Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it ever is produced and comes stateside, I am selling the OB.

Subaru Viziv Concept Previews Future Styling, Diesel-Hybrid Tech | AutoGuide.com News

I am sure you have read it and have read the many threads longing for a diesel stateside, but the hybrid diesel combo would be a dream.

Peugot has one and VW is purported to be bringing one here.

An AWD one would get my $. Anyone else stateside interested in a hybrid diesel?

EDIT: Should have posted this in the Car Lounge.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
Diesel technology? Yes.
Hybrid technology? No.

I love diesels. They have excellent fuel economy, and phenomenal long-term reliability. I don't know that I would personally consider owning one, but I like the technology and glad that it is around and becoming more common.

Hybrid... while many people are major proponents of hybrid technology, I am a major opponent. I don't like the fact that they contribute more to the destruction of nature (thanks to nickel and rare earth metal mining/production... I realize hybrids alone aren't responsible for this), there are gasoline and diesel powered vehicles that get better fuel economy, and for me, they kill a lot of what I enjoy about driving a car.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your spot on regarding the battery system's use of rare earth metals and the overall environmental footprint.

Driveability and fun factor is improving with hybrids and BEVs for certain, but I know the anti-hybrid sentiment is strong with many enthusiasts for various reasons.

I imagine a Subie Hybrid/Diesel would have loads of torque and retain some driving characteristics in the suspension and steering that would make it fun despite the weight. Obviously this is conjectural b.s. but it doesn't hurt to hope for all those things in a high mpg AWD subie.

·
Registered
2003, Subaru Outback, 2.5, 4cy.
1 Posts
I thought they had the diesel legacy in europe and it got somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 mpg, I think I saw it on BBC's Top Gear a year or two ago.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought they had the diesel legacy in europe and it got somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 mpg, I think I saw it on BBC's Top Gear a year or two ago.
I will have to find and watch that episode. Probably imperial gallons, but still...

I am not going to hold my breath for the diesel, but I would be hard pressed to go without AWD. The mpg torque combo would be pretty awesome if the CVT (almost a guarantee with a Hybrid) can handle it. I think I read that the diesel OB in OZ is a CVT?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,868 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,940 Posts
MOD Note: Too the Car Lounge it goes. . .

As for diesel hybrids, they've worked great on locomotives for years.

I am torn about using them in cars, as others have mentioned, there are serious problems with battery production, and for me the added complexity just means big maintenance bills if you buy the car used or plan to keep it for a while. That being said, I've always wondered why we don't see more diesel hybrids, because they should be way more efficient than gas hybrids. It will be interesting to see what they work up.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I am torn about using them in cars, as others have mentioned, there are serious problems with battery production, and for me the added complexity just means big maintenance bills if you buy the car used or plan to keep it for a while. That being said, I've always wondered why we don't see more diesel hybrids, because they should be way more efficient than gas hybrids. It will be interesting to see what they work up.

In a car purchased in a CARB state, which I believe your states (MT, ID, ND) are not, you would have a 150k and 10 year warranty on the battery and hybrid powertrain which would alleviate some worry about high tech engineering bollocks. Environmental impact of the battery or the possibility of the Li cells not behaving probably can't be reconciled by the great warranty.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
276 Posts
Just for the record, there other types of hybrids.

Hydraulic Hybrids are an option. Instead of storing energy in a battery, energy is stored via compressing air that is used to power hydraulic fluid through a hydraulic motor. During (positive) acceleration, fluid is passed from a high pressure tank to a low pressure tank. During braking the hydraulic motor is used to pump the fluid from the low tank to the high pressure tank.

No rare earth metals involved and the energy recuperation from braking is supposed to be higher.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts

Not to mention a vehicle that has rough / off pavement use (raised suspension) will see road vibration that electrics hate. More advanced electrics paired with rough off pavement use equals broken car with complex costly repairs.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the new information ScoobyRu. I did not know about the hydraulic hybrid pump recapture during braking.

Sailor, I would think that the increased exposure to mud, water, and road dust/dirt by many AWD Subie drivers might also increase the chances of screwing up the hybrid electrical system. Being covered by a CA hybrid dive train warranty would probably raise my personal risk tolerance and prompt me to purchase. Purely hypothetical, unless we have some serious market shakeup stateside, I can't see that diesel coming over the pond if it is ever produced.

I see we have a parallel thread by AutoGuide about this prototype future Euro dream car.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i
31 Posts
Ditto to what others have said- if it's just a Diesel, I'd be interested. If the hybrid actually improved the mileage a lot (unlike the difference between the crosstrek and crosstrek hybrid now) then I'd be interested.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts