Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an attempt to be nice my father filled my 6 cyl. LL Bean with diesel instead of gas. We didn't start it and my mechanic drain the tank via the fuel pump. The engine starts hard now and hesitates when taking off. It is worse at first and then slow goes away the longer I drive.
After initianally draining the tank the car was refilled with gas, I don't think the fuel filter was changed.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
soon, an OBS
18 Posts
i don't see how he did that, the nozzles are different sizes - but...

if you didn't drain the fuel line and replace the fuel filter, you are going to have problems. i suggest a good injector cleaner as well.

-steve

·
Registered
'02 H6 Sedan - gone :(
169 Posts
Speaking from personal...oops... I mean a friend of mine once did the same thing in a carborated vehicle. Drained the tank, replaced fuel filter, changed spark plugs. Car ran good for another 20-30k miles. Had the engine rebuilt at that time due to over 200k miles on the clock.

Not sure how these fuel injected vehicles react.

·
Registered
Formerly - '02 Outback Limited Sedan
297 Posts
A ticked off fuel vendor filled a job tank with diesel instead of gas on one of my brother's job sites. My brother filled his company truck up before his 1 hour drive home.....he didn't make it. The vendor ruined 4 pick-up engines that day.... he was ticked because he felt he wasn't getting paid fast enough...now he's being sued!

My brother said they tried to repair his, but it would just ran like crap. Shame, too, it was only about 3-4 months old. He didn't notice the diesel smell, 'cause the job site was at a refinery (go figure).

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
gasoline is about half volatile organic solvents these days, which are just the trick for cleaning out residues of hydrocarbons like diesel.

i'd have em change fuel filter, hook a catch can up to fuel rail test port, and flush gasoline through lines with fuel pump. i think this, maybe add some Techronish or octane boosterish stuff next couple of tankfuls, and you'll be OK. you may need to clean the injectors off the engine and/or IAC assy, see threads on that.

good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts