Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 2016 Outback 2.5i Premium it came with a blue oil filter. When I went to the dealer for an oil change they put a different (black) oil filter in with part # 15208AA130. I searched that part number online and everywhere I searched it says that part # does not fit my Outback. I also called the dealer's Parts department and they also said that part # is not the correct oil filter for my Outback. Finally, I contacted the service manager and he assured me that oil filter is the correct one. I would like to see if anyone of you guys and gals have that filter in your Outback? Trying to get to the bottom of this.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,846 Posts
so to help others along that part # 15208AA130 is listed as being for 2011-13 FB25B forester.
and 2013-16 2.0 BRZ

off hand i would think they inside the shop are using some old stock up, and its no big deal, and such things happen all the time.

casing color is roki black, or subaru blue. (both made by tokyo roki). edit: blue ones made for subaru by fram?

is the casing any taller,? (taller is typically better,...more media to grab the particulate ).

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,243 Posts
The best of my knowledge it the not problem since the black is made in Japan and the blue ones are made here (Fram) unless they are Roki(Japan).iirc there was a big debate years back on the Forester Forum which was better and it just became he said, she said.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,911 Posts
Blue or black is fine. Blue is made by Fram to Subie specs. Black is from Japan as mentioned.

Sleep well. You have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,422 Posts
As long as it doesn't leak.

Reactions: miker104

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
Hard to tell you have the right oil filter, especially as much startup rattle as what you get on the Subaru boxer engines.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
If a radial engine (old airplanes) isn't leaking oil what's the problem? The oil tank is empty!

Subaru engines do tend to leak oil as they age. Nothing some maintenance can't cure though.

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
When I bought my 2016 Outback 2.5i Premium it came with a blue oil filter. When I went to the dealer for an oil change they put a different (black) oil filter in with part # 15208AA130. I searched that part number online and everywhere I searched it says that part # does not fit my Outback. I also called the dealer's Parts department and they also said that part # is not the correct oil filter for my Outback. Finally, I contacted the service manager and he assured me that oil filter is the correct one. I would like to see if anyone of you guys and gals have that filter in your Outback? Trying to get to the bottom of this.
I guess you will start changing your own oil again???

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,121 Posts
For some reason or another Subaru does not specify the 15208AA130 for 2016 Outback 2.5i. You paid premium price to dealer for service, you are owed the correct part, not something that will probably work.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,412 Posts
For some reason or another Subaru does not specify the 15208AA130 for 2016 Outback 2.5i. You paid premium price to dealer for service, you are owed the correct part, not something that will probably work.
I would demand a new car. Who knows what damage has been done to that poor engine?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring / 2019 Tesla M3
626 Posts
Is everyone sure the black oil filter is not the filter for the 3.6R? Do they have the same by-pass pressures?

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
Really doesn't matter.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To clarify, the service manager told me the difference between the black filter (15208AA130) and the blue filter (15208AA15A) is that the black filter holds 1.1 ounces more oil than the blue filter. The service manager also said since he's had this question come up in the past, he had contacted Subaru about this issue and spoke with "Service Field Engineers" and they supposedly verified that either filter can be used. Also, he told me "most cars" (I assume he was referring to Outbacks?) come from the factory with a black filter that looks like 15208AA130 but has a part number 15208AA160.

I still cannot help but worry about this, because everywhere I search I cannot find confirmation that the black filter is okay for my vehicle. The black filter fits fine and nothing is leaking, but to be on the safe side I'll use the blue filter from now on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is everyone sure the black oil filter is not the filter for the 3.6R? Do they have the same by-pass pressures?
I contacted another Subaru Parts store online and asked them if 15208AA130 would fit my Outback. Their response was that 15208AA031 is for the 6 cylinder engines and 15208AA130 is for the 2011 and 2012 Forester. :help:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so to help others along that part # 15208AA130 is listed as being for 2011-13 FB25B forester.
and 2013-16 2.0 BRZ

off hand i would think they inside the shop are using some old stock up, and its no big deal, and such things happen all the time.

casing color is roki black, or subaru blue. (both made by tokyo roki). edit: blue ones made for subaru by fram?

is the casing any taller,? (taller is typically better,...more media to grab the particulate ).
The black casing is shorter but fatter from what I can tell.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,537 Posts
... 15208AA130 is for the 2011 and 2012 Forester.
Externally, the FB25-series engine in the 2011-2012 Forester is the essentially same engine as the FB25 in your new Outback.

... he told me "most cars" (I assume he was referring to Outbacks?) come from the factory with a black filter ...
FWIW, every new 2.5 Legacy or Outback I've seen since MY 2015 (FB25 engine) has come from the factory with the blue ...15A filter. Color doesn't really matter, as long as the part number is correct for the engine. The 2.5 and 3.6 engines DO take different oil filters.

If you're still that worried, why not go ahead and squander $6 on a new blue 15A oil filter, install it yourself, and be done with it? Problem solved.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Externally, the FB25-series engine in the 2011-2012 Forester is the essentially same engine as the FB25 in your new Outback.

FWIW, every new 2.5 Legacy or Outback I've seen since MY 2015 (FB25 engine) has come from the factory with the blue ...15A filter. Color doesn't really matter, as long as the part number is correct for the engine. The 2.5 and 3.6 engines DO take different oil filters.

If you're still that worried, why not go ahead and squander $6 on a new blue 15A oil filter, install it yourself, and be done with it? Problem solved.
I will squander $6, no problem. The issue is I've had the black filter put into my Outback three times now. I hope there isn't any damage to the engine from driving with a black filter.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts