Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Outback, 15,000 miles, V6, automatic transmission. No service problems.

I was up in the hills near my house on pavement, and there is a little gravel path up to an overlook that I had spotted before and wanted to try. It looked like it would have a terrific view of the valley. It was only about 40 yards and a 15% grade.

I pulled off the road and drove to the top. Darn, no view. As I was slowly backing down, I veered a little left of where I wanted to be. The back left tire went down the steep part of the embankment. Hmmm. At that point the car is probably at a 40-degree angle, back end pointed down. Nice view of the stars through the windshield, though!

My friend got out and took a look. Nothing was in the way behind us, so I just continued backing and it was no problem. 5 more yards and it leveled out just fine. A great story.

Then I realized we were putting out a ton of smoke from the tailpipes. I drove it another 100 yards downhill, and there was still a ton of smoke. Definitely oil by the smell. I had it towed back.

But now I'm perplexed. What happened? There were no rocks or anything to hit. I was just at a very steep angle for 1 to 2 minutes.

What I'm hoping you say is, "Oh, at that angle you got some oil where it shouldn't have been and it just has to burn off." What I'm hoping you don't say is that the engine is completely trashed.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
If you didn't hit anything I doubt the engine is trashed. The H6 is a pretty hardy little thing. Either way having it towed was the right decision just to be sure you did not damage it more.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,954 Posts
If the oil light never went on, it's just what you suspect, the rear cylinders got a bunch of oil around the pistons and some of this made its way into the cylinders, should burn right off.

Now the fact your engine has been bent into a 'V', that's an issue...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wait, you mean it's not supposed to be in a "V" shape?????

I realized after I wrote it that that was probably wrong, so I looked it up. But I decided not to correct it to 6 cyl, 3.6L engine so that you would understand exactly what kind of automotive genius you were dealing with. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts