Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving in my wooded neighborhood on a two-way street today at about 30-35 mph. No other cars in view, so naturally a mature buck jumped out of the shaded woods just in time for me, as they often do.

Never saw the buck until he was right in front of me. I stopped quickly. As a result I more "bumped" him than hit him. He did fall over, but got up and trotted off. No damage at all to my 2018 Touring.

I know Eyesight is intended for cars and people rather than fast-moving deer, so I am not sure whether it was my quick action or the car's which saved the deer and the front of my car. Frankly, though, I think I would not have been able to stop fast enough if I had done it on my own. So, I think I like my Subie even better.

Yea Eyesight!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,194 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,200 Posts
Interesting. I just missed hitting a deer yesterday by less than about a foot and had an even closer miss a few weeks ago. I credited my masterful driving and lightning-quick response time to both misses and never even considered that the automatic braking might have been involved. Both happened so quickly that I have no idea if the car reacted to the deer or not. Unless my car can provide some convincing proof I am going to continue taking credit.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,194 Posts
Interesting. I just missed hitting a deer yesterday by less than about a foot and had an even closer miss a few weeks ago. I credited my masterful driving and lightning-quick response time to both misses and never even considered that the automatic braking might have been involved. Both happened so quickly that I have no idea if the car reacted to the deer or not. Unless my car can provide some convincing proof I am going to continue taking credit.
I will circular reference my question in post #2 of this same thread.

did you hear the "beep beep beep beep beep" of the eyesight autobrake working?

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,239 Posts
Eyesight in my deer encounter worked as designed when I turning into my street. So yes it probably saved the deer.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I will circular reference my question in post #2 of this same thread.

did you hear the "beep beep beep beep beep" of the eyesight autobrake working?
I don't believe either did but as I said it happened so fast I'm not sure I would have noticed. With the one yesterday the deer was standing still and facing directly away from me so I would be amazed if the Eyesight would have sensed the narrow profile of its rear end. The one a while back was running fast out of the woods from my right and wasn't directly in front of the car until I was already hard on the brakes.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Do any of you use the pairs of plastic whistles that mount on the front bumper to prevent deer, moose, other animals, etc. from jumping into the path of the vehicle? If so, is there a particular brand you would suggest? If not, why not?

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Outback Limited no Eyesight
119 Posts
If you hit the brakes hard before eyesight does, eyesight will not engage because it decides you are in control. If you didn't hear the beeping chimes and it didn't say it was engaging, it did not engage, and it was your fast brake reflex that saved the buck.

Eyesight is for when one is not paying attention.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks the title of this thread should not be "Did Eyesight Save a Deer's Life Today?"... but "Eyesight kept my Outback from getting torn up by a biga$$ rat with antlers?"

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,194 Posts
Do any of you use the pairs of plastic whistles that mount on the front bumper to prevent deer, moose, other animals, etc. from jumping into the path of the vehicle? If so, is there a particular brand you would suggest? If not, why not?
I live in a very very rural area. (lots of whitetail deer, bear, coyotes).

car whistles don't work to scare anything out of the way. (maybe $5 gets scared out of your wallet for them).

and as far as deer, they have huge ears. they can hear the cars, but maybe at this time a year more interested in mating then staying alive.

most times in the year I find them eating along side the road and not actually interested in moving.

at this time of year, a few news stories will appear about "amorous" deer creating more car wrecks, (occasionally linked in threads on this board like one).

when it is below freezing out they have to walk constantly to keep warm, vs. "bedding down".

and after mating season,.. if you live where there is snow, the deer like to keep to where there is little of it. = so driveways and plowed roads / sidewalks make for easy / fast walking. in addition to well traveled deer paths,...where you can find them crossing the road daily ....like on a walking tour schedule of the neighborhood.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
It has been many years since I have used deer whistles on any of my vehicles but they did work. In my experience they would definitely get the attention of any deer ahead of the car and they would stop wherever they were. So, if the deer was crossing the road and heard the whistle it might stop directly in the middle of your lane. Not ideal, but still makes the situation a lot more predictable.

The biggest problem I ever saw with them was they tended to plug up easily with mosquitoes and other bugs which of course would stop the whistle from working. I used them back when I mostly had vehicles with chrome/steel bumpers where they were easy to mount flat and didn't look terrible. I don't even know what brands are sold today or what they look like but I think they would stick out like a sore thumb on most cars these days.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Am I the only one that thinks the title of this thread should not be "Did Eyesight Save a Deer's Life Today?"... but "Eyesight kept my Outback from getting torn up by a biga$$ rat with antlers?"
You may be right, and I considered that point of view but decided the other way would read better.

Regarding the good comments about whether there were any alarms, I'm ashamed to say it all happened so fast I don't recall if any occurred. So, maybe it was EyeSight, and maybe not. In any event, I will still give my Subie some credit. The one other time a deer ran in front of another car I wasn't able to avoid hitting it and had a $4,000 repair bill.

·
Registered
2014 Outback, 2.5 Premium / CVT
118 Posts
I live in a very very rural area. (lots of whitetail deer, bear, coyotes).

when it is below freezing out they have to walk constantly to keep warm, vs. "bedding down".

Actually, deer (and other animinals) loose less body heat when bedded than they do when on their feet. In very cold climates they must balance their heat loss with the forage they need to survive. If they were able, they would fare better by "denning up" like bears to conserve heat and energy in winter instead of trying to push through without freezing or starving.

In the south, the heat of summer is often harder on the deer than winter.

My personal opinion living around deer for a decade over half a century, is that they think they are the fastest thing around. they expect to be able to outrun the car coming down the road, and end up getting suprised! And the rut (breeding season that lasts a couple weeks per year) causes deer to make mistakes. Part of the reason I got to skin out a 175 pound 8 point yesterday.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
350 Posts
I don't believe either did but as I said it happened so fast I'm not sure I would have noticed. With the one yesterday the deer was standing still and facing directly away from me so I would be amazed if the Eyesight would have sensed the narrow profile of its rear end. The one a while back was running fast out of the woods from my right and wasn't directly in front of the car until I was already hard on the brakes.
I live in Oakland Co., MI, which has the highest number of deer strikes in the state, as you may know. How I've managed to never have hit one I don't know, but the close calls do seem to be increasing!

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,110 Posts
If you hit the brakes hard before eyesight does, eyesight will not engage because it decides you are in control.
Not quite true. If EyeSight determines that your braking is insufficient to avoid a collision:
Pre-Collision Braking Assist operation
When the Pre-Collision Braking System is activated (when the system determines that there is a high risk of collision with an obstacle in front), if the driver depresses the brake pedal, the system determines that this is emergency braking and activates braking assist automatically.
Source: 2016 Legacy/Outback EyeSight Manual, page 29.

In essence, if EyeSight calculates that your manual (pedal?) braking effort is insufficient to avoid a collision, it will step in and help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts