Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A woman was seriously injured after her stalled car was struck by another vehicle on Interstate 94 near Gurnee Il Sunday.afternoon.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
887 Posts
Eyesight may have braked and lessened the impact somewhat, but it isn't capable of stopping in time from 60 MPH, for a fixed obstacle. It's still up to the driver to look out the windshield and react.

The real lesson here is don't stay in a stalled car, if you can safely get out and away from it. Get yourself behind it so that if it is struck, the car and debris are thrown away from you. Even if the stalled car is on the shoulder, intoxicated drivers will focus on the hazard lights and plow right into it.

Your photo shows an Outback that protected its passengers surprisingly well. I'd say that's a win.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Some 2018 cars eyesight was optional, in 2019 it was standard in all trims. That’s either a 2018 or 2019.

·
Registered
Outback 2021 Premium 2.5L
473 Posts
I think if the delta is ~30MPH all bets are off about not touching. (so stationary object and subie doing 30, or car doing 30 and subie doing 60). Reduced impact, but unassisted I think that is the upper limit.

·
Premium Member
2021 Onyx XT
103 Posts
Your photo shows an Outback that protected its passengers surprisingly well. I'd say that's a win.
I agree. Even Subaru's wording is "mitigate" a collision. Speeding on the Illinois Tollway is nuts. Even on the portions where the speed limit is 60, I've routinely seen people passing by doing at least 80 or more, travelling in packs less than a couple of car lengths apart..

I believe this portion has a 70 mph limit. If the car that was hit was stalled and traffic was moving at 70 or more ( most likely) and the person in front of the the Subaru swerved out of the way at the last moment, the Subie probably had little chance to stop in time.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Actually, I have some experience with this, but not the breaking. A stalled car (a nice classic) in the middle lane after an accident choke point, so the road was empty and everyone had gotten up to +10 over the speed limit. No hazards (really, I get brain farts, but omg) and as I was looking at it the car gave me obstacle detected, I cursed really loudly, and I switched lanes.

The real question then, IF this had eyesight, did they pay attention to the warning? Was there a warning mode in that model?

(been my experience with the car, without ACC it will yell at you if it senses the wrong actions like speeding up to a stopped car or with ACC it will abruptly begin slow and alert if the thing in front of you is not moving)

Reactions: StanTheMan

·
Registered
172 Posts
Some 2018 cars eyesight was optional, in 2019 it was standard in all trims. That’s either a 2018 or 2019.
Given that it has the chrome lining on the windows in guessing it is a higher trim so even as 2018 it probably has eyesight.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Given that it has the chrome lining on the windows in guessing it is a higher trim so even as 2018 it probably has eyesight.
The only trims that had eyesight standard in 2018 were the 2.5 touring, 3.6 Limited, 3.6 touring.

Those wheels are the limited trim wheels. If a 2018, and it’s a 3.6, eyesight was standard. If it’s a 2.5 limited, Eyesight was an option.

looks like a 2.5 ( no 3.6 R badge)

·
Registered
473 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
117 Posts
It also has the standard roof rack so definitely not a touring and I do not see a sunroof which I think is on most with Eyesight. I could be wrong though.

·
Premium Member
2020 White Limited Hybrid
380 Posts
Wonder what flattened the back tire...

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
2018 Moonroof with eyesight was an option for the premium trim. All limiteds had the moonroof standard… and the package with eyesight was bundled with navigation. Possible to have a moonroof on a 2019 limited with no eyesight.

2019 just made eyesight standard and was no longer part of any package.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
It definitely had the sunroof option. See the second photo in my original post. The wheels also look like those on a '18 or '19. ALY68861U30.LC190 Subaru Outback Wheel Charcoal Machined #28111AL16A
The headlights and grille are the redesigned 2018/2019 version too. The back bumper is slightly different in the 2018 redesign, if you know what that looks like… this one has that too.

2015-2017

2018-2019

Front cladding is a different contour, but no clear pics of that.

I mentioned the limited wheels a few posts back because that was a thing highlighted in the 2018 redesign… the new style wheels on the limited trim. The earlier ones looked more like the touring wheels design.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts