Subaru Outback Forums banner

Diesel Clutch Issues

42K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  Noodles53 
#1 ·
Hi all,

New here. Was wondering if any other turbo diesel Outback owners have experienced clutch issues. Slipping when cold, throw out bearing noise etc???

#2 ·
Yes use search there have been a few Austrailia and UK owners who reported this issue with the early models. Haven't heard or read any comments for some time now about this though. I recall a couple of them ended up getting a new clutch from Subaru or partial cost covered etc.

In the US the clutch issues more or less are caused by user error very few American's these days know how to drive a MT car as a result Subaru sees lots of fried clutches at very short mileage intervals. Which case many of those dealers and shop managers highly suggest to said owners that they need to simply get an automatic given they clearly can't drive a MT correctly. ;-)

Good luck use search you may find some good info in the older threads and comments from the diesel guys.

#4 ·
Definitely don't ride the clutch and can drive a manual. It slips really bad when cold and its not something I'd expect from a car thats only done 40k and been cared for with kid gloves. I'm confident to say its not an operator issue but mechanical. I've head stories of other diesels having clutch issues and would like to hear from others who have dealt with Subaru over this issue.

#6 ·
I have a 2012 Subaru outback Diesel, 2 year old and has done less than 49K
the clutch started to slip, producing burning fumes and the gear would not change easily from 1 to 2 or 2to 3. My car was not drivable and had to be towed back to the repair centre. The Subaru Service center advised me that 99% of the time this would be treated as "wear and tear" rather than "warranty repair". Approx $4,000 cost to fix the clutch and the Flywheel.
I cannot believe this!!! 2 year old car that was purchased brand new and has done less than 49K to have a complete clutch Failure! Surely the cost of the repair should be categorised as "warranty Repair" NOT "retail repair". I should not be paying for this. I have driven manual gear cars for over 20 years and never had a clutch damage.
so annoyed!

#8 ·
Going through exactly the same problem myself - 50,000 miles (three years old) and the clutch is deceased, had to be towed home - local garage have just advised me that the fly wheel looks faulty - I've been complaining to the Subaru dealer for about two years and they've fobbed me off every time. Like you, I've been driving extensively for nearly 30 years now and have never, ever had a problem with a clutch & so I am sure it is not my driving style. The biggest issue I now have is that I'm one week past the warranty certificate - guess I have to shout very loud if I'm going to be taken seriously!

#11 ·
Probably a good reason Subaru only sells the diesel with a CVT now. I suspect they didn't get the clutch and gearing right with the power band you get the wrong combo with the diesel and the clutch is getting some major torque at the really low engine speeds - wrong gearing and you have people stalling it and having to bring the revs up to avoid stalling yet putting big torque on the clutch pads and plate in low gears.

#12 ·
I am truly concerned about the clutch. My wife and I live in regional Austand drove non-automatic cars for many years and could get about 150k before any repairs to clutch were needed. We have travelled 120k and yesterday I smelled that burning sign and arranged to have it towed. This is the third time! The first time was after only after 10k! Any advice would be appreciated.

#13 ·
I really wish they offered diesel Subaru in North America so I could have clutch problems too. :) ...welll, not the problems

I drove Diesel VW for over 160K miles and LOVED the 50+ MPG. I would be one of the first people in line to sign up for a diesel Outback.

#14 ·
Our Outback has 120k. The clutch went first at 10k Subaru accepted responsibility,but the second went at about 70k and yesterday it has happened again. We have driven non automatic cars over many years and do not live in a major city. I am so upset because we are otherwise happy with the diesel Outback. I have no mechanical knowledge but would appreciate advice as to my approach to the Company

#16 ·
Subaru Diesel Clutch problem - Me too!

I bought a second hand Subaru Turbo Diesel (2012 Model) Manual. It had 60,000 k on it when I bought it. It has now only done 84,000 k and the clutch is completely gone! My mechanic cannot believe it either. So I agree there is a problem with this drive set up. My suspicion is that the low range gears, and odd feeling ratios when driving around town (1 to 3 mostly) despite there being 6 gears leads to clutch heavy driving.
Either way I am upset too. The clutch repair just cost me $3444.00.

#17 ·
Clutch problem - not me

120,000 km on the MY10 Premium Diesel Manual and no problems yet. I have towed a reasonable amount with it as well.

I got 160,000 km out of the clutch on the MY04 2.5i petrol manual Outback that I had before that. That MY04 petrol did a lot of towing too.

I find that the clutch on the 2010-2013 diesel feels heavy and my partner hates driving the car because of that. I find that I get a bit of shudder through the clutch first thing on cold mornings, but that disappears after the first couple of changes and the clutch warms up.

#18 ·
2010 turbo diesel clutch

Hi. I have a MY 2010 manual turbo Diesel Outback. Two clutches gone (first at 20,000kms; second at 77,000kms. Vehicle now at approx 110,000kms). I am an experienced manual driver (this is my third manual Subaru wagon). I do not tow often or heavy loads. First time Subaru Australia said "won't cover under warranty but will cover cost of replacement and hire vehicle". Second time Subaru Australia said "in the absence of any other indications, it is fair wear and tear and therefore excluded from warranty". I now have the threat of debt recovery re the second replacement (which is being billed at approx AUD$1,800). I still have the occasional "burning metal" smell from the clutch. Would be interested in any same or similar experiences. Anthony

#21 ·
My partner does not enjoy driving our manual MY2010 turbo diesel (and she loves driving), and now is very concerned/anxious every time she heads-off on another country drive (memories of being twice stranded road-side with smoke pouring out of the engine from the dead clutch).

#22 ·
Mechanics and engineers have invariably advised that it comes down to two separate and/or combined reasons: too much torque for the particular clutch. In this respect, the vehicles are not of merchantable quality nor fit for purpose (regardless of warranty periods). I'm engaged in an ongoing discussion with both Subaru Australia ("computer says no") and the Dealer who repaired the second clutch ("I don't make the cars - I only sell them").

#23 ·
I suspect you are correct. Subaru Australia's view, as communicated to me, is: "it's the conditions and the way the driver operates the vehicle"; and (my favourtie non-sequitor argument to date), "as it's out of warranty, and the clutch is specifically excluded, it's fair wear and tear" (try making sense of that).

#25 ·
Hi everyone, I have a 2009 Subaru Legacy 2.0l diesel. 11 months ago at 79,000km my clutch failed. I had to get towed to the nearest service agent who could undertake the repair. It cost NZD3,000. Now, 11 months and 14,000 km later the clutch has failed again. The service agent is saying it's either my driving style (I drove the original clutch for 79,000 km before it failed!) or it is "fair wear and tear". I had to get the vehicle towed back to the original service agent (cost NZD350) rather than going to my local garage and the service agent tells me that "even if Subaru accept a defective clutch they will not pay for any associated labour costs or the towing fee".
I cannot accept that 11 months and 14,000 km is 'fair wear and tear' but how do I fight Subaru? There are plenty of threads around that suggest a design failure - the dual mass flywheel (why a dual mass flywheel when straight forward flywheels would be more robust?) is not up to the job of accepting the torque from the turbo diesel, especially with the low gears being to tall.
I feel like joining the Australian movement for a class action against Subaru except I live in NZ.

#24 ·
We have a 2010 Diesel Outback, and apparently quite "lucky" as we managed to get 88KLMS out of the OEM clutch. $4000 plus labor for a new aftermarket heavy duty clutch and flywheel. If it fails again, it will only be a $1200 repair with this new setup. The original clutch is just not strong enough. Epic fail and disappointment for an otherwise awesome car.

#26 ·
Does anyone know what component in the clutch actually fails prematurely? Friction pads or something else?

My previous 2.5i had the throw out bearing let go at around 160,000 km. It was still driveable but it made a terribly loud squeal when you depressed the clutch to change gear.

#27 ·
M. de Burgh

I have a 2015 model diesel outback with Manual transmission. After 1 year and 30,000km the clutch died. I was appalled. Now 2 years and 67,000 the clutch has died again. I have driven cars for 30yrs. The car is still under warranty for what's worth. And no I do not ride the clutch. This kind of failure is unprecedented in my experience. The car is now back with Subaru. I will post on this thread what happens next. I am very keen to hear of other peoples experiences.

#28 ·
I am still on my original clutch at 142,000 km. Still no problems.

Did anyone find out what part of the clutch had failed?

I strongly suspect some sort of quality issue given the huge variation in distance till failure (providing the same part of the clutch is failing).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.