Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited, Nav+EyeSight
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving in the center lane of a three-lane highway. Adaptive cruise was set to 75, car in front of me was doing 70, so I was doing 70 as well. Tractor Trailer truck comes up behind me right to my rear bumper, flashing lights and honking the horn. I slow down a little (not quite a brake check). The truck changes to the right lane and passes, blaring the horn the entire time he passed.

I took down the plate number and called the company, but I'm more curious about WHY so much rage. I was in the middle lane doing more than the speed limit (and according to the person I talked to when I called to report him, more than the governor should allow their trucks to go). I was going a fairly constant 70mph, or so I thought.

All I can come up with is that maybe the adaptive cruise control was tapping the brakes to maintain speed, and that was causing the driver behind me to wig out? I know I'd go a little crazy if the car in front of me kept hitting the brakes for no reason. Anybody ever seen this before? I'm thinking about installing an LED on the dash to let me know when the brake lights are on just so that I'm aware of it.

(as an unrelated side note, on the same trip, the EyeSight may have saved me from rear-ending somebody that decided to stop at the end of an on ramp instead of merging. I was looking for my spot to merge and saw no reason to slow down since the lane was mostly empty. I guess the guy in front of me had a different opinion!)

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
You were driving on a holiday weekend and wondering why you experienced road rage? Your kidding right?

I did SF to LA on Wed afternoon along with several thousand other people on a two lane I5 for nearly 300 miles of nothing but stop and go traffic on a road with a posted limit of 70mph which is almost never obeyed. On the way down we had several SUV's and trucks and a few small cars tailgating and end up in the center median crumpled up when traffic slowed to a stop and they didn't. On the way home we had a guy in a BMW honking at people - passing on the shoulder of the road I actually saw him three times by simply staying in the slow lane and creeping along LOL. After him nearly hitting us the second time we reported him. 30 miles down the road he was standing handcuffed on the side of the road with a very nice CHP officer doing his part in making the roads safe. Didn't see a single wreck on the way home and the traffic was even worse than it was going on Wed. It's nice when people chill and drive safe knowing they aren't getting home any faster driving like an complete ASS.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
In NJ we have a keep right except to pass law and also no trucks in left lane on a 3 lane highway. That trucker would do that here because he wanted you to move over, EyeSight or not.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium 6MT
67 Posts
In NJ we have a keep right except to pass law and also no trucks in left lane on a 3 lane highway. That trucker would do that here because he wanted you to move over, EyeSight or not.
Having driven a fair amount in Europe as well as the U.S., I am amazed at how often people in the U.S. insist on driving in the left or center lane, even when they are clearly impeding faster-moving traffic. Both the Driver's Ed. course I took in the early 80's, as well as my parents, impressed on me the basic courtesy, regardless of the law, of staying to the right.

And, because I live in Brooklyn and do a fair amount of driving in New Jersey, I can confidently say that there is no way one could deduce the existence of that law through observation of actual drivers in the wild :)

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Having driven a fair amount in Europe as well as the U.S., I am amazed at how often people in the U.S. insist on driving in the left or center lane, even when they are clearly impeding faster-moving traffic. Both the Driver's Ed. course I took in the early 80's, as well as my parents, impressed on me the basic courtesy, regardless of the law, of staying to the right.

And, because I live in Brooklyn and do a fair amount of driving in New Jersey, I can confidently say that there is no way one could deduce the existence of that law through observation of actual drivers in the wild :)
In most high traffic locations I have yet to see any case where you can drive fast even in the fast lane. LOL

If traffic is light yes move your ass over to the right. If you think NJ is bad try Florida where truckers drive in the fast lane and blue haired old ladies drive 300hp Caddies in the middle lane at 45mph while 70mph traffic wizzes by on both sides.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
You were driving on a holiday weekend and wondering why you experienced road rage? Your kidding right?

I did SF to LA on Wed afternoon along with several thousand other people on a two lane I5 for nearly 300 miles of nothing but stop and go traffic on a road with a posted limit of 70mph which is almost never obeyed. On the way down we had several SUV's and trucks and a few small cars tailgating and end up in the center median crumpled up when traffic slowed to a stop and they didn't. On the way home we had a guy in a BMW honking at people - passing on the shoulder of the road I actually saw him three times by simply staying in the slow lane and creeping along LOL. After him nearly hitting us the second time we reported him. 30 miles down the road he was standing handcuffed on the side of the road with a very nice CHP officer doing his part in making the roads safe. Didn't see a single wreck on the way home and the traffic was even worse than it was going on Wed. It's nice when people chill and drive safe knowing they aren't getting home any faster driving like an complete ASS.
Love the story. On that stretch of highway if you just maintain a steady pace, you will encounter the same jackasses over an over again as they try to magically "outsmart" traffic. It's even better when you see them pulled over. Good work.

I love BMWs, but do not own one. I have several friends that do and I do not discuss the stereotypical driving habits with them as if the topic was on the same level as politics or religion. Around here, they are the most self-centered drivers. Turn signal usage with them is 50/50. It's the full size pickups and SUVs that apparently have broken blinkers. You certainly see a lot of patterns on the I-5.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts

Same here, people around here seem to think the middle lane is the slow lane. The right lane is the driving lane, all other lanes are passing lanes!

I would have been as mad as the above described trucker!

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Love the story. On that stretch of highway if you just maintain a steady pace, you will encounter the same jackasses over an over again as they try to magically "outsmart" traffic. It's even better when you see them pulled over. Good work.

I love BMWs, but do not own one. I have several friends that do and I do not discuss the stereotypical driving habits with them as if the topic was on the same level as politics or religion. Around here, they are the most self-centered drivers. Turn signal usage with them is 50/50. It's the full size pickups and SUVs that apparently have broken blinkers. You certainly see a lot of patterns on the I-5.
By the way not kidding when I write this. The guy was sporting gold wire framed Aviator sun glasses - expensive looking button up shirt and equally expensive looking shorts and shoes. Given we took a very close up picture of his license plate just after him nearly taking us out- his license frame was a Hollywood BMW dealer. HA HA

My wife cracked a joke said "Classic SoCal type thinking that Napa was just a short ride up I5" Some of her family never leave Socal unless its in a first class seat on a fast plane the concept of driving beyond the 405 traffic jam is not their thing. HA HA

The old days of cheap South West tickets from SFO to LA are long gone. Would have cost us nearly $1000 in tickets not counting the years of life shaved off dealing with two small kids at the air port. Instead it cost us about $100 in gas and a few hours together each way talking about why cows stink so bad ie Cattleman city slaughter house - why Dora speaks Spanish the 3yr old watching her DVD player. Or why her little brother always busts up laughing at her when she starts throwing a fit ha ha. Ahhhh family time in the car a classic American experience.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
265 Posts
Road rage is extremely common.

Eyesight is extremely uncommon.

I don't see any reason to speculate that one caused the other in this case.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
457 Posts

QFT

Lived in the Stuttgart/Freiburg area for quite some time and driving so much less stressful, even in larger cities. The best was hopping on the A5, cruising around 110mph-120mph and nearly everyone was methodical at all times regarding "go left to pass, accelerate while doing so to ensure that you get by, and move over as quickly as safely possible" thus allowing you to keep speed and others as well. As with anything, there were multiple exceptions but in general it's stay right unless you really need to pass. It was less fun paying $500 for a driver's license (thank god I could skip the $2,000 in the normally required driving course thanks to a Missouri arrangement), but given the generally higher level of situational awareness and rule observation, I didn't mind it one bit.

Come back here to Missouri and the general rule is drive in the left lane at all times and repeat "well I'm doing 5 over the speed limit, so by god you can go around me!" which just drives me ******* fruit. Oh well.

In any case, I suspect this was a "holiday driving scenario" and a lack of moving completely to the right. In many states, it's illegal for trucks to drive/pass in the left lane as well as the right lane, so it's imperative that you remain as far to the right as possible to allow them to pass on your left if needed (and everyone else for that matter). Maybe the guy was just a d*ck, a highly likely scenario :29:

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
LoL.
How many times have I seen that… Slowpoke in the left lane on the autobahn -> American driver.<O:p

·
Registered
18,735 Posts
All I can come up with is that maybe the adaptive cruise control was tapping the brakes to maintain speed, and that was causing the driver behind me to wig out? I know I'd go a little crazy if the car in front of me kept hitting the brakes for no reason.
Question 1: If and when Eyesight applies the brakes (as opposed to taking control of the throttle for speed control), does it also turn on the stop lights?

Question 2: And on the issue of three-lanes and "slower" drivers in the middle lane, what do the laws in your states say about merging into traffic. In some areas I travel, the law says the car entering the right lane from an entrance (on) ramp has to yield to traffic already in the right lane, but for the most part this is ignored. It's especially problematic when the merge lanes are too short, which is often the case. Cars, and trucks, will have their left turn signal flashing as soon as they approach the merge lane, and start drifting over into the right lane at almost the same time, regardless of traffic already in the right lane. I was once put into an awkward situation travelling south on I-95 in a southern state -- I was in the right lane in a line of cars, and boxed in on the left by faster traffic in the center lane, yet a slowly merging car kept coming sideways at me despite my warning, to the point where I had to take evasive action, risking being hit in the rear by following cars. Frankly, from then on I stayed in the middle lane, travelling with traffic at whatever speed it was going as did the OP here, thereby leaving the right lane to the new entrants who act as if they are entitled to that lane regardless of other cars already in the lane. I understand the "slower traffic keep right" rule; so what do your road rules say about merging?

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Question 1: If and when Eyesight applies the brakes (as opposed to taking control of the throttle for speed control), does it also turn on the stop lights?

Question 2: And on the issue of three-lanes and "slower" drivers in the middle lane, what do the laws in your states say about merging into traffic. In some areas I travel, the law says the car entering the right lane from an entrance (on) ramp has to yield to traffic already in the right lane, but for the most part this is ignored. It's especially problematic when the merge lanes are too short, which is often the case. Cars, and trucks, will have their left turn signal flashing as soon as they approach the merge lane, and start drifting over into the right lane at almost the same time, regardless of traffic already in the right lane. I was once put into an awkward situation travelling south on I-95 in a southern state -- I was in the right lane in a line of cars, and boxed in on the left by faster traffic in the center lane, yet a slowly merging car kept coming sideways at me despite my warning, to the point where I had to take evasive action, risking being hit in the rear by following cars. Frankly, from then on I stayed in the middle lane, travelling with traffic at whatever speed it was going as did the OP here, thereby leaving the right lane to the new entrants who act as if they are entitled to that lane regardless of other cars already in the lane. I understand the "slower traffic keep right" rule; so what do your road rules say about merging?
Plain your #2 comment is one of the very few rules of the road I do not agree with from a simple safety stand point. It is much easier for a car already in the lane to #1 see the car entering the road way in Most cases - and #2 slow some to allow them into the lane. Vs the merging car stopping short of the fast moving highway traffic - and then left due to large numbers of fast moving cars with no chance of safely getting on to the highway.

If you have ever driven a large heavy truck towing a heavy load - you don't give a flying F-k what the right lane drivers think they are either going to make room for you or start eating heavy metal. Because stopping means your NEVER GETTING on the highway short of a Highway Patrol doing a traffic break for you.

Better yet I can't understand why people think that staying in the right lane if they have no plans on exiting very soon is a good idea with lots of vehicles entering the highway. Talk about rolling the dice every time a car enters the highway and trying to "Stand your ground" in the right lane. LOL

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,865 Posts

...hmmm...after spending time all around Europe, I agree with the Europe thing but drivers there, especially Germany are much better...sorry...way better drivers overall than we plebs in North America. They have to be ...Autobahn @ 220kmh +. They know when to move over and know that slower traffic keeps to the right. But North American drivers are, overall, much more ignorant drivers too, which means that we don't tend to stick to the right if we are going slower than the cars around us due to a feeling of entitlement...entitlement to drive where ever, how ever we feel like...me included. Might as well paint myself with the same brusch. :D

When in Rome...

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
I don't believe that Eye Sight braking causes the brakes to come on. My BMW which has a cruise control that brakes automatically as well doesn't do this. Can anyone verify that the brake lights come on? I think I might test this out with a friend following me to see for myself.
Where I live in Florida the left lane is the slow lane, no kidding I make better time in the right lane.
I lived in Europe and drove my BMW there at speed all the time when possible which isn't as possible as many people think. In Europe you don't get the warning of traffic issues like repairs for miles on end. You pop over a hill doing 240kmh and see a lane closed you are standing on the brakes. That is normal and why most European countries require a lot more driving experience than slow speed maneuvering to simulate parallel parking and a few stop and goes.

This is a failling of our government to require a higher standard of driving. I seldom want more government but there are way too many people that can't drive for jack and got their license with no refresher ever.

I don't take offense to reference to "typical BMW" drivers because I don't live in Ca but remember there are a number of asses out there in all makes and models.

Realistically we are all facing years more of road repair from decades of not improving the roads which I think tries one's patience. Not a lot of road rage in North Dakota by the way....

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Same here, people around here seem to think the middle lane is the slow lane. The right lane is the driving lane, all other lanes are passing lanes!

I would have been as mad as the above described trucker!
Maybe it's a regional thing. That's not really the way things work in New England, typically. The leftmost lane is definitely for passing - if the person behind you wants to go faster, get out of their way! The right lane is for on and off-ramps. If you're the jerk driving in the right lane for 100 miles, you're just getting in the way of people trying to enter and exit the highway. The merge distances around here can be incredibly short, and the last thing anyone needs is another car in the way that isn't even trying to enter or exit. If I'm in it for the "long haul", I pick one of the middle lanes and I go the same speed as the car in front of me. Really, I try to always go the speed of the car in front of me. If you are behind me and want to go faster - too bad! I want to go faster, too, but the car in front of me isn't, so I can't either. If you want it bad enough to pass, feel free, otherwise sit tight and enjoy the ride. No reason for lights and horn, just pass quietly like an adult.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't believe that Eye Sight braking causes the brakes to come on.
Well that's terrifying. EyeSight can brake from full highway speed right down to a dead stop at the same rate as the other cars on the road. If it's doing that without brake lights that's downright DANGEROUS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
from your story, i dont see any reason he could have been upset at you, maybe the guy in front of you. i've traveled plenty between Dallas and Knoxville and have seen truckers fly by on the left way too many times to count so honking at you in the middle lane is retarded.

i prefer the middle lane as the left is for passing and the right is for exiting/entering the highway. I learned in drivers ed to stay in the right lane at all times but that doesnt seem always the safest lane. however, if i have to pass you because you're going too slow in the left lane and wont move over...be ready to see my middle finger as i pass by you since you're in the wrong. the funny thing is...those people get pissed.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
I could see the brake lights on from EyeSight last night.

I've had somebody behind me do a double take when it held a steady 40 on a steep downhill and the rest of the world near me was coating by faster. I posted about this also saying the rest of them were speeding to a concentrated traffic enforcement set up.

Adjusting the car length button can smooth the operation.

There are times EyeSight is not as smooth as I'd be and that's traffic where it might be best to have full control anyway. I'm glad I have it and find it worth far more than the appearance packages that were among the choices I had.

·
Registered
2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Graphite ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl - Could be a Black Bumper Masonite car ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's m
323 Posts
So far this thread has mentioned the idiot – Truck Driver – BMW (performance car) drivers – Left lane drivers – right lane drivers – silver haired drivers – just plain idiot drivers – lousy drivers – fast drivers – half fast drivers - Slow drivers – poor merging drivers ---- WHO DID WE MISS???<O:p</O:p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts