Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would take it for a long drive up the Calder Hwy and come to Bendigo for lunch. That should burn it off. Going to be 37deg here today so wear your shorts and thongs.
Thanks Wilko1, have you had a similar engine light problem. And just gone on a long drive which fixed that? Initially I thought that. But now that the engine light is on, I'm somewhat concerned.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,199 Posts
I have a 3.6 so can't help personally but a friend of mine had his light come on and fixed it with a long drive. The Subie dealer here in Bendigo Innes Motors is an independent dealer and not aligned with Subaru Australia. They advised a another friend not to buy the diesel as even running around rural Bendigo it would have issues. It needs a good long high speed run.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,650 Posts
You need to read your owners manual as all the information about caring for your DPF is in the owners manual.

I do not own a diesel Subaru BUT if I remember what I have read correctly, (my memory could be very wrong) the flashing light means the DPF is regenerating and that you need to keep driving until it stops flashing, meaning the regen is complete. If you did not do this you may end up needing to get a “forced regen” done by the dealer (or someone who has a scanner with this function).

Again from memory, the ECU programming gives you several opportunities to do the regen BEFORE you need to visit a dealer to get a forced regen done.

Wilko’s suggestion of a long drive is a good one. If the drive can include hilly terrain where you need to get the engine revving harder that would be better. Again from memory the DPF needs to get to around 400 degrees Celsius BEFORE the ECU will try to do a regen (which is why you need a long drive). Once the regen starts you need to drive for around 25 minutes to allow time for the regen to complete.

Now my head hurts ;-)

Seagrass

21 - 23 of 23 Posts