that out and put new stuff in? Seems like a waste.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,204 Posts
The car just hit 60K yesterday. I'll likely be paying the dealer or other mechanic to do it. I had an unexpected financial drain this month, and was hoping to wait 5-10k more miles bf changing them.
subaru H6 EZ engines are pretty tough:cool: , and not so temperamental like traditional subaru turbos,:16:

...sorry for your misfortune.

keep up on oil changes. / engine air filter.

the rest on the list. get em done when you can.:smile2:

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,059 Posts
Eh, my engine is still full of oil, why would I need to take that out and put new stuff in? Seems like a waste.
Because a worn sparkplug simply runs bad, consumes more fuel, but does no harm. Bad oil does harm.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts