Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
09 Legacy GT, 08 Legacy 2.5i, 09 Outback 2.5i
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious the reasoning behind the different engine top belt guards on these cars. The half metal type guard (2nd pic) looks like it has some type of shroud fastening hole at the left front side but I have no idea what it is really for. This is really just a curiosity about why they are different. Hope everyone had/is having a great thanksgiving holiday!

First pic is my son's 2009 Outback 2.5i SE...
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

2nd is my 2008 Legacy 2.5i Limited...
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Auto part

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,868 Posts
could just be quicker to install on the production line.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,405 Posts
Plastic is probably cheaper than metal, cheaper to form and maybe even lighter, so that could explain the switch from 2008 metal to 2009 plastic?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plastic is probably cheaper than metal, cheaper to form and maybe even lighter, so that could explain the switch from 2008 metal to 2009 plastic?
Yeah, this is what my son was thinking but my neighbor has a 2003 OB that has the simpler one piece plastic belt guard so a bit older than both these. Oh well, I'm not gonna lose sleep about it...

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,968 Posts
It is hard to tell from your photos.
  • Your UPPER photo appears to be a serpentine belt design. (ONE belt)
  • Your LOWER photo appears to be the ol' dual-belt design.
Lets not forget you are comparing Outback -to- Legacy which had different cadence of design-changes.

-------------------
Additionally. some of the older metal belt-covers were solidly attached to the AC compressor. Under some conditions, (especially if the bolts were tightened in the wrong sequence) the torque of the engine would 'pull' on the belt-shroud twisting the compressor. This would cause Oring to leak freon on some vehicles. This is pretty well documented and the torque-sequence would fix most leaks.

There was an 'intrum' design-change with the dual-belt design which eliminated the guard from pulling on the AC compressor.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is hard to tell from your photos.
  • Your UPPER photo appears to be a serpentine belt design. (ONE belt)
  • Your LOWER photo appears to be the ol' dual-belt design.
They are both the two belt setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts