Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this might sound like a stupid question on this forum but what are the major differences between the Legacy, OB & Forester? I've seen certain older models with the "Outback Legacy" badge so I'm not sure if their are big differences or is just the size.

Tks

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Basically, there is the Legacy platform and the Impreza platform. Then they developed the Outback from the wagon version of the Legacy, and the Forester as a small SUV version of the Impreza - and they also made the wagon version they badge as Outback Sport.

Then, they came out with an Outback version of the Legacy sedan, and the Baja version of the Outback.

Meanwhile you can buy a Forester badged as a Chevy in India, and SAAB is selling a "new" wagon that is the wrx wagon with a SAAB front clip.

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
Saab is also selling the TS/RS wagon badged as the 9-2X Linear.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
So does anyone know - do the new Outbacks and Legacies stilll share the same structure? Specifically, when they made the OB bigger, did they do the same with the sedan and Baja versions of the platform?

I still wish they offered a butch version of the OB, more like a "sedan delivery" type wagon without rear quarter windows.

Yeah, I know I'm crazy.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
As far as I know and I was told this by a Subaru salesman, the Legacy Wagon and Outback share exactly the same exterior and interior body dimensions. Of course the Outback is taller.. Hey you can always put curtains on those rear windows to give the car a more homey look... Actually my mom & dad had a wagon when I was a kid which always had curtains at the back there..:eek:

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
Jondalar said:
Hey you can always put curtains on those rear windows to give the car a more homey look
OMG we can corner the all-terrain hearse market!

(or, would that be coroner the market...)

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
The_Lizard said:

OMG we can corner the all-terrain hearse market!

(or, would that be coroner the market...)
LOL very funny! :D Maybe Subaru should be informed of a new business opportunity ;) Custon curtains for the rear side windows in colours matching the car's (or is that truck's) exterior, and there could be the 555 Rally logo ones for the sportier Outbacks :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
hvlwnc said:
Saab is also selling the TS/RS wagon badged as the 9-2X Linear.
edit: editing out my dumbness. :eek: I just checked out the Saab site. I thought they were only offering the Aero as standard.

you go hvlwnc :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
The_Lizard said:
Basically, there is the Legacy platform and the Impreza platform. Then they developed the Outback from the wagon version of the Legacy, and the Forester as a small SUV version of the Impreza - and they also made the wagon version they badge as Outback Sport.
Wait a minute... the Forester is built on the Impreza platform?? I guess a spec check might surprise me but it's always appeared unique enough (and bigger than the Impreza) such that I thought the Forester was a separate line. So all of Subaru's offerings boil down to 2 platforms? ****, that's efficient :)

Subie Newbie,
-Peter

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
That was the case when I bought my 98. I don't know if that's still true.

So as someone once told me, the Forester has more of a rally/race heritage than the OB.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well, I'll be darned - the Impreza and Foreseter have the exact same wheelbase... slightly different track (wider on the Forester with wider tires) but you know they have the exact same engines and transmissions, the curb weights are within 25 pounds of each other, the EPA ratings are identical... and the fuel tanks are the exact same size.

They've had me fooled since the Forester came out - and I'd like to think I know a thing or two about cars!

-Peter
(former Ford Motor Co employee)

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
I'm not surprised that their mechanical specifications would be so similar, but I am surprised that the weights are so close. I would have guessed that boxy Forester body would add at least 100 pounds.

I still think it would have an effect on the dynamic balance of the car, moving the center of balance up and to the rear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts