Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Outback in 2001 and didn't have any problems with it until this year, coincedentally, after the 3-year warranty expired.

The first problem I had this year was a coolant leak which was "fixed" by the recall, which consisted of adding the stop leak.

For several months my clutch pedal would sporadically lose resistance though I've only had 35000 miles at this point. I had the slave cylinder replaced and this seemed to fix it but it did cost about $400.

Recently, I had another massive coolant leak at 38000. The cause was a leak in the radiator which is going to cost over $500.

I also started hearing this clicking noise when I depress the clutch pedal and the only way to fix that is by taking the transmission out so that the cross shaft could be lubricated.

On top of all this, Albany Subaru hasn't been exactly helpful and charges me a hundred dollar diagnostics fee for every little problem that I describe.

Needless to say, I've been very disappointed with my car and will never buy a Subaru again, even if my case is probably unique.

For what it's worth, I do take good care of it and do not abuse it when I drive.

Anyone else have a sob story?

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Yeah, the head gasket failure on my 98 has pretty much wrecked my confidence in the reliability of Subarus, and the fact that SOA offers no help, and refuses to recognize a problem, wrecks my faith in their goodwill. It is very unlikely that I will buy another Subaru product again.

Meanwhile, I'd like to solicit a $100 contribution from each board member so I can fix that thing and get it back on the road, for however long the next gaskets may last...

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Hold on now, with the clutch slave cylinder problem, that was a TSB. I had mine done for free. You don't have many miles on your vehicle, don't you think that should have been a no-charge? Are you sure they didn't know about the TSB when the work was performed? You can get your money back if your vehicle was in the TSB, but you fixed the problem before hand. If you need anymore info on the TSB, let me know. Just in case you were not aware of it. Brian

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
I was watching Mythbusters on Sunday night...they were testing some car myths (sugar in gas tank, etc...) and, strangely, the only one that worked was cracking open an egg into the radiator to stop a leak.
They punched a hole in the radiator then started the car. Fluid was spewing out. Then they cracked an egg into the filler hole and like 5 seconds later, the leak stopped. How freaking strange is that?

As for your "lemon"...no, you don't have a lemon, and more importantly, there is no reason to believe that the same thing would'nt have happened if you had bought a Honda or Ford or whatever.
It does sound like you've got a horrible dealer, but you shouldn't let them dictate your opinion of your car.
And Brian is right, look into that TSB issue, sounds like you got scammed there.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
sorry yr expereinces so far have been less than positive. i agree that it sounds like the lemon is the dealer. clutch slave at least on my 02 OBS is easy to get at and would take <1/2 hr to change, bleeding included. totally aside from them charging you for a recall item.

"massive" radiator leak sounds like physical dmg. pretty tough for a radiator to corrode through to the point of "massive" coolant leak in 3 yrs, no matter how crappy or what brand.

i'd get a 2d opinion next time before relying on anything they tell you. or go to a different dealer...isn't there more than one in the bay area? or an independent shop staffed by Sub enthusiasts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fellas, thanks for the responses and advice.

Maybe someone could clarify this for me, but isn't a service bulletin different from a recall in that the recall is covered by the mfr and a TSB isn't.

My original email to Subaru was as follows:
My car recently developed a 'sticky pedal clutch' problem, where the pedal doesn't come back up after depressing it. A little bit of researched showed that this seems to be a problem with other Subarus as well, yet there has been no recall on it. Because my car is just over 3 years old, this is not covered under the new car warranty. My dealer also said it wouldn't be covered by the Powertrain warranty.

SOA sent me the default email that they were looking into it but never followed up.

I did find the TSB right here:
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2041

After I found it and pointed it out to the dealer, they said they were aware of it (yet they never mentioned it when I first took it in).

The Subaru radiators are mostly plastic so I don't think it's a corrosion issue, but you might be right, maybe it suffered some kind of trauma.

I plan to start going to Oakland Subaru, they seem to be a little more friendly there. Up until now, I've had all of my maintenance work done at Albany. Apparently, customer loyalty doesn't mean sh!# to them. I still plan to follow all this up with SOA.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
I removed my 98 radiator and had it cleaned in the early stages of head gasket denial. It is a surprisingly small, delicate and light unit once it's out of all its brackets (although my cars is MT so I don't know if the tranny cooler requires a compound unit for an AT).

*G* at the radiator shop they had a radiator from a locomotive - I swear the thing was five feet tall and made of iron. Big sheets of metal bolted together around a framework of fins several inches wide.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
know what you mean abt that huge locomotive radiator. my brother is chief engineer on a merchant ship. when they need to examine the cylinder walls on the ship's diesel engine, they climb into the cylinder, as it has a bore of abt 8 feet!:eek:

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Yep, that's what you call a 'slow roller' (low RPM's) I'm an Engineer also...A Stationary one. Licensed in Omaha, NE.

Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
bheinz57
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing