Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, when we returned from a two-week vacation in early January 2010, the OEM battery in our '07 Outback was dead and wouldn't take a charge. I was a bit surprised, but Florida's heat and humidity is notoriously hard on batteries, so, well, fair enough.

I replaced it (on 1/8/10) with a new Sears Die-Hard Gold.

And it went dead today. It started the car here at home, but it wouldn't at the grocery story where my wife had parked it. Now, her use of the car is mostly for short, suburban trips -- it gets very little in the way of anything longer than about 15-20 minutes -- so, sure, that's tough on a battery.

But 32 months? Really?

The AAA guy put in a new 36-month Interstate battery with a national guarantee for all of $5 more than the Die-Hard had cost at Sears (and I had picked it up and installed it myself, no less), and he did it in the parking lot and with good humor.

So, along with Red Stripe, I'll say "Hooray, Triple-A", and I'll make a mental note that the reputation of those Sears batteries seems to be based more on marketing snake-oil than on reality. HPH

·
Registered
341 Posts
Idk, sounds pretty much right to me. Average battery life is 3 to 5 years and yours was just under 3. Hopefully the Triple A batt will last longer

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I'm sorry you don't think you got your money's worth, but you actually might have. Florida and South Texas kill batteries. If you get two years you are doing good and brand doesn't matter. If I lived in that area I would simply buy cheap batteries and replace them every two years.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/48045-check-your-batteries.html#post457781

Basically most batteries are only expected to last 30-41 months in your area. With the record breaking heat we have been having I'd say 30 months even in BocaRaton is still good.

My friend's father was quite angry when his 10 year old battery finally died. I can understand why you are upset...him not so much. I'm guessing you have had better luck than you have had lately with this one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Interstate is a good brand and you shouldn't have to worry about a battery for your car for some time. just fyi Interstate offers "blemish" batteries that are half price but have a defect that does not affect the operation or safety of the battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
urabn yeti
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing