Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi so I m new. Even to auto mechanics. And I was wanting to know if anyone has ever changed a h6 3.0L out of an outback ll bean edition for a 6 cylinder diesel engine and if so can any 6 cyl work for a switch or does it have to be a subaru diesel engine?
I want to lift my car 2in with air cups and add a 6cyl diesel with a manual transmission if I can but I have no idea how or what techniques and tools and methods and considerations I need to take into account for.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,472 Posts
this would be a monumental undertaking. Made worse by the following; there is no Subaru diesel 6, only a 4 sold overseas. And, you are swapping trans as well so, more wiring and likely ECU and maybe rear diff changes.

almost better to find the diesel 4 or AWD you want and drop the soob body on on it.....

can you tell us what your goal is?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Goal is to have a Subaru with a lifted body for off-roading and difficult terrain such as mountainous terrains and mud bottoms. As well be able to make my own diesel fuel and I trust manuals the most thus the manual transmission conversion

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,954 Posts
Sell the bean and buy a shell. Preferably with a manual.

Then find a supplier in Europe that will ship a Diesel Boxer+drive train internationally.

Then run it on stand alone engine management. Prepare to give up things like ABS and Cruise control.

There are only a hand full of Diesel Subaru's in the US.

It can be done but expect 100+ of hours of work and tens of thousands of dollars in cost.

·
Registered
'19 Outback Touring 3.6R
258 Posts
I'm new. Even to auto mechanics.
Based on those words alone you should look to buy exactly the vehicle you want and not even try to do the modifications you're talking about. Brucey isn't joking about the potential amount of time and money your proposed project would entail!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotcha. Dang that's sucks. I really appreciate it guys. That helps to know now. Lol guess I m just gonna have to buy a straight diesel. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,472 Posts
what about a propane or biogas conversion? Maybe even find someone that would trade biodiesel for propane??? MUCH more doable on the car-side of the equation.

And soob automatics (like the 4EAT) do VERY well off-road.

The lifting, skid plates, HD axles, other mods are all do-able - many folks here and maybe over at www.ultimatesubaru.org could help you with that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for all yalls suggestions and help. And thanks 1 Lucky Texan, I ll definitely look into that.
Wow nice so, actually I was also interested in lifting the soob too. So that's doable and not as far reaching as switching over the engine and trans?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts