Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the JDM grill from Subie Bros. Installed it today. Looks pretty good I think. A couple musings from the install today.
1. Second time since owning the car that I've unplugged the fog lights. And am not a fan of how the wiring conduit and connector collect water. Can see this becoming a wear & tear problem down the road.
2. Wheel arch molding can loose it's conture pretty easy. And I can't believe the screw you have to take out (To remove the bumper) doesn't go through the wheel well liner. The screw is so long is pushes the liner away leaving a nice gap for water and what not to get in. I drilled a hole in the liner for the screw to go through, helped a little.
3. Apparently in Japan or other markets the Outback has a forward facing camera. As the grill came with a blank off plate for just below the Subaru emblem.
4. I did the job myself, about 1-1 1/2 Hrs. No rush.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6r
366 Posts
3. Apparently in Japan or other markets the Outback has a forward facing camera. As the grill came with a blank off plate for just below the Subaru emblem.
Correct, in other markets (read: all) the Outback can be configured with niceties such as semi auto cruise control, full 360 cameras, and power folding mirrors.
But not in the US because screw us right?

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
677 Posts
So I saw the backing plate for the grille/camera opening. What are the other 2 black pieces for? The subie bros video is for a 2015-2017 so no mention of it

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I saw the backing plate for the grille/camera opening. What are the other 2 black pieces for? The subie bros video is for a 2015-2017 so no mention of it
I imagine to hold the camera in place.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Knowing how Subaru reuses parts. The opening looked like a perfect fir for the current backup camera.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited; 2" LP Aventure lift, LPA skid plates and small bumper guard, diff breather relocation, subframe skids; Motegi MR118 17x8et32 wheels; Yakima LoadWarrior with extension; ARB
318 Posts
Very nice! Those grills look great, just wish they didn't cost as much!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had my Subie authorized body shop replace the grill last week, several days after taking delivery of my new 2018 3.6R Touring. Can't tell the bumper was ever touched.
Looks amazing.
Were you tempted to black the chrome and how long did the shop take ?

I want to do it to mine but the cost plus installation will be about the same for 17" rims and a set of KO2 in Canadian dollars. I'm going to wait.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium w/Eyesight package #14
357 Posts
I had my Subie authorized body shop replace the grill last week, several days after taking delivery of my new 2018 3.6R Touring. Can't tell the bumper was ever touched.
How much did they charge, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,403 Posts
2. Wheel arch molding can loose it's conture pretty easy. And I can't believe the screw you have to take out (To remove the bumper) doesn't go through the wheel well liner. The screw is so long is pushes the liner away leaving a nice gap for water and what not to get in. I drilled a hole in the liner for the screw to go through, helped a little.
You'd be better off going to a shorter screw - the hole you made for it is now a great path for water to get behind the liner and speed up the rusting process.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You'd be better off going to a shorter screw - the hole you made for it is now a great path for water to get behind the liner and speed up the rusting process.
That's funny! I live in WA. None of the cars I've owned have rusted yet. New cars are treated and the paint jobs are pretty rust resilient.
And considering the wheel arch molding wasn't double back tapped or anything. All four could be water traps.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Love your grill. Did one to my 2017 as well and it changed the look of the car, particulary with the 2017 grill which is worse than the 2018 grill. Wonder why Subaru dealers don’t offer this as a dealer upgrade? Maybe with some improved wheels and tires...Would be a nice sport model and they could expand margins. Oh well...they aren’t calling to ask my opinion!

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
1,250 Posts
Correct, in other markets (read: all) the Outback can be configured with niceties such as semi auto cruise control, full 360 cameras, and power folding mirrors.
But not in the US because screw us right?
Any way to add any of the JDM niceties to our US Outbacks? I’m thinking of getting JDM grille and a front facing camera sounds like a good thing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts